Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Leaking terry nappy

(6 Posts)
EggsMichelle Thu 18-Apr-13 20:40:02

I have recently started using terry nappies on my 4m old at night, as disposables were all leaking around his tummy (sleeps on front) now he is sleeping through. However he is now leaking at the top of his legs and the plastic wrap that came with it doesn't fit very well.

Can anyone recommend some better wraps to go over the terry? Preferably with adjustable size.

stargirl1701 Thu 18-Apr-13 23:17:26

Which wraps are you using? I don't use terry nappies but I love the Motherease and Blueberry Wraps. I think the Blueberries are on offer this week for Real Nappy Week - 2 for £18? I think it's at Fluff Heaven.

they'll be too big, but you've probably worked that out.

try something with a leg gusset, like motherease, thirsties, or naturebabies.

I got most of mine from [http://www.kittykins.co.uk/wraps/type/2/brand/nature+babies kittykins]] with aplix (velcro) fastening

rrreow Fri 19-Apr-13 13:44:38

Echoing what stargirl said, Motherease (the Rikki type for a pre-weaned baby, which have velcro and gussets) and Blueberry are by far the most reliable wraps.

actually, i think little lambs are the most bombproof smile

grant10 Tue 13-Aug-13 14:38:31

Hi - hopefully you've found a solution to this by now, but in case not I thought that sharing how I've managed to almost completely prevent my 3yo's night time terry from leaking would be helpful.
Firstly, focus on the nappy itself, rather than the wrap, as a nappy that's poorly fitted and too thin is unlikely to do its job of absorbing wee and preventing it from escaping. Use good quality terry squares, rather than cheap thin ones and boost the nappy as much as you can without it becoming uncomfortably bulky. (I use the kite fold with a second nappy folded over and placed inside.)
As the leg area is most prone to leaking, tuck the edge of nappy under around the legs to make it double thick and close up any gaps that might otherwise cause leaks - I actually use two extra pins to make sure the nappy stays tight enough around the legs. With a really effective nappy now in place, make sure the wrap is a good fit and that all the nappy is well tucked inside - especially around the legs. Finally, a tip which I've found hugely helpful, is to put a snug fitting onesie over the top to stop the nappy sagging down too much when it's wet, as this is when leaks are most likely to occur, especially out of the legs.

So there you are....sorted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now