This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nappy Rash in reusables

(22 Posts)

we always had a rash with tots bots so switched. rumparooz and bum genius are a
l fine. she is less sensitive now she is a nit older too. if I hadn't sold on the tots bots I'd be confident they would work again now.

hope that's some help?

Sarahh356 Fri 31-May-13 14:57:29

I would suggest a bum creme by a very good South African brand called Bennetts which I used with my son and greatly helped me! It's very very mild and soft, perfect for sensitive skin and avoiding rashes. Just use it after every nappy change (doesn't matter whether it's a reusable nappy or not).

hobnob57 Thu 30-May-13 16:07:50

Apologies for resurrecting this thread. My ds is child #3 to be using my Motherease onesizes but he is the first child to get rash from them. My dd's both got rashes from disposables hmm. His is all at the front and turns to eczema. I have him in disposables just now and it's breaking my heart sad. I'll try a strip wash in case dd2 left industrial quantities of ammonia in them, but it's only been a problem for ds since teeth/weaning.

Giraffeski Sun 21-Apr-13 19:22:48

Lljkk- agreed. I use bio powder and although DD2 has eczema she doesn't have it on et bottom and only seems to get nappy rash in disposables, so much so that I'm considering taking the cloth on holiday! It's deffo better for poo removal toogrin

lljkk Sat 20-Apr-13 18:19:14

I'll go against the grain & suggest you use Bio powder, much better at getting rid of organic residue (like wee).

unlucky83 Sat 20-Apr-13 17:49:20

I would say try a pre rinse and spin first - to get rid of the wee - it might be the ammonia in it that is irritating your DDs skin rather than powder...

Bookwolf32 Fri 19-Apr-13 18:51:41

Thanks very much. It is a pretty new machine, so I will try the extra rinse at the end. I'm already using a non-bio.

Round 4!

Fairylea Fri 19-Apr-13 17:50:04

Definitely use less powder (I only use two tablespoon full in a large nappy wash) and use an extra rinse and spin cycle at the end. I've also found aldi non bio is great for very sensitive skin, everything else seems to bring ds up in a rash and it's only around three quid for a massive box!

stargirl1701 Thu 18-Apr-13 22:05:16

I would email The Nappy Lady for advice. She is a mine of knowledge.

unlucky83 Thu 18-Apr-13 21:27:05

How old is your washing machine? If it is pretty modern to get their energy efficient ratings they use a tiny amount of rinse water..(I had a similar problem with DD2 -DD1 had old washing machine and was fine)- just not rinsing the wee out properly...
Rinse and spin before washing ...and wash with 'extra' water if you can (with mine it is called 'Aqua plus') -
(EVERY washing machine reviewed in Which when I was looking a couple of years ago was rubbish at rinsing ...)
Use less powder than even Ecover say...Ecover do a non bio and bio washing powder - you'd be better with non bio.
I found silk liners were good for sore bots too

Bookwolf32 Thu 18-Apr-13 20:55:48

Ok, I tried using just fleece liner and it's still causing redness. I don't know what else I can do. Very disappointed as I really want to be able to go cloth!

YouYoniLiveTwice Tue 16-Apr-13 15:42:09

Does Ecover have any enzymes in it? Your DD might be having an issue with those.

Do the nappies smell at all after she's peed in them? It could be a mild ammonia reaction.

stargirl1701 Tue 16-Apr-13 15:33:34

There are also silk liners for babies with very sensitive skin. The Nappy Lady sells them.

surfingbabies Tue 16-Apr-13 12:19:06

Good luck, I've just started using fleece liners instead of flushable ones & its loads better. I bought a meter of fleece & cut it up to save money smile

Bookwolf32 Tue 16-Apr-13 12:06:56

Thanks for suggestions. Had a very quick response from the Tots bots person who said to just use a fleece liner, not a paper liner. I will give it a go!

Giraffeski Tue 16-Apr-13 09:13:29

My DD2 gets a nappy rash if I dot use fleece liners- they sort of wick the moisture away and keep the bottom a bit dryer. Just cut up a £1.60 fleece blanket from Ikea, cheaper than buying the fleece by the metre I think!

stargirl1701 Mon 15-Apr-13 22:43:37

Are you using a liner?

MrsReiver Mon 15-Apr-13 21:32:28

I'm sure you can strip them using a tiny - very tiny - amount of fairy liquid then repeatedly rinsing. The experts on TB will be better informed than me!

Bookwolf32 Mon 15-Apr-13 19:52:47

No, not asked Tots, but will do, thanks. I strip washed them by doing them on a 60 degree wash twice without soap powder.

MrsReiver Mon 15-Apr-13 19:48:19

Have you asked Tots Bots on their facebook page? They're really helpful. How did you strip them?

Bookwolf32 Mon 15-Apr-13 19:41:18

Sorry, meant to say any advice gratefully received!

Bookwolf32 Mon 15-Apr-13 19:40:34

I have tried to use reusable nappies twice in the last month, but each time DD gets a very sore bottom. After the first time I asked The Nappy lady for advice and she said that our Ecover washing powder was probably the problem and to strip wash them. I did this, but after using them for the last two days DD is once again sore. She doesn't get any rash whatsoever using Naty disposables. I really want to use reusables, but unless I can solve this problem I'll have to give up. The nappies are Tots Bots.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now