This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What washing powder do you use?

(9 Posts)
HerrenaHarridan Sun 14-Apr-13 18:47:36

I was using ecover non bio and napisan but now I'm using a different machine and having 2 problems
1) some times the nappies still smell of wee and /or are stained
2) I'm having a froth explosion come out of the machine!

For 1 I have tried
A) washing them again : works for smell but not for stains (come on weather for line drying) but I cant realistically double wash every load
B) using bio powder : works but brings her out in rash even after a second rinse and with a liner!

For 2 I have tried using less powder but then a is much worse.

I would welcome any suggestions for either!

What powder keeps your nappies clean and how do i stop a sea of froth flooding from my machine!?!

FrustratedSycamoresRocks Sun 14-Apr-13 18:49:52

i used to soak overnight in Napisan and then wash with non-bio (fairy).

olivertheoctopus Sun 14-Apr-13 18:56:19

How much detergent are you using? You only need to use a tiny bit. We use about 1/4 of what we'd use for a normal wash. Never noticed any difference in results between bio or non-bio and prefer to use eco stuff like Ecover or Method. Do tend to use liquid rather than powder though. We don't soak or use Napisan either. You are using the pre-wash cycle on your machine right? You need to put them on a cycle which gives them a cold/cold prewash as going straight into a hot wash will 'set' the smells.

olivertheoctopus Sun 14-Apr-13 18:57:43

Maybe your machine needs a run through? I think you're supposed to run an empty 90 degree cycle with bio powder every now and then to clean the machine out.

HerrenaHarridan Sun 14-Apr-13 21:05:43

Have done a recent empty wash but I haven't checked the filter so that may have something to do with the sudsplosin!

Yes I put prewash on!
I use the amount of detergent it says on the box for heavy soiled and napisan (which was never a problem in the old machine) I did try dropping the amount but the nappies were stinky sad would liquid be less frothy?

My nappies are not supposed to be soaked I said no more than a couple of hours I think but could try that.

Oliver, your method sounds quite similar to mine, what temp do you wash at and how old I'd your dc?

smaths Sun 14-Apr-13 21:15:09

I think you are possibly using too much powder - too much powder can cause smells to set and you definitely don't want to have suds remaining at the end of the wash. I wash with ariel and use a quarter of the recommended dosage on the pack for heavy soiling, one of the small pink vanish scoops (sort of a large tablespoonful) works well for me as a measure - the nappies come out clean and fresh and I rarely need to strip wash. I know staining is unsightly, but the nappies will still be clean if they are properly washed. It has never bothered me and as you mention, the sun will get them properly bleached (if it would ever arrive!) Napisan is not recommended for many modern types of nappy, it can degrade the elastic.

olivertheoctopus Sun 14-Apr-13 21:21:21

You are using WAY too much detergent then if using the amount on the packet for heavy soiling in a normal wash. I use about 1/4 dosage cup of liquid Ecover in fact you can get away with not using any detergent every now and then. Always have done in 4.5 yrs of using cloth (still have 2yo in nappies).

olivertheoctopus Sun 14-Apr-13 21:23:58

Sorry, we wash them at 60 degrees with the cool pre-wash. I don't think you need to soak them. As we only have 1 in nappies at the mo and he gets through about 4/5 a day and we have quite a few nappies we prob only stick the bucket in the wash every 3/4 days and they still don't smell.

rrreow Mon 15-Apr-13 12:05:41

I use EcoSprout which I am a total convert to, but it is definitely more expensive although I use the absolute minimum, one tablespoon per wash (I used to use Waitrose own brand non-bio tablets - one tablet per wash).

Do you put your nappies on an extra rinse after the wash? That's definitely recommended when washing nappies depending on the machine. My machine does about 3-4 rinses on the hygiene cycle so I omit an extra rinse afterwards, but with my previous machine it definitely needed it - when too much detergent gets stuck in the fibres and not washed away it can cause smells to linger.

Also it's recommended to do a cold pre-rinse before you put the wash on as it helps get rid of any solid bits and rinses out the wee a bit as well (if you go straight for the hot wash I've heard it can lock smells in). I do this as opposed to an actual pre-wash.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now