Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Nappy Chat #3 - Fluff Between The Ears

(944 Posts)
PurplePidjin Wed 03-Apr-13 09:17:52

New fred brew

NappyHappy Wed 03-Apr-13 11:15:28

Already!!!????

PurplePidjin Wed 03-Apr-13 11:57:08

The other one's nearly as old as ds!

rrreow Wed 03-Apr-13 12:14:56

Ooo new thread, shiny!

We had a power cut yesterday that lasted from 2.30pm until 12.30am. There was an electrical fire in the shop that is below our flat and they blew out the electricity shock It slowly got colder and colder and DS had a nightmare getting to sleep/sleeping due to all the lights being out and it being so cold!! We had to go to bed pretty much fully clothed. Anyway, glad to be back in the land of technology once more haha.

Just registered for The Great Cloth Nappy Change anyone else in the London area going (apart from Biscuit who I already know about)?

BFG I think ANY cloth nappy you use should offset the guilt for still using any disposables. Imagine if everyone even used real nappies half the time.. that would be half the amount of nappies in landfill. You are definitely making a difference even if it doesn't feel like it.

NappyHappy Thu 04-Apr-13 05:19:52

Bloody 'ell R! Are you all ok? Its a very scary thing to have happen. We had an electrical fire when I was pg with ds2 and that was not a good time! Is your flat ok? shock Shit. We spent 2 nights in a hotel til we found somewhere else to live. How bad is the shop?

Well, someone woke every 2 hours last night. Daddy has just left for work so funny face is in with me.

How was everyone elses night?

PurplePidjin Thu 04-Apr-13 05:26:43

Rrr that sucks. Is there any damage to your place? Will you get compensation?

NH, i figured out that caffeine - including chocolate - gave ds colic back in January. Nothing since then, although it seems white choc is ssfe...

NappyHappy Thu 04-Apr-13 08:55:04

White choc is good.

My back is killing me this morning. I can smell cooking and its good.

LeBFG Thu 04-Apr-13 09:22:42

SOrry to hear about your electrical/heating problems rrreow. Hope you can sort it out ASAP. Nothing like one of the basics going to put some perspective on your life. I lived without electricity and flushing loo for a year. I now never take these things for granted!!!!

Thanks Pidj for the new fred.

rrreow Thu 04-Apr-13 11:15:03

Yeah luckily someone was there in the shop and caught it right away. So there was just some localised damage to their circuiting. No other fire damage luckily as far as I know. But still very scary. Apparently it was some old circuiting that just started smouldering for no reason so who knows what would've happened if it had been in the middle of the night instead of during the day with people there to call the fire brigade. They've had safety inspectors round, so at least the council or whoever will be on their case to get things up to speed. The joys of living above a shop sad The electricity people were pretty good though, worked through the night (they had to dig up the pavement and everything) and got everything fixed just after midnight.

Luckily with heating & lights back on DSs sleep is back to normal!

PP I couldn't have caffeine when I was exclusively BF DS. Although to be honest I can't really have much caffeine at all anyway, it makes me super jittery! Can you have Oreos, is there any caffeine in them? I made this the other day: Oreo Bark It's basically crumbled up Oreos and white chocolate. It was super nom.

PurplePidjin Thu 04-Apr-13 11:34:34

It's not worth risking, and I'm hoping the lack of choc combined with feeding in the rocking chair will shift some weight!

Spare nappies listed on cbm sales. Fingers crossed!

NappyHappy Thu 04-Apr-13 14:17:45

Recd pp! wink

I have an image of you BFG living in a converted cottage/barn for some reason. What did you do for music etc?

rrreow Fri 05-Apr-13 10:43:35

5 hours sleep <blinks> And I can't even blame DS. This pregnancy is turning me into an insomniac.

LeBFG Fri 05-Apr-13 13:06:26

Ahhhh, I still feel whimsical about being preggars rreow (even though I'm a poor incubator). I'd love a third and feel ever so slightly envious when I see a heavily pregnant woman! Bizarre hormones.

I live in something like a converted barn NH (you psychic or what?!). It's quite eco though with straw bale insulation. All music and entertainment is strictly downloaded from t'internet although I have a friend that does the local circuit singing in a band but it's a bit oldie stylie for me (think Bob Dylan). One of the very big things I miss is the english humour - we really are too old to adapt completely to our new culture!

NappyHappy Fri 05-Apr-13 13:15:30

RR, sad it sucks and I wanted to bitch slap the next person who said 'its your body preparing you for the baby' f-orf I'm tired!!!!

Tried weaning again 7.5m and he ate it! So shall be trying again later! Ds2's soft spout is going OK too.

B, Its just a vision I have of ex-pats who live in France, I think its from watching too many documentary type programs like Grand Designs of people who have built their own houses/conversions. grin

Just watching OBEM then shall crack on with the laundry. Pah.

rrreow Fri 05-Apr-13 13:20:55

I know some English people who moved to France and converted a barn... so yeah I think it's pretty much the stereotype grin

I'd probably love a third too BFG, but I HATE BEING PREGNANT. Grrr.

Yeah preparing for the baby my arse. Oddly enough I never suffered from the lack of sleep once DS1 was born. I coped quite well on 6 hours sleep, bizarre as usually I need about 9-10 hours (and that's when not pregnant!).

I had this weird dream about that couple from OBEM that I was photographing their wedding..

NappyHappy Fri 05-Apr-13 20:10:08

League of Gentlemen or Monty Python for British humour! grin

Well, ds3 managed chicken casserole for lunch and fruit with baby rice before his bath! I got a Mouli for pureeing stuff and its ace for a cheapie one! So he can have the baby friendly foods the rest have.

I always get blurry eyed at One Born. I watched 16 kids and counting after. shock

PurplePidjin Fri 05-Apr-13 20:56:00

NH, do you need me to pm you my address or have you sent to the one on pp? Either is fine smile

I was quite good at being upduffed, just a touch of anaemia and heartburn blush

NappyHappy Fri 05-Apr-13 21:41:19

Pm it to me please. I shall post on Monday after Ive dropped Dazzle at school.

Hes wearing shorts aged 18m. He's 5yr old. They so shouldn't fit him.

NappyHappy Fri 05-Apr-13 21:42:09

I was too just Heartburn and 8m onwards made me suffer.

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Sat 06-Apr-13 13:52:54

I'm such a muppet, been checking my 'threads I'm on' for new posts, thought you'd all been a bit quiet... Then realised I only had thread 2 there, not this lovely shiny new one! D'oh.

R that's so scary re the fire, thank goodness it was caught early. Hope you're sleeping a bit better. Heavily preg + multiple wakings to pee + uncomfortable bump... I did NOT enjoy it! Doesn't stop me wanting to do it again though smile Also not good re the LL liners clogging the drain, I've been using them too but want to switch to bummis, I had them to start with and really liked them. Going to be at Nappy Ever After during real nappy week so will pick some up then. I am a tight bugger and hate paying postage grin

Just ordered me a £5 LL bamboo nappy and wrap - interested to see how they compare to stretchies for bulk / drying time. Wondering whether I should get a size 3 too while the offer is on - dd weighed 30lbs a month or 2 ago and size 2 it says goes up to 35 so might not last til she PTs.hmm.

LeBFG Sat 06-Apr-13 14:01:00

I would recommend trying the size 3s Biscuit. DS is only averagely sized for his age but I gave up on the LL size 2s months ago (he's now 26lbs and 88cm).

Sigh NH - I shall have to buy in some box sets!

binkybonk Sat 06-Apr-13 14:11:07

Hi there nappy fans grin
It seems you all know each other here, I've just popped in to say that I have a serious problem:- put DS1 in cloth before Xmas at almost 2yo to prepare for no2 who I wanted to be all cloth. Simple decision. Nothing too big to think about.
WRONG!! DS2 is nearly 8 weeks and I am bloody addicted to everything cloth. I am spending a flipping fortune (secretively, during middle of the night feeding sessions...) on nappies and all related paraphernalia. I CANNOT stop despite having enough to catch the poo of waaaay more children than I actually have.
I don't know whether to blame tiredness, hormones, shopping highs or what but I need to stand up and say it:
My name is binkybonk and I am an addict.

NappyHappy Sat 06-Apr-13 18:27:14

Hello Binky! I've been free from buying now for about a month now. It was all those fb pages but I finish ML next Monday and can't afford to go back sad so have stopped buying.

Velcome!!!!

PurplePidjin Sat 06-Apr-13 19:12:20

Ds should have weeks left in his size 1s as he's about 12lb now, but more than one booster means builder's bum! I'm up with him 3-4 times a night at the moment between teeth and sleep regression, so am resigned to changing at 2am and the occasional stalk of the fb groups for cheapos! Lollipop and ll seem best on him at the moment...

Welcome binkybonk have you tried a wrap sling yet? <whistles innocently>

NappyHappy Sat 06-Apr-13 19:48:58

Its all a bleary eyed blur. Ds3 is still waking quite a bit too, twice last night and 3 the night before. Ds2 has started Hus gunny business again too.

Weigh day Tuesday,

Alva have bought an XL size out and she put up a pic of them on her 4yr old. They should sell well as I've not seen any in that size before. Great news for Mothers of SN/Disabled kids who have had the funding cut for their nappies/pads.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now