This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

cloth v disposable

(12 Posts)
BabyHMummy Tue 02-Apr-13 15:07:49

hi folks

Been sent here from pg thread so hoping you guys can help me.

I have seen lots of posts about cloth nappies and the varieties available but i have no idea whether to use them or disposables.

All my friends have used disposables. What really are the benefits of cloth over disposables? Everything i have read suggests they are as good as each other on cost and green debate

Snowgirl1 Tue 02-Apr-13 15:14:18

I used cloth nappies until DD was 10 months, when I went back to work full-time and DD went to nursery. I used cloth because I wanted to reduce my impact on the environment - I'm surprised you say that they're equal to each other on the green debate. On the cost front, cloth are much cheaper than disposables if you buy second hand (and it's more environmentally friendly to recycle too smile )

BabyHMummy Tue 02-Apr-13 15:25:19

Most of what i have read suggest that their impact on the environment is fairly similar once you equate both the financial and environmental cost of fuel to wash and dry them

Springsister Tue 02-Apr-13 15:33:59

Spent a fortune on cloth nappies and used them from birth with dc1.
Had a flat and no tumble dryer so spent months (dc born in autumn) in a small space with nappies draped over e very radiator. We found them time consuming and stressful and only lasted 4 months before we switched to disposables.

With dc2 used disposables from birth. Much easier.

Gave the cloth nappies to a friend with a house and a washing line in the garden. She used them with both of hers and loved them. She did however use disposables for first 12 weeks ie when you are changing ten times a day.

If I had another I would try this I think.

Snowgirl1 Tue 02-Apr-13 15:40:52

I line dried our cloth nappies - I imagine much of the environmental benefit would be eliminated by tumble drying. We don't have a tumble drier to avoid the temptation to use it!

If you plan to have more than one child and use them for each child cloth nappies are even more environmentally friendly.

Our local council had tester kits of different types of cloth nappy that they loaned out free of charge, so you can test drive different types of cloth nappy without it costing you anything. If you're thinking about cloth it might be worth seeing if your council do something like that.

BabyHMummy Tue 02-Apr-13 15:41:50

Thanks springsister. I live in a flat too so guessing they won't be the most practical option esp as baby is due in August and we are not known for our warm dry summers.

cloutiedumpling Tue 02-Apr-13 20:39:02

I've used disposables on 2 DCs (although I did use cloth now and again) and am now using cloth nappies on DC3. I felt uncomfortable with the amount of nappies being thrown into landfill.

Microfibre nappies dry really quickly. I got mothercare smart nappies which dried really quickly. They were sheets of fleece like fabric that were almost dry when they came out the spin drier. They don't make them anymore but there must be similar stuff available.

HerrenaHarridan Tue 02-Apr-13 20:56:09

Gah!

I get so frustrated with these comparisons re cost and greenie points.
There are too many variables on both sides so whoever is doing the comparing just skews the figures to what suits them.

My reusables are not suitable for tumble drying, they get washed every two days and hung on one of those underwear hangy doodas. So take up bugger all space.

I absolutely love them, I do not have to worry about carrying big bags or boxes of nappies back from the shop, I do not have that horrendous chemical smell pervading my life.

They definitely have saved me money already and dd is only 14 mo.
I can't say I've noticed an increase in my fuel bills for washing and like I said they are not suitable for tumbler. However I did not have each one custom made a £20 a pop, I bought job lot on eBay for £250 for 19 inc accessories and shipping. All unused though I do have a few preloved ones in case of extraneous circumstances.

They will not still be hanging round poisoning the planet when my grandchildren are dead and gone, which has got to be a bonus ( two tonne of disposable per child per year, how can any amount of washing cost level up to that?)

mumtosp Thu 04-Apr-13 12:58:36

My DS is now 6 mo and gas been in cloth nappies since he was 3 wo. yuse Bumbles from Easypeasy and love them !! We also live in a flat, but I've nevet had any issues with drying them. I wash them every ither day and they take a day and a half to dry in this horrid weather. So I guess it'll be faster in summer ( if we have any this year sad )

I decided to use cloth nappies mainly because they are so much gentler on the skin... DS's skin tends to get dry and rough in disposables on the rare occassions that we use them. The fact that cloth nappies are better for the environment is an added advantage for me smile

Check out the nappy lady website... They have a quesstionair that you can fill up with details like how often would you wash, do you have a tumble dryer, do you like in a flat and based on your response they will.suggest a nappy that will suit you the best. That's how I decided on Bumbles smile

mumtosp Thu 04-Apr-13 13:00:00

*questionnaire

MultipleMama Fri 03-May-13 19:18:46

I use gnappys (gdiapers - more commonly known) which you can either use cloth or disposable inserts. I use cloth at home but if I'm out I take the disposable ones as they're easier to deal with and they're flushable too, which is a great convenience for me.

BuffyFairyTopsTheTree Sun 05-May-13 09:47:59

Definitely check out the Nappy Lady's website as mumtosp suggests. She's very helpful.

www.thenappylady.co.uk/

I've been using cloth for 2 months now and wish I'd started sooner. My DD has very sensitive skin and reacted to most disposable nappy brands. They don't smell as much either.

I think some studies assumed a 60 degree wash every time, then tumble dry and even ironing them!

I'm in a flat too and use pocket nappies with mostly microfibre inserts for daytime. I find the 'shells' dry overnight and the inserts in 12-24 hrs. I have a few more inserts than nappies.

For nighttime I use a 2 part system with bamboo nappies. These take at least 48hrs in my flat so I need 5 with washing every other day. They would dry quicker if I could hang them in my airing cupboard or in front of a sunny window. These last me through the night with an older baby, you'd need more for a newborn. You could use microfibre nappy with bamboo boosters for extra absorption.

Preloved is much cheaper. I've heard the Cloth nappy tree mentioned and Facebook local selling pages.

Fill Your Pants do a £10 nappy trial

www.fill-your-pants.com/

I did this, it was great to see what brands suiting my dd for fit, ease of use etc.

Other sites I like are:

Little lamb - like their Facebook page as they often post discounts there

www.littlelambnappies.com/

Fluff heaven - often have good deals

www.fluffheaven.com/#home

The clean green nappy machine have a 1/2 price tots bots bamboozle stretch mini pack at the moment

www.cleangreennappy.co.uk/kits/day-packs/tb-zs2dp7

And if you did want to splash the cash check out dimplebum

www.dimplebum.co.uk/

Or don't... It's hard to resist grin

HTH - also read the nappy chat threads, the posters on there are lovely and very helpful.

Oh and congratulations!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now