This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Please come and tell me everything there is to know about microfibre reuseables?

(9 Posts)
FoofFighter Sat 23-Mar-13 22:08:38

I really wanted to use cloth nappies with DC3, had pretty much discounted them though due to drying time (no tumble and really limited drying space indoors) but today at a market I saw microfibre nappies, would this be a way forward? Any recommendations? Looking for a birth to potty one.

chezchaos Sat 23-Mar-13 22:12:14

Microfibre nappies are great in that they dry quickly - overnight on an airer in our house. The downside is that they aren't good for children who wet heavily.

I've used them with both of mine, I get a max of 3 hours out of one (and sometimes two hours) compared to 3-4 hours for bamboo nappies.

My favourite are Bumgenius, which I've used from 4 weeks to 3 years, you can get much cheaper ones such as Cheeky Baby on eBay but I've heard mixed reviews.

They won't be any good for nights so if you want to use cloth I'd suggest dedicated night nappies, which will take a couple of days to dry without a dryer.

rrreow Sun 24-Mar-13 14:18:34

I have a heavy wetter and my microfibre nappies last for less than 2 hours unboosted. I always boost them with a bamboo booster (Little Lamb ones) which makes them last about 4 hours.

I have one of these types of airers set up full time for my nappies. The microfibre ones I use (MioSolo) are completely dry after about 12h. The bamboo inserts take only a little bit longer as long as the room is warm.

I don't use a drier either and it's fine. But it is a space issue about having the airer up full time (I use two-part nappies as well that take 48h to dry, and I wash every other day).

HerrenaHarridan Sun 24-Mar-13 15:05:00

I use tots bots all in ones. They aren't miscrofibre but they do dry overnight. I bought them as a job lot on eBay.

They actually specify not to tumble dry

There is a Chinese co on eBay that do micro fibre all in ones for £2.79 including one ( possibly two) boosters. I have five of these and they practically come out of the machine dry. Really not very absorbent though

HerrenaHarridan Sun 24-Mar-13 15:07:35

Oh and re limited drying space, I use one of those hangy things designed for underwear

FoofFighter Tue 26-Mar-13 15:59:02

oops, how rude of me, I totally forgot I had posted this blush [babybrain]

Thank you so much for replies so far!

I did a Nappy Lady thing and they recommend Teddy nappies? I've been looking on ebay for preloved stuff, any other sites I should know about? Also has anyone used muslins as newborn nappies? really keen to start cloth from the get go but limited funds mean I need birth to potty rather than 2-3 size ranges, thinking the muslins would be a good starter?

Also, no idea how many of each I would need, (wraps, boosters, nappy) total cloth virgin here!

FoofFighter Thu 28-Mar-13 19:24:09

Won a little bundle of 8 Little Lamb bamboo nappies and a few wraps (motherease and L ones), for £7.50 inc postage! very exciting!

Am now scouring ebay for more supplies

rrreow Thu 28-Mar-13 21:42:24

Wow that's a great deal. Don't be surprised if bamboo nappies take a LONG time to dry, but the upside is that they are super absorbent.

FoofFighter Fri 29-Mar-13 12:56:24

Was thinking they'd be my night-time ones smile doesn't matter then that they take longer?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now