Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

DS only rolls over in disposables :((

(11 Posts)
mumtosp Tue 19-Mar-13 11:37:29

My 5 mo DS only used to roll over during nappy-free time. These days we have stopped nappy-free time as he had bad eczema on his legs and tends to scratch when left open. Since DS is in reusable nappies throughout the day he has completely stopped rolling and finds it a huge effort.

This morning I switched him into a disposable and he's currently lying on his play mat happily rolling away !

So should I switch to disposables during the day ?? I had previously asked on this forum if reusables hinder rolling and the answer I received from everyone was a no... so I didn't give it much of a thought then.... but now I am almost convinced that it's the bulky reusables that stop him from rolling over...
He uses Bumbles with a Motherease wrap...

I really don't want to switch to disposables as they are bad for his skin but I feel I have no choice sad(

Any advice would be welcome...

Cheers...

Viewofthehills Tue 19-Mar-13 11:53:55

He will just have to work a little bit harder to do it-the bulk of the nappy might make it a bit harder, but not for long. Try putting him on his tummy and see if he can roll onto his back.
Are bumbles chunky nappies? Maybe a slimmer line re-usable will help. Once he's up and standing washables are lovely to land on.

YBR Tue 19-Mar-13 13:12:16

There was a phase where my LO found it noticably harder to roll in washable nappies. Didn't last long though. Don't worry about it.

ReallyTired Tue 19-Mar-13 13:14:58

Its amazing that we adults ever learnt to walk, roll or crawl as babies.

Bare bottom time does wonders for nappy rash and (incontinent!!) babies are even freer to move.

mumtosp Thu 21-Mar-13 16:52:34

Well have decided to stick to the cloth nappies for now and just give DS more time smile

Viewof the hills DS hates tummy time - so we try and do it couple of times a day for a few minutes...

Viewofthehills Thu 21-Mar-13 22:25:42

Will he lie on his front over your knee to start, with your forearm supporting his upper body?
Or with a folded towel under his chest and his arms forward so he's got a bit of space to play with them or reach for something.
Or lie him on your bed at right angles to the edge. With you in front and supporting his arms in front of him so he can lift his head and look at you.

Tummy time is key to developing the strength in his neck and back so that he can sit and learn to crawl. I'd expect him to roll more easily too then.

I'd love to know how you get on.

mumtosp Sun 24-Mar-13 22:05:35

Viewofthehills thanks ! I do put him on my knees daily - so that way he does get some tummy time smile
I will try your suggestion of putting him on his tummy at the edge of the bed...

As I said earlier, he used to roll over before but now all he wants to do is scratch his legs because of the eczema... I am hoping everything is back to normal once his eczema is cured...

Thanks again for the support smile

NaturalBaby Sun 24-Mar-13 22:08:09

all my boys were in big bulky reusables, it might have held them back a little bit at this age but they were crawling and walking and climbing and running fairly early. There was no stopping ds2 once he could crawl!

Viewofthehills Mon 25-Mar-13 09:26:31

Poor itchy baby. Do you feel the eczema is getting sorted? I remember nothing seemed to help my daughter until we tried a kind of petroleum jelly based steroid cream from the GP. I don't know if that might help?

Ariela Mon 25-Mar-13 18:51:00

As he's clearly a 1st baby...many of us are probably wondering WHY you want him to roll over, and go and reach things, pull things off the shelf/table/chair/bed as it'll soon mean you cannot even go for a wee without ensuring he's safely out of reach of things, you'll soon have to move EVRYTHING out of reach and then higher...

My advice is think of the cloth nappies as the backpack for training in the Army - makes them stronger and better able to run when they do so without their load on their back, in the same way once he has overcome the extra bulk of the cloth nappy and roll with ease you can be assured his muscles will be far better toned than without. Far better you encourage his muscle development AND improve his skin IMO (aside from being able to go for a wee by yourself for longer grin!)

mumtosp Wed 27-Mar-13 22:19:35

Ariela your reply made me smile - thanks smile

Viewofthehills Aveeno is really helping his eczema smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now