This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nappy rash cream for newborn?

(14 Posts)
mumtosp Tue 19-Mar-13 11:32:14

Weleda Calendula cream - works like magic .... and it's natural

Kelbells Mon 11-Mar-13 22:27:31

My DS has just had terrible nappy rash thos weekend from a bout of diarrhoea... Nothing we had was working so I tried the diprobase that he uses for his cradle cap/eczema... Worked so well!!!!

BuiltForComfort Mon 11-Mar-13 18:34:33

I think Mustela is very good, not so sticky as others. Metanium gave my baby terrible nappy rash - his skin reacted to something in it - and Mustela calmed his skin down and helped it heal a treat.

Eskarina Mon 11-Mar-13 18:30:29

We used bepanthan from day 1 with dd. found the burts bees stuff sticky and useless tbh. This I from someone who didn't use bubble bath til after 6 months, still only uses reusable wipes and water, mostly uses reusable nappies and Eco disposables. I figured if it was going to keep nappy rash at bay then I could live with a few nasties on dd's bum.
it's all going to be different when the twins arrive next month

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Sat 09-Mar-13 13:38:50

I use sudocrem when DD's bum is red and weleda as a barrier cream at every change. Patting her dry after wiping (with a terry square / old towel or flannel) really helps too.

bonzo77 Thu 07-Mar-13 20:46:08

Metanium is fine. DS had nappy rash as a prem on NiCU and they used metanium. If it doesn't clear see the gp as it might be fungal and need canestan.

Kelbells Thu 07-Mar-13 20:37:31

Check out pure potions lavender salve... Lovely grin

lucywiltshire Thu 07-Mar-13 17:48:04

not sure what is in the BB one, will check. I confess I do use wipes but ones for sensitive skin. I know, rubbish mummy!

idlevice Thu 07-Mar-13 16:55:04

Try the Weleda Calendula cream if you prefer natural ones. The calendula is supposed to be the magic ingredient. We have used it on occasion with DSs but they have not really needed it so I can't comment if it actually works. Does the Burt Bees have it in? & if bf-ing you can dab expressed milk on for the the ultimate natural approach.

You haven't asked about anything else but just in case I'll put down the following two points. Are you using wipes? Switch to cotton wool & plain warm water (or v weak camomile tea) when you can or at the very least make sure the wipes are alcohol-free. Also try nappy-time on old towels etc ideally at least once every time he is awake.

lucywiltshire Thu 07-Mar-13 16:38:43

He poos at least 4 times a day but that's ok for a BF baby I think! I use Sudocrem and Bepanthan on DD and DS1 just think they are a bit too chemically for a newborn! Will use one or the other if his rash doesn't clear up with the Burts Bees very soon

sudocreme is fine, we used it from day one. Johnson do a nappy cream. I use bepanthen if the rash is quite bad as its oily, so when the area is clean and dry I dab on the bepanthen. the oil means the skin is protected from further irritation. I hope his habits settle down soon and that it clears up quickly. x

SCOTCHandWRY Thu 07-Mar-13 15:30:44

Whoops, posted too soon! Fine for a newborn, the stuff is magic. Carefully pat sore area dry with tissue, don't rub, before putting cream on.

Why so many poos? Unwell?

SCOTCHandWRY Thu 07-Mar-13 15:28:09

Sudocrem- absolutely fine for a be

lucywiltshire Thu 07-Mar-13 15:25:27

DS2, aged 13 days, has bad nappy rash, presumably caused by the huge number of poos he does! I bought some Burts Bees nappy cream but it hasn't helped. I am reluctant to use Sudocrem/Bepanthan/the yellow one whose name I have forgotten as they all seem too strong for a newborn. Any suggestions?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now