Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Some questions about preventing nappy rash

(12 Posts)
Meringue33 Fri 01-Mar-13 17:51:40

Feeling like a bad mum as 7 week old LO has some v sore looking areas inside the creases on his legs.

1) If your LO is ebf, how many dirty nappies a day do you have?
2) Where do you spread the Sudacrem - absolutely everywhere within the nappy covered area?
3) Do you remove and reapply the Sudacrem at every change?
4) How do you fit in no nappy time in winter when it is chilly down on the floor (and LO already has a cold?)
5) Any tips for making nappy change less stressful for a LO who screams and hates it? (We've tried feeding on a full tummy and a mobile)
6) If your LO poos during a feed, do you stop and change or wait til finished feeding?
7) if you hear your LO poo in his sleep, do you wake to change?

Any help much appreciated - still feeling v new to this game sad

nextphase Fri 01-Mar-13 19:46:15

Been a while since mine was just on milk, but I seem to remember a dirty nappy most feeds.

I'd put cream on the sore bits every nappy change, but not cover bits which aren't sore. The sudocrem was never left by the next nappy change??

I've never really done nappy free time, however if she has a sore bum, it may be worth persevering. Switch the heating on!

Get quick at it so it doesn't last too long!

Yes, I'd change a nappy as soon as I realised it was dirty, especially if baby had a sore bum - tho if they were asleep, I'd try to do the change with minimal lights on so baby goes back to sleep quickly

If Sudocrem isn't cutting it, it might be worth trying bepanthan (my preferred cream), or metanium, which is often mentioned in threads re nappy rash.

Meringue33 Fri 01-Mar-13 20:32:16

Thanks Nextphase smile

Meringue33 Fri 01-Mar-13 20:32:51

Changing in low lighting - also a challenge!!

nextphase Fri 01-Mar-13 20:44:13

You'll get there!
Any way you can suspend something over the changing mat to entertain DS while you change nappies?
I can get away with singing and changing nappies. Can you do them on auto yet (on DS2 here!)

Kelbells Fri 01-Mar-13 21:02:41

For the nappy free time, I spread a huge towel on the bathroom floor and leave DS rolling around in the nude while I'm showering - it's nice and toasty then!

needsadviceplease Fri 01-Mar-13 21:11:48

Coconut oil is v v good too.

Yes, I'd wake to change if pooey.

HerrenaHarridan Fri 01-Mar-13 23:08:36

Loads of potions you can try bottom butter and Vaseline are my favourite.

I hate nappy off time! My dd (born jan) used to make lots of little puddles!

I used a waterproof picnic blanket. (you could also use a tarp / dust sheet / vinyl tablecloth etc ) with a towel on top, on my bed. If it was a bit chilly then I would stick a little electric heater on.

Then bath smile

I remember what an utter failure I felt when dds bum was red raw.
Don't worry her bum is just learning it needs to be a bit tougher than your womb required. smile

Wishfulmakeupping Fri 01-Mar-13 23:15:26

We use Metanium - sudacream didn't work for us. I change before each feed or as she needs it- not had any rashes since we stopped using sudacream

HerrenaHarridan Fri 01-Mar-13 23:15:49

Oh and if you always wake to change they learn to sleep through it.

Wrt making nappy changes less traumatic for all,
Is she lying straight on cold mat? Add blanket
Is she naked cold/ vulnerable? A piece or cloth, muslin, fleece?

Wipes can be stingy
Singing can help you stay calm
Interspersing the business with kisses, peekaboo etc.

I'm sure you've probably tried at least some of them but that was what sometimes worked for me

Congratulations and good luck smile

Meringue33 Sun 03-Mar-13 03:23:26

Thanks all - really appreciate it
So no nappy time should come before bath? We did it today after bath, but LO was crying after not long, think he was probably getting hungry.
Laid plastic sheets in the nursery next to radiator where it was warm which worked quite well. Unfortunately our bathroom is tiny so no space there.
Would be ace if he learned to sleep thro changes! Never managed it before. We do have a musical mobile and blanket.
Thank you all smile

MooseBeTimeForCoffee Sun 03-Mar-13 03:26:16

I remember that at the same age my son would scream like you'd filled his nappies full of razor blades. It will get better!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now