Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

2 daft questions about re-useable nappies

(14 Posts)
Wiggy29 Wed 27-Feb-13 20:36:27

Firstly, how often do you change a newborn (roughly), noticed a bit of nappy rash yet used cloth nappies with ds and he only had it once. That was years ago though and I'm wondering if I'm leaving it too long? hmm

Secondly, I'm using Little lamb nappies. I got them in a batch from an NCT sale and they came with the wraps, the nappies and really soft liners. I've been using them with the throw away liners but it just dawned on me tonight that I probably don't need to use the cloth liners too at this stage as they should be saved for heavy wetting? Is that right? hmm

Thanks in advance for any advice, as I said, I've used them before but it was years ago and with my sleepy new parent read I can't even remember the basics!blush

nappyqueen Wed 27-Feb-13 20:50:10

If the cloth liners are fleece then they are a great way if keeping baby dry, it lets wetness through but stays relatively dry against baby's skin. Throw away liners handy for solid poop though New baby poo also flushes off the fleece nicely too, or even rinse under tap esp if breast fed. If sore it may be due to new skin adjusting to nappies. Make sure you use very little non bio to wash and a cap of white vinegar for fabric softener, softens without affecting absorbency. A gentle barrier cream like zinc and castor oil may help also may just be a diff childs skin being diff!! I recommend changing every 4 hours at most though longer at night if baby sleeps just boost nappy if ness though unlikely with a new born. Any questions just ask I'm a former washable nappy user and nappy officer!!

Wiggy29 Thu 28-Feb-13 21:24:05

Thank you nappy queen. I've put the fleece liners back in the batch that just came out of the wash. Great tip about the white vinegar- do you put that in the drawer or the drum of the washing machine? Midwife advised using cotton wool and water rather than wipes and zinc and caster oil or a natural cream (we were given some Neal's Yard Baby Balm so I'm going to try that).

Thanks for taking the time to answer... I may yet be back with more questions! grin

gemma4d Thu 28-Feb-13 21:30:21

Scrap cotton wool - hideous stuff! (OK, I have cotton wool issues grin ) Get some washable wipes - or make them. You just need fabric (towel, fleece, anything really!) in little squares and use them with water - some keep them wet in a tub, I have a little spray bottle. Wash with the nappies.

gemma4d Thu 28-Feb-13 21:32:48

Oh, also
1) everything nappyqueen said
2) major cause of nappy rash is poop, so more important to clean as soon as poos that to try and keep nappy dry - unless this advice has changed?
3) I put vinegar in the fabric conditioner part of the draw.

If bad nappy rash, I love Metanium. Yellow tube, full of horrible yellow gunk that gets everywhere, but it works. I wouldn't use it every day though!

HerrenaHarridan Fri 01-Mar-13 09:31:59

Baby wipes always gave mine nappy rash.

Some babies need changed more often.
Different bum creams work better for different bums, I found Vaseline best once it had started and I put bum butter on with the night nappy
I tried bepanthen and hated it.
Sudocreme is the business, zinc paste is a cheaper version from chemist.

Yy to reusable wipes. It's easier than you think because you just bung them in nappy in bucket. Cheeky wipes do a super duper kit but I just made mine from an old fleece blanket and spray bottle (super drug)

Wiggy29 Fri 01-Mar-13 14:58:32

Loving the wipes idea, think I might cut up some cheap Ikea flannels.

Stopped using wipes and already the nappy rash has gone- makes me worry about what sort of horrors they are putting in them. What do you guys use when you are out and about for wipes?

Also, what do you guys think of this for out and about:

www.mothercare.com/Bambino-Mio-wet-nappy-bag---Soft-Yellow/412039,default,pd.html

We were just going to use disposables for days out, but I've totally fallen in love with reuseables agian so would rather just use them. If the above is no good, could anyone recommend a good bag for dirty nappies when out and about? Ideally big enough to hold 3/ 4?

Thanks again for advice. grin

PS- forgot how adorable a line full of nappies looks!

Wiggy29 Sat 02-Mar-13 19:21:08

Anybody? grin

Tallgiraffe Sat 02-Mar-13 20:00:15

Try water wipes - they're fantastic and no chemicals

Kelbells Sat 02-Mar-13 21:55:17

I use the washable wipes when I'm out and about... I've got a small wetbag that I put them into, I just wet them and wring them out so they're damp enough to whip out in an emergency without faffing... I heard that wet wipes are used for all sorts of things even cleaning the oven! There's no way I want that on DS delicate skin!

Have a look at 'my little patch'. She's a wahm who does the most lovely wetbags, I use one of her medium double bags, I stick a couple of clean nappies, change of clothes, muslin, breast pads, bag of wipes in one section and all the dirty stuff in the other, she does small bags for wipes too.... Hth smile

Wiggy29 Sun 03-Mar-13 08:12:33

Tallgiraffe- loving the look of those wipes for out and about. Do you know if you can by them anywhere in the UK but not online (i.e. Boots/ Superdrug)?

Kelbells- Loving the design of the little patch bags. DS has been given money but was just going to pop it in savings for him as been given loads second hand by kind friends/ family- will be nice to get him a little something that is new!

Wiggy29 Sun 03-Mar-13 08:12:49

PS- thank you for tips grin

deemented Sun 03-Mar-13 08:16:10

Are you on FB at all? If so, have a look for a group called Cloth Bum Mums - theres nearly 4000 cloth users on there, and it's a great source of advice and support smile

Tallgiraffe Sun 03-Mar-13 12:42:56

They are great! I'm afraid I get mine from amazon in bulk so not sure about shops. You could contact the manufacturer though, they'd be able to tell you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now