This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Whiffy nappies - what to do?

(5 Posts)
rrreow Tue 26-Feb-13 12:53:01

You probably need to strip wash your nappies (a whole year is a long time! I need to strip wash every 4 months or so).

My method of strip washing is: clean nappies with 2 dishwasher tablets in the drum (not the drawer!), 60 degree wash, 2 extra rinses afterwards.

The above is the only way of strip washing I can do as most of my nappies are AIOs with PUL liners. You're not supposed to use vinegar or bicarb on PUL. And I also have some Bamboozles whose warranty would be void if you use those products on them.

If you have a top loading washing machine (does anyone in the UK??) you can do the strip washing with washing up liquid, but you can't do that with front loading machines (it will foam excessively and flood the kitchen..).

KatherineKrupnik Mon 25-Feb-13 21:04:54

think you are supposed to strip wash them at this point. There are lots of different methods. I follow the Nappy Lady one, which someone recommended on here.

cloutiedumpling Mon 25-Feb-13 21:00:11

I use a lot of white vinegar in the wash and the nappies don't smell of wee. The acid in the vinegar counteracts the ammonia in the wee. They still smell a bit whiffy sometimes though so I'll watch this thread with interest.

Wiggy29 Mon 25-Feb-13 15:25:55

I've not used them in ages but could you try essential oils in bucket? That's what I'm planning to experiment with. smile

AlbertaCampion Mon 25-Feb-13 15:24:48

All advice and product recommendations appreciated: after using cloth nappies for a year (fleece & washable liners), they are beginning to, well... smell of wee a bit when they are hung up to dry.

I wash them with regular detergent and white vinegar, and dry them on the radiators. I'm sure that once the weather has improved and we can hang them on the line outside, it won't be a problem. But in the meantime, should I keep them away from the rads - or is there a wonder product that will have them smelling daisy-fresh again?

Thanks in advance. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now