Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Cloth nappy stains- wash again with clothes/ higher temp/ back in bucket?

(15 Posts)
Wiggy29 Mon 25-Feb-13 15:24:44

Just started using cloth nappies again after a LONG gap (8 years). I got some fab Little Lamb nappies from an NCT sale for a crazy bargain.

I use throw away liners but some of the newborn poop escaped onto towelling part. I just popped the nappies in the bucket and then in the wash at 30 degrees. I've noticed about 3 out of 12 still have pale stains, so what should I do:

*Put them back in a 40 degree wash (seems a waste to put wash in for only 3 nappies)?
*Always use a 40 degree wash for nappies (says 30 on website but obviously 30 doesn't get rid of stains)?
*Just stick them back in the bucket and put them through a second time at 30 degrees with the next batch of nappies?
*Put them in with clothes? I'm dubious about this as it stated on website that 30 doesn't kill germs so shouldn't be with clothes as, for example, baby may suck sleeves etc. I'm guessing a second 30 degree wash still wouldn't kill the germs?

I know from looking at threads that lots of people advise line drying to sun bleach stains but it's snowing here at the mo!

Advice would be great, thanks. grin grin grin

mistlethrush Mon 25-Feb-13 15:26:02

Sunlight really does do the trick, so get them out as soon as you can and don't worry until then. They are clean after all.

Kelbells Mon 25-Feb-13 17:17:03

I agree with Mistle, wait for a sunny day, I hung mine out last week on a rare sunny occasion and they're all clean again! I often put them one at a time on a sunny window ledge and it cleans them up too... don't worry too much though until then, they're all clean grin

rrreow Tue 26-Feb-13 12:45:27

If you don't already, make sure you use powder detergent. It is more effective on stains (and nappies in general) than liquid.

I read somewhere that just hanging them outside in daylight has some effect as well (doesn't have to be direct sunlight). Haven't tried this out myself, but worth a try!

snala Tue 26-Feb-13 23:45:52

I thought it was recommended to wash newborn nappies at 60 degrees?

Kelbells Wed 27-Feb-13 08:52:53

Yes Snala I've read that nappies should be washed at 60 degrees until 3 months of age and then 40 degrees at least (although my tots bots potion says its suitable for washes at 30) - now my DS is nearly 5 months I tend the wash alternately at 40 and 60 to save a bit of energy and keep my nappies as scrupulously clean too!

CelticPromise Wed 27-Feb-13 09:01:37

Just use them with the stains on. Who cares? None of my terries are snowy white any more, but the poo stains come out eventually. Life's too short to worry about stained nappies.

InvaderZim Wed 27-Feb-13 09:07:50

Yeah, once you can hang them outside the infant poo stains disappear like magic! I don't have any poo staining issues with my toddler, just that orange baby poo.

I wash my LL on 40 degrees.

Wiggy29 Wed 27-Feb-13 20:29:15

Thank you folks grin, I washed again at 40 out of curiosity and nearly all stains came out so just going to wash at 60 until 3 months then 40 (by which time I should hopefully be able to line dry (shakes fist at unpredictable British weather).

AnnaBBad Sat 02-Mar-13 09:33:36

I wash nappies with other clothes, it's all being washed so surely it doesn't matter. I also add some vanish powder, and wash at 60 or 40 depending on what's with them. Don't worry too much about stains, they're always hidden anyway. So nice to see so many people using reuseable nappies!

Wiggy29 Sat 02-Mar-13 19:20:06

I'm loving them! I had to use a disposable today& found the sticky things a real pain. Ds looked really skinny& didn't like it when I was gently patting his bum as felt like there was no padding.

Kelbells Sat 02-Mar-13 22:14:51

gringrinI know what you mean! Had to use an emergency disposable and it felt like DS had shrunk! That squishy bum is awesome!

Wiggy29 Sun 03-Mar-13 08:14:33

It is very cute- just reminded me that I need to start using vests for 0-3 instead of newborn as newborn are a little tight with all the extra padding grin

CelticPromise Sun 03-Mar-13 08:47:12

Wiggy you can buy vest extenders from terrynappies.co.uk. They're just little bits of material with poppers on that give you extra space in the bottom of a vest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now