This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Essential oils in used nappy bucket?

(11 Posts)
IrnBruTheNoo Mon 25-Mar-13 09:13:06

I use the oil inside the nappy pail, it works a treat. You only need 1-2 drops of it and it smells heavenly. Better than breathing in ammonia!

IrnBruTheNoo Mon 25-Mar-13 09:12:00

I've just recently went back to using washables with DS who is 2.8yo and I've bought tea tree essential oil out of Superdrug the other day, think it was £2.99?

Wiggy29 Wed 27-Feb-13 20:30:02

Been using lavender and it's worked a treat- thanks grin

Thewhingingdefective Mon 25-Feb-13 20:30:16

I used to wipe the bucket with lavender, tea tree or grapefruit oil and sprinkle a few drops on a leftover breast pad stuck inside the lid.

stargirl1701 Mon 25-Feb-13 20:21:00

I put a few drops of tea tree oil in the nappy pail and lavender oil in my reuseable wipes.

Kelbells Mon 25-Feb-13 18:53:32

I hang a muslin over the edge of the bucket with a few drops of lavender or tea tree on grin

MewlingQuim Mon 25-Feb-13 15:22:53

I put it in the bucket and on the inside of the lid so I get a whiff of a nice smell when I open the bucket. The nappies get rinsed and washed before they come into contact with DD so no sensitivity problems. I alternate tea tree and lavender.

Wiggy29 Mon 25-Feb-13 15:15:52

Ohhh, great tips! Do you think that means I can use any essential oil or just lavender/ tree tree?

As it happens, I have both of those in the house so going to go and add a drop of lavender. grin

christinarossetti Mon 25-Feb-13 12:54:22

Back in the pre-Mooncup day when I was cloth-nappying, I used to put a few drops of lavender oil on a sanitary towel then stick it on the lid for general whiff reducing properties. Then put tea tree oil in the bucket before I sloshed it with water when cleaning.

WantAnOrange Mon 25-Feb-13 12:49:16

I use a drop of tee tree oil in my bucket to kill the bad smell. Apparently it has anti-bacterial qualities too which is good as I otherwise dry pail them.

Wiggy29 Mon 25-Feb-13 12:37:29

Online nappy sites seem to always sell essential oils yet can't find a reference stating what for, I assume to put a couple of drops in the storage bucket for the smell?

I use Little Lamb nappies so just put in a dry bucket with a lid, love the idea of adding a bit of tea tree/ tangerine/ lavender etc oil but don't want to affect absorbency or irritate the little one's skin. Ideas? hmm

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now