Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

I need a Dummies Guide to cloth nappies

(12 Posts)
Bejeena Thu 21-Feb-13 11:30:33

Hi everyone,

Is there anyone else like me who finds the whole business totally overwhelming? I read review on review all about different kinds and types what you should do, what you need but I am still totally clueless!

Prefolds, pocket nappies, wraps, little lamb I honestly don't know the difference!

Can anyone by any chance point me in the direction of an idiots proof guide for beginners telling you about the different kinds and what to get first? I know it is probably best to try some different kinds first off and then get the bulk of them from there when I know what suits baby.

I am only 15 weeks pg but know we want to use cloth and am just trying to do a bit of research while I have time. But I feel totally confused all the time and don't know what to try for the best.

Thanks in advance

JBrd Thu 21-Feb-13 11:40:40

Have you got any friends that use cloth and that could lend you some to play around with? A lot of nappy websites also offer try-out schemes, where you get a selection of different nappies for a few weeks to see what you get on with.

I agree that there is a mind-blowing variety of cloth nappies out there, it's intimidating!
Or you could do what we did - on many friends recommendations for Motherease nappies, I bought a set of second-hand ones on Gumtree and eBay! Cloth nappies have excellent re-sale value, so if you find out you don't get on with a particular kind of nappy, it's very easy to sell again.
We stuck with the Motherease for almost a year, until I started trying other types, and I still use them a lot.

Don't be intimidated, just go for it! Hth

carameldecaflatte Thu 21-Feb-13 11:44:01

http://www.goreal.org.uk/

I started with 2nd hand from eBay, mostly pocket nappies (you stuff an absorbent insert inside the shell). And we now use bum genius flip and gnappies because they are a bit less bulky. We still use disposables at night.

If I was starting again I would buy a few different types to try and see which system works best for us.

Oh, and you could buy during real nappy week. Great discounts.

Bejeena Thu 21-Feb-13 11:47:55

Thanks for the tips and that goreal website seems to be just what I am after! I don't think I have any friends using cloth at the moment but could ask around.

Sadly I am not in the UK and here in Germany I just don't think they have these same council schemes and try out systems (honestly the Germans are not as green as they'd like to think they are!)

Also what are inserts and diaper doublers?

Bejeena Thu 21-Feb-13 11:50:37

Oh looking again the Real nappy site Real nappies are just one brand aren't they? Sorry again for all these daft questions!

carameldecaflatte Thu 21-Feb-13 12:13:23

Real nappies is just a collective term, cloth nappies, reusable, etc. there are lots of brands. Have a look on mn for lots of great reviews.

I would imagine there are real nappy companies in Germany too. Surely! smile

carameldecaflatte Thu 21-Feb-13 13:26:44

Oh and inserts are these: http://www.fill-your-pants.com/inserts-and-boosters.html and doublers are probably the same thing!

Bejeena Thu 21-Feb-13 14:11:26

Thank you ever so much. I am starting to get it together I hope. Think I should try and find some youtube videos for more advice so I can visualise it.

Bejeena Thu 21-Feb-13 14:21:18

I also found this other local site for real nappies with a good overview, just in case anyone else stumbles accross my daft questions in the future

www.hrnp.org.uk/cms/all-about-real-nappies/types-of-nappy.html

stargirl1701 Thu 21-Feb-13 20:23:59

Fill in The Nappy Lady's online quiz and she'll email you with ideas. Talk to your local council. I hired a trial kit from mine (£10 for 3 weeks) and I knew what worked for me after that.

Ariela Fri 22-Feb-13 00:19:38
binkybonk Sun 03-Mar-13 23:01:58

Tots bots have videos of how to use their different types of nappies and that really helped me get my head round it, distinguish between different 'systems' and choose which I'd like to try. I'm not in the uk either and cloth nappies hugely unpopular here, but t'internet has been a great help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now