Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Bumgenius v3 & 4 and leaky legs

(3 Posts)
notprincesskate Mon 18-Feb-13 21:35:34

Looking for some advice, so that I don't waste my time, I have a mixture of v3 and v4's brought new that I have been using on DD for past 2 years.
They have started to leak round the legs sometimes after just about half hr, I've never had a problem before so I have started to replace the elastic in the legs as elastic is pretty much gone, however I used one today and after about of an hour half maybe 2, it started to leak, nothing like before but enough. Inserts were fully soaked and DD does seem to be a heavy wetter.
Baby no 2 is due in the summer, and I was hoping to use them again, I'm happy to continue to change elastic and I'm also planning on replacing the Velcro with poppers as pretty much all Velcro is coming loose, if doing this will fix my leaks, as I've never had a problem with them before I thought it must be the elastic, I have also tried stripping them.
My other thought is that they just need boosting for the heavy wetting?

Any advice? could it just be a combination of stretched elastic and heavy wetting? If so can anyone suggest a booster that I could use that would fit- I use both the large and small insert currently.

Sorry it sounds really rambling, but I don't want to waste my time if I would be better cutting my losses and buying some new (although I will be a bit miffed that they only lasted one dc)

Thanks

rrreow Tue 19-Feb-13 14:47:52

We experienced leaks with our AIOs (different brand) at some point or another. Stripping helped. Boosting more (bamboo) helped as well.

I think what happened with us was also that maybe DS was 'outputting' more wee than the fabric could handle in a short space of time (kind of like when you pour water onto a towel, it can kind of lie on top for a few seconds if the fabric gets too overwhelmed before it is absorbed).

Another reason could be that your DCs shape is changing as they're growing. We have fewer leaks now (22mo) than we did about 5 months ago.

I don't have any experience with Bumgenius themselves though so not sure if it's to do with the nappies themselves just not lasting more than 1 child. That's the thing with reusables isn't it, it's not an exact science, there are always so many different reasons why something isn't working!!

MooseBeTimeForCoffee Tue 19-Feb-13 14:55:33

I use BGs and Charlie Bananas. My 14 month old DS is a big wetter during the day. He can never go more than 1.5 to 2 hours without needing a change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now