This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Lanolising wool covers, could anyone advise me please?

(6 Posts)
thestylethatdecadesforgot Thu 14-Feb-13 20:55:16

Hi all, I've recently swapped to shaped nappies and wool covers for dd2, having used prefolds and pu wraps for dd1 and never being quite happy with them.

Anyway, I bought a wool cover pre-lanolised from the Nappy Lady, who was great and very helpful and my lovely mum and grandma have knitted me two more plus a pair of longies with wool and patterns I have supplied (they think its all hilarious). BUT, although they seem to be working fine, they don't have the almost waxy feel of the one from the nappy lady (which actually has faded now) and I can't help but wonder if I'm doing the lanolising wrongly.

I have some liquid lanolin and I've been squirting plenty into lukewarm water, gently squeezing it through the covers,saving them to sit in it overnight, gently squeezing the water out, rolling the cover in a towel and ten hanging to dry on the airer. Does this sound ok?

Also, I've run out of lanolin now, a secondhand cover I bought came with two half empty bottles, which is what I've been using. So I have to buy more and I'd appreciate some recommendations. I know you can use lansinoh so I Hooghly I might cheekily ask friend who I gave mine to for a squirt!

thestylethatdecadesforgot Thu 14-Feb-13 20:56:52

I Hooghly??? Sorry, iPhone auto correcting. I 'thought' that should say.

thestylethatdecadesforgot Fri 15-Feb-13 10:07:19

Bump

Ariela Fri 22-Feb-13 00:45:32

If the wraps leak then it's a problem, if not then I think you're doing fine. The waxy feel could have been over-treated, too much lanolin..

thestylethatdecadesforgot Sat 23-Feb-13 19:54:23

Thanks Ariela, I think you're right. I have bought some more liquid sntuff and am following the instructions on the bottle which are the same as I've been doing. So I feel better now. Also ordered some solid lanolin as I think that'll last longer.

Tchaikovsky Sat 12-Oct-13 10:49:06

I just want to add to this that liquid lanolin ins not the best for lanolising nappy covers. It's had all the solid fats removed, to make it liquid, and that's where most of the waterproofing is. You'd be better to use soluble solid lanolin, or even ordinary solid lanolin and emulsify it yourself.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now