This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Is it worth buying reusable now??

(29 Posts)
newtonupontheheath Tue 12-Feb-13 08:37:16

I love the idea of reusesbles and hate the waste.

Dd is 4 months old and in size 4. When I return to work in July, she will be in nursery 2 days a week, where I'm assuming she will need disposables (?) then with my mum 2 days. I'm going to look around some of the other threads on here to learn a bit more but was wondering a) whether it is worth switching to reusable a at this point?
And b) how many/what size etc I would need. Have only spotted birth-potty packs so far in my (limited) look around.

Thank you grin off for a read and may be back with some questions!

newtonupontheheath Tue 12-Feb-13 08:37:39

* hate the waste of disposables, obv

MirandaWest Tue 12-Feb-13 08:39:20

I started using reusables with DD when she was 6 months and kept using them when she went to nursery - they were fine about it. I used Tots Bots and other similar ones in size 2 but this was 7 years ago so things may well have changed smile

BinarySolo Tue 12-Feb-13 08:43:04

I bought reusables for my ds (terry squares and covers) we never used them as he was premature so they were too big when he was born then when he was big enough he hated them because he'd got used to the slimness of disposable nappies.

I think some of the nappy systems are less bulky, but will still be much bigger than a disposable. You may need to buy new clothes to accommodate them too.

Eco friendly nappies were a good compromise for me in the end.

MirandaWest Tue 12-Feb-13 08:44:57

I think I found it easier possibly having a DD in resubables as it was easy to have tights and dresses or just dresses and pretty wraps round the nappies smile She potty trained early and then I was able to sell the nappies on which meant overall they didn't cost much at all.

rhihaf Tue 12-Feb-13 10:43:51

If you go for reusables you can keep track of how frequently your nursery changes bums... although I'm sure your nursery is very proficient and professional blush
It's just I've heard so many horror stories of nappy rash where they clearly weren't changing nappies often enough, filling out fake 'nappy change' logs or whatever they're called, so this would be a good way to keep track...

Little Lambs are a fab 2-part system (an absorbent cloth bit, and a waterproof outer bit), there are 3 sizes, you'd probably need size 2 (20-40lbs) or size 3 (35lbs upwards). If you like their page on FBk you get access to fab offers too. wink
They do bamboo, cotton or microfibre ones (diff absorbencies/drying times). You only need one waterproof wrap a day (unless you have poo explosions! grin) and the nappies are shaped, with velcro so just like disposables. I didn't get on with AIOs (all in ones) sad

Have a gander: http://www.littlelambnappies.com/nappies
Good luck with it!

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Tue 12-Feb-13 12:44:19

Hi Newton I didn't start using cloth nappies til DD was 11mo so it's never too late! There are lots of different types out there these days, I'd recommend the 'Try Cloth for £10' from Fill Your Pants (sorry, can't link from phone) you get acselection of different nappies to try for 3 weeks which is great to get a feel for how they work. Also The Nappy Lady has loads of info on her site including short YouTube clips explaining each nappy, and a questionnaire you can fill in to get advice on what will work best for you.

I mainly use bumbles by easy Peasy nappies, they're a fitted nappy similar to little lamb but come in just one size (birth to potty) which I've been using on DD now for 9 months no problems. You need a waterproof wrap over the top - motherease airflow and blueberry coveralls are both great.

Your nursery may find it easier to use an all-in-one nappy ie with a built in waterproof cover (so it goes on all in one piece like a disposable) - Eg TotsBots Easyfits or MioSolos. I find these ones aren't as absorbent so they need an extra booster pad which you tuck in before putting the nappy on. You'll also need a wet bag to take to nursery for the dirty nappies - you can get double pocket bags which have a section for clean nappies and a separate one for dirty ones. You probably want to check with nursery that they are ok to use them, but really with all in ones (AIOs) it really is as easy as using a disposable.

I would also recommend washable wipes - they are fantastic and save lots of waste & money compared to using disposable wipes or cotton wool.

Hope that's helpful!

newtonupontheheath Tue 12-Feb-13 13:55:02

Thanks this is all mega helpful!

Have got a super clingy ds today so will have a look at everything this evening.

AmandaPayne Tue 12-Feb-13 16:41:39

If you are planning for nursery, it would be worth trying out some single part nappies, like Bumgenius (which we happen to use). Pocket nappies, particularly if they have velcro fastenings, are just like a disposable to use. It is the washing and assembling that are different, which obviously you would do. I've not heard of many nurseries that wouldn't happily use those types - and quite frankly if they did I would question their attitude generally to children's differing requirements.

Www.thenappylady.co.uk

Yes she sells nappies but her advice is fab, look here first.

rrreow Tue 12-Feb-13 17:51:54

I started when DS was 11mo so I second what other people said that it's never too late.

I've found two part systems (shaped nappy with a separate waterproof wrap) to be the most reliable and it's also cost effective. However, I also have All-in-Ones (AIOs) to give to nursery as they go on as easily and quickly as a disposable.

There are lots of options (brands) available and different nappies are suitable for different babies. Don't be afraid to try stuff out (there are some pre-loved nappy groups on Facebook) and sell it on if they don't work for you. Don't invest in a huge set of nappies until you've tried that particular kind at least 5-6 times.

Also once you're using them, if you have any problems or questions or want any advice, ask on here! I wish I had known about the lovely cloth mummies on here when I tried reusables on DS1 when he was about 2 months old. I didn't get on at all and gave up (until he was 11mo) thinking the nappies were at fault, but with some advice and support I think I would've figured it out.

newtonupontheheath Tue 12-Feb-13 18:28:53

I am reading all this and going to have a proper look around later smile

(And then return with a million questions!)

newtonupontheheath Wed 13-Feb-13 08:06:52

I had a look online last night, have requested some advice from the nappy lady which I am waiting to hear back on.

I am tempted by the look of the the little lambs so far, they look so soft!

DH thinks I'm mad by the way... But I'm choosing to ignore him as any "extra work" (his words) would fall to me anyway...

rhihaf Wed 13-Feb-13 09:00:19

I agree with rrreow and AmandaPayne - the AIOs are handy for being out and about or nursery or whatever, but I found they don't hold everything in as well and they are pretty bulky, esp to carry around when dirty (if ur away from home).

Whichever you choose, I'd recommend velcro fastening rather than poppers - but that's just my cack-handedness! blush

Little Lambs had an offer on via Fbk recently and I stocked up on tea tree oil (few drops in the nappy bucket stops any niffs), paper liners (if I know a big one's on its way! shock), extra fleecy liners and a few extra wraps. They say not to use fabric softener (as it lessens water absorption apparently) but I use comfort pure and it keeps the nappies very soft and fluffy without any wee-containment issues! grin

Lots of councils also do a trial thingy, whereby you can get a trial pack of 2 or 3 different types of reusable for free, to try out. Defo worth ringing them/health visitor/doc up to ask wink

Keep us posted!

newtonupontheheath Wed 13-Feb-13 21:23:44

I'm on my phone so can't name check... But thank you all. thanks

Re nursery: I haven't mentioned to them, was just guessing. Now I've had a look, I can see that the all in ones would be easy enough for them. My ds goes there already and yes, has had nappy rash from not being changed quickly enough but he's my pfb and I have always changes him immediately, which I know nursery can't do. They do have a big black hole which packs of nappies disappear into though so reusables may help on that front wink

The nappy lady has recommended bamboozle stretchies.... Anybody any experience? I can't afford the initial outlay for what she has recommended (£160 iirc) but will get a trial pack and add to it next month.

A friend is giving/lending me some Bambino mio, which don't seem to get great reviews so am tentative in taking up her offer. I suppose a combination of these and the stretchies will give me a good idea of how things will go.

Errr (I'm on my phone so need to check what else I was going to respond to!)

newtonupontheheath Wed 13-Feb-13 21:26:17

Oh, that was it! Washable wipes.... I've already made my own... They're not as fancy as the pre-done ones but I might pimp them up a bit now I've looked into it grin

I've checked and my council don't do this nappy trial thingy.... Might see if there is someone I can email about it though smile

Hoping to pick the bambino mio ones up over the weekend so will report back (probably with more questions)

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 14-Feb-13 13:51:38

I've got a couple of bamboozle stretchies, only had them a few weeks. Using as night nappies, they are (so far) lovely and soft and very absorbent. Need a fleece liner inside, and a waterproof wrap over. I'd suggest getting some preloved maybe? Have a look on facebook groups - search for CBM Sales or Preloved cloth nappies, you have to join the group to see the posts.

Are the bambino mio prefolds? I've never tried those so no advice. There always seem to be lots for sale 2nd hand, not sure if that's a good sign?! I think there are various ways of folding them, have a look on the nappy lady website for instructions.

rrreow Thu 14-Feb-13 15:21:36

If you're going the prefold route (Bambino Mio two part system), get some nappy nippas. Apparently just putting a prefold in a wrap will lead to poosplosions especially pre-weaning. The nappy lady has some good advice: http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/bambino_mio.asp?item=Prefold%20Nappies

I've not used them myself so can't comment, but I am using the Bambino Miosolo (their all in one). They're OK, but I don't love them. Occasional leaks around the legs and they need boosting to last 4 hours (can't be bothered with nappies that don't last at least 4 hours..). They are good for tall babies/toddlers though and nursery get on with them well, so that's good.

I love bamboozle stretchies. They recommend prewashing 10 times for full absorbency but even at about 4 or 5 washes they are already lasting over 4 hours. For overnight use I'd boost extra but for daytime use they're perfectly fine with just the snap in booster that comes with it. The only thing is they are expensive. Even second hand they're quite pricey, but that's a good thing because it means that their resale value will be quite good!

BiscuitCrumbsInBed we so totally have a similar nappy life grin

Snowgirl1 Thu 14-Feb-13 15:40:29

You can buy reusables on eBay second-hand - which makes them even better value.

newtonupontheheath Thu 14-Feb-13 20:52:47

You are all so kind with your words of wisdom smile I have joined the fb group and am looking at making a few purchases. Pay day tomorrow so will be buying a few of the bamboozle stretchies, fleecey liners, mesh bag... I even know what the words mean now wink

I've spoken to my friend and they are the prefold, but I'll take them anyway and they may be of some use... I read up on the nappy lady website and they don't seem to be that great! I guess the thought was there though...

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 14-Feb-13 22:34:48

It's true Rreeow we are nappy twins! I boost the stretches with a folded hemp booster from Easy Peasy Nappies for night time. Without it they'd be lovely and slim for under clothes.

Newton some people use prefolds to stuff pocket nappies (eg the cheap Alva nappies you can get on eBay or from Pixie Pants (on Facebook) - pop over to the general nappy chat thread and ask PurplePidjin, she's been using prefolds and pockets with her DS and I think is pretty pleased.

rrreow Fri 15-Feb-13 11:06:58

Wow those Alvas from Pixie Pants have gorgeous prints! Do you know if they are the 3.0 ones? I'm currently waiting for 2 Alvas from China to try out. I really hope they work for DS because I love the price and the prints.

newtonupontheheath Fri 15-Feb-13 11:22:15

Pleased to say I have picked up some stretchies and some little lambs on fb.... Can't wait for them to arrive! Haven't spent too much and will be buying a few new bits tonight once the children are in bed smile

rhihaf Fri 15-Feb-13 16:43:48

Ooooh, exciting!
Always good to get preloved and try out a few different ones.

Anyone else tried those Alva nappies then? Any good? They are cute! Are they pocket ones that you have to stuff?

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Fri 15-Feb-13 22:22:26

Ooohh exciting newton! FYI, I have recently found that Fill Your Pants sell preloved stuff from their nappy trial scheme - including cute blueberry coveralls for I think £9ish which isn't bad, and you know they've hardly been used.

I have 2 Alvas from pixie pants, won't be getting more because I have the same leaking round the legs problem i've had with MioSolos, unless I stuff them so much she can hardly walk grin - yes rhihaf they are pockets - they are pretty though, and seem well made and have so far withstood my washing at 60. Really pleased with my wet bag from there though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now