This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Best disposable nappies for newborns

(16 Posts)
scoutfinch1 Sun 10-Feb-13 18:00:33

Expecting DC1 and want to know which nappies are the best and best value. I hear Huggies are being taken of the market so this really leaves pampers and the supermarket brands. We have Lidl, Asda and boots near by but could always get others online.

Also how many of each size and is it better to get a variety of brands to see which ones work best for us?

TheFallenNinja Sun 10-Feb-13 18:09:27

We used Sainsbury's, they were fine, reasonably priced too.

spekulatius Sun 10-Feb-13 20:36:41

I used huggies and pampers for first few weeks as they were given to me. Didn't like them much, with huggies couldn't test tell if nappy was wet and scabu kept on checking. They do have a wetness indicator thing on the outside. I then used Aldi's and supermarkets own brand though wouldn't go for the 'value' too cheap option. Now on cloth nappies, much better for her skin.

BabyRoger Sun 10-Feb-13 20:38:47

I liked pampers new born. Nice and soft. I found huggies very hard and crunchy.

I now use Morrisons own and they are ok but I haven't used the newborn ones.

Jayne266 Sun 10-Feb-13 20:40:50

My DS got bad nappy rash off pampers so I use ASDA little angels which are great I have also heard good things about TESCO own but I have never used them.

KatieMiddleton Sun 10-Feb-13 20:41:05

The cheapest. When first born they go through loads. Then cloth. Much cheaper and kinder on my dc's bums.

You can always buy more nappies so don't buy loads and loads to start with. Use the baby's weight as a guide and ime you're best off going up a size where there's an overlap than down.

KatieMiddleton Sun 10-Feb-13 20:42:24

I've used Tesco, Boots, Huggies and Aldi nappies at various times. All infinitely better than the Pampers ones I tried.

Toast123 Sun 10-Feb-13 20:46:35

Tesco nappies were the only ones that didn't leak when DD2 was little, she was long thin and quite wriggly. Later on I think they give her nappy rash so we're on to pampers.

LemonBreeland Sun 10-Feb-13 20:49:02

Aldi have started doing newborn nappies and they are very good.

KB02 Sun 10-Feb-13 21:48:49

Aldi, Tesco, Asda, Morrisons are all great. I got cloth nappies at 5 months and wish I'd got them sooner. Got them second hand so very cheap.

Fairylea Sun 10-Feb-13 21:52:26

Aldi ones are excellent. Well worth stocking up on them.

Loubyloulou88 Thu 14-Feb-13 04:17:12

I'm currently trailing Tesco's newborn and so far so good. No leaks yet, and they have a wetness indicator too (which isn't quite as good as the one in Huggies newborn but serves its purpose.) My LO seems very comfy in them and they fit well. I'd definitely recommend giving a pack a try (and your purse will love you for it to! grin) x

rrreow Thu 14-Feb-13 13:06:10

I think you have to try out for yourself. I've heard people have success with brands that just didn't work at all for my DS. We tried Boots, some Eco brand, Huggies and Pampers. Huge leaks (wee, I find some poo is going to escape no matter what you do when it comes to newborn breastfed poo) with all except Pampers for us.

GirlOutNumbered Thu 14-Feb-13 13:11:16

I think lidl do great nappies, really soft and small. We buy them when in France as well. Anyway, you change them so often as a newborn I would always go with the cheapest.

I have never had a problem with morrisons, although they seem a bit rough.

Pleasenomorepeppa Thu 14-Feb-13 13:15:46

We use Sainsburys & Asda. I agree that Morrisons are a bit rough.

adagio Thu 14-Feb-13 13:29:59

use your offers too - join boots club buy pampers and get a change bag; boots have a huggies starter pack £6 for nappies, wipes and dry wipes (which i use to dry her bum after the cotton wool/water routine); sainsburys club gives you a free box of stuff when you buy huggies; bounty magazine did a coupon for £3.50 off huggies in tesco; and bounty or maybe emmas diary packs ( print coupons online) did a few £ off coupons for pampers in boots.
Basically I think I had the first 4 weeks or so covered from all the clubs/offers, but only bought one pack of huggies and pampers sz1 and one pack sz 2 huggies i think initially as didn't know what size babe would be.

My baby born 6lb12 dropped to 6lb1, still in size one now at about 8lb - i tried sz 2 huggies the other day but got a rather wet leg (both of us - nice) so sticking with the smaller ones for now.

Now with pampers new baby as size 1 was £4 for 50 in tesco a couple of weeks ago, but intend to switch to s/market own when all the offers cease. Oh and pampers new baby sz 1 appear slightly bigger than huggies (aesthetically not on the pack/weight size), and sainsbo sz 1 leaked for me but that could have been my appalling pfb nappy application technique (I was initially worried about squashing her poor little tummy - I have since toughened up!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now