This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Cloth nappy experts i need your help

(11 Posts)
nannyl Thu 07-Feb-13 14:23:25

back ground
DD 17m old... was in cloth full time from 2 days - 10 months.

at 10m we moved house / went on holiday and were "homeless" for a few weeks so for that time (as we stayed with various family across the country) I moved to dispoables..... for perhaps 3 weeks MAX

during this time she got nasty nappy rash (in July), it never cleared properly until October, even with visits to GP nearly every week of aug / sept.
Obviously i blamed this on disposables.....

While her bum was SOOOOO sore i continued with a disposable at night only (cause cloth seemed to make it worse) and we were back to cloth in the day....

I also realised my night nappies smelt a bit and needed stripping....

in October i got pg again.... my 2nd HG pregnancy so have been pretty poorly for the end of last year and beginning of this year, so stripping nappies was low on my list of priorities... and she has continues to have a disposable at night and cloth in the day... all fine

This week i have stripped all my night / bamboo nappies. (I bought http://www.milliesnappies.co.uk/product.php?id_product=2491 eco sprout]] and i was very VERY impressed) after all night in the bath, and 2 more rinses my nappies seemed cleaner than ever......

So last night i put DD back into cloth. (an ellas house (which is fleece lined) and a mother east airflow)... DDs bum is now red raw and really really sore again.

Does anyone have any ideas? when its better im thinking of trying a bamboo with a paper liner (I never normally use paper liners but im wondering if its better than fleece that i normally use to line nappies that arnt lined)

I really dont want DD in disposables at night in the long term.... I HATE disposables, and i have loads of lovely night nappies (I have a cloth collection of about 200!)

Can anyone suggest doing anything so i can get DD back into cloth at night, without causing her skin to get SOOOO sore?
(we put loads of vaseline on her bum last night too... lots and lots which is normally a great barrier, and i find works the best for her (I have metanium / burts bees / waitrose bum butter / sudo cream / bepanthen too)

She is in the nappy for 12 hours but we never had any problems ever until we were forced into disposables.

Id really like to persevere and not give up, but cant keep trying making her bum so incredibly sore sad

cloutiedumpling Thu 07-Feb-13 18:44:26

I read somewhere that silk liners are very good for persistent nappy rash. Haven't tried them myself and I think they were quite expensive. Would a cloth shop sell you a small length of silk to try out?

I think fleece would probably be better than a paper liner. I've read that fleece only lets liquid pass through one direction and so should keep your DD's bum drier than paper.

nannyl Thu 07-Feb-13 20:00:25

Thank you cloutie for your reply

id herd that too, about liners... hence the only time i ever use paper is if we are staying away and im using someone elses washing machine.

Would be a good idea to get some silk liners to help heal (I had forgotten i knew that!) but i dont know if they would make the night nappy not aggrevate her bum all night.

She has also come out in chicken pox this afternoon, so i wonder if that could have changed things slightly? and she's definitely cutting more teeth (which dont normally bother her at all)

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 07-Feb-13 21:41:39

Hi nannyl, no other ideas I'm afraid but I know the nappy lady sells silk liners. If you do need to stick with disposables for a bit, I like beaming baby - they are mostly biodegradable and don't have the plasticky feel of pampers etc. Your poor DD, hope she gets better soon.

nannyl Fri 08-Feb-13 09:13:45

thats biscuit

i havent herd of beaming baby, will take a look.

bump for todays mumsnetters, i really hoped their might be a magic answer but i fear not.

spekulatius Fri 08-Feb-13 12:52:39

I'm not an expert but bamboo is suppose to be antibacterial and good for the skin so maybe try them? For day and night time. Could you email the nappy lady?

bamboo is great on sensitive skin, and silk liners are very helpful - needs to be raw silk though. I would have thought a fleece liner would be better than paper ones honestly, though being dry isn't the same as being clean. The CP won't be helping in all likelihood, but we had CP when on hols with sposies and my dd had the most horrendous spots in her nappy area, I was convinced if I'd had my terries she wouldn't have been so uncomfortable. Nappy free time will help, and cooled camomile tea can be very soothing on nappy rash too.

venys Sun 24-Feb-13 23:02:58

Hi, your story sounds similar to ours. Rash at night time started soon after DS went totally onto solids around a year old. Tried everything with the night nappies, and in the end put it down to ammonia burns. The wee is simply too strong now it's not being diluted with loads of milk. So have had to resort to using Sposies at night, my fave is Moltex Oko. bambo Nature next best.

Interesting what you say about EHBH as someone had that really the only good night nappies are those and WNNNs - which we don't have and I was vaguely thinking of trying.

HerrenaHarridan Mon 25-Feb-13 10:37:25

My ex mil swears by egg white and a lot if older generation have said the same. Haven't needed to try it yet so can't comment personally I always use bum butter or sudocreme.
We always have an outbreak when we switch between disposables and reusable but it never lasts more than a week.

nannyl Mon 25-Feb-13 11:31:26

my daughter is anaphylactic to egg, with off the scale reactions to egg white especially, so i darent try the egg white tip.
Thanks anyway smile

HerrenaHarridan Mon 25-Feb-13 15:13:06

Best not then! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now