This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Help! how to get poo out of velcro...

(15 Posts)
RudolphTheRedNosedGiraffe Mon 04-Feb-13 20:06:27

Please excuse the Christmas nickname, very busy new mum here blush

So my lovely daughter did a massive runny breastfed poo that leaked onto her nappy wrap (motherease rikki) and now, having been through the washing machine, there are still yellow bits of poo stuck to the velcro tab and now they've dried on... any advice on how to get these off? I've tried rubbing and attacking with a comb and still no luck!

rrreow Mon 04-Feb-13 22:00:11

Watching with interest as I've got some poopy velcro issues..

Giraffe213 Tue 05-Feb-13 22:59:22

Apparently nobody knows... I decided to carry on using it and hope it comes out in the wash next time!
(changed my name back)

monsterchild Tue 05-Feb-13 23:01:16

I would try vinegar and scrubbing with a toothbrush. An old toothbrush of course!

rrreow Wed 06-Feb-13 10:15:49

I can tell from experience that it doesn't come out in the wash (or if it does veeeeeeeeeeerrry slowly - I've had some raisin debris stuck in the velcro of some of my nappies for several weeks now).

I'm going to try the toothbrush tip, thanks!

Giraffe213 Thu 07-Feb-13 18:40:43

Thanks smile

rrreow Thu 07-Feb-13 21:43:11

OK I spent about an hour last night cleaning the velcro of the grand total of FOUR nappies sad.

I used an old toothbrush, a flea comb and my fingers. The toothbrush was most effective at getting the fluff/poo more loose and to the surface, but then because the 'hooks' from the velcro trap everything, you really need to use your fingers otherwise it just doesn't come out.

sleepyhead Thu 07-Feb-13 21:47:17

If it's been through the washing machine I decree that it's "clean" blush

I did sell some nappies and wraps a few years ago though and spent an evening digging out bits from the velcro... A toothbrush and a needle for the really tricky bits.

A nit comb does the trick and remembering to fold tabs back before washing next time.

rrreow Fri 08-Feb-13 11:51:49

I'm selling some of mine, hence the effort! For my own ones it's definitely: washed = clean. The fold back tabs on mine don't work unfortunately (it's just regular fabric you're supposed to fold it onto, rather than the 'loop' type fabric from velcro - it stopped sticking after about 1 months use, pretty crap!).

jammiecat Fri 08-Feb-13 11:58:13

I found scrubbing with a nail brush worked with DS's nappies.

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Fri 08-Feb-13 12:02:12

I was about to suggest a toothbrush too. Pooey fingers - lovely. Hi Rreeow <waves at evil twin> is that your MioSolos? The laundry tabs are rubbish on them aren't they. BTW I had night nappy success with a bamboozle last night! Boosted with hemp and airflow wrap.

idlevice Fri 08-Feb-13 12:21:17

I use a pair of very thin long handled tweezers to clean various velcro tabs on clothing, bags, etc I "borrowed" them from work so it isn't the sort of thing you might have around but the long thin pointy ends can get through the little loops & bristles with ease.

tethersend Fri 08-Feb-13 12:26:50

Try running it under the shower on the 'massage' setting or similar.

rrreow Fri 08-Feb-13 13:26:24

<waves at BiscuitCrumbsInBed> yes it's the MioSolos! I have such a love/hate relationship with them haha. Yay for the night nappy success. My Bamboozles need about 5 more washes I think before I will take the plunge. Looking forward to it though as DSs Pampers leaked the other night (and they weren't even that full.. tsk)

idlevice I might look into that! DH suggested tweezers but the only ones I've got are the type you get in a Christmas cracker! I guess you'd really need the proper medical ones like what they use to remove splinters.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now