This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

RLR laundry treatment (to strip cloth nappies)

(12 Posts)
nannyl Mon 28-Jan-13 14:13:43

Has anyone come across RLR laundry treatment here in the uk?

I saw this link and want to try it on my bamboo night nappies, that i have tried to strip normally, but i seem to have failed.

The only place i have found to buy is on ebay, buying from america.

the link i saw that made me want to try this wonder product

also has anyone actually used it and did it work?

rrreow Mon 28-Jan-13 17:08:37

Sounds amazing, but I'd be wary of using it on my AIOs unless I knew what was in it. Someone on a blog says it's "laundry soda" not sure what that is and if it's the same as bicarbonate of soda. Bicarb of soda isn't recommended on nappies (from the TotsBots website: "Bicarbonate of Soda and Vinegar can dissolve cotton and bamboo fibres. Whilst a lot of nappy websites recommend using them to sanitise and soften nappies they will drastically shorten their lifespan and render your guarantee void.").

Have you tried stripping with dishwasher tabs? My last strip wash with 2 tabs and two rinses afterwards seems to have done the trick.

nannyl Mon 28-Jan-13 17:51:17

i havent tried dishwasher tabs no...

sounds cheaper too..... smile

do you just put them in the machine with (clean) nappies? on 60? then wash again to rinse? (DD has super sensitive skin and i only use surcare normally)

I was only planning on using it on my fitteds, not on any aio's or wraps, just the absorbant bits

rrreow Mon 28-Jan-13 18:50:36

For normal nappy laundry I do a rinse then a wash (40 usually, 60 occasionally) with an extra rinse at the end.

For a strip wash I do a rinse, wash at 40 with my regular detergent, then wash with two dishwasher tabs (straight into the drum, not in the drawer) at 60 with extra rinse, then another rinse to finish off. If you have a spin hold function that could be useful so your machine isn't needlessly spinning when you're about to do another rinse anyway.

I do this on my AIOs (they were the only type I had until recently!). I live in London so very hard water and I strip wash every 4 months or so, whenever I notice the nappies really smell of wee as soon as I take them off DS.

nannyl Mon 28-Jan-13 19:59:30

thanks

i'll give that a try

(i wash my nappies the same as you, except always at 60, and i do extra rinse on both halfs!_

nannyl Mon 28-Jan-13 20:00:09

do you use regular dw tabs or 3 in one ones? does it matter?

rrreow Mon 28-Jan-13 21:22:38

I don't know if it matters, I've used Waitrose own brand and the ones I used most recently were some super cheap brand that I'd never heard of.

nannyl Wed 30-Jan-13 14:44:48

someone on a cloth nappy group has advised using this eco sprout so will be trying this first!

reviews are good and it wont damage the nappies either smile

rrreow Wed 30-Jan-13 15:33:55

Ooh sounds nice (love the different scents), might give that a try sometime soon.

rrreow Sun 10-Feb-13 12:51:49

nannyl Did you end up trying Eco Sprout? I soaked my whole stash last week and some stains came out that had been in there forever! Some stains (on preloved nappies) stayed though, so will have to wait for elusive sunshine for those. The fabric also felt softer than before (especially microfibre ones) which is nice as I live in such a hard water area. I'm not 100% sure yet if its worth the extra cost though, as it is a bit more expensive than supermarket own brand non-bio.

nannyl Sun 10-Feb-13 13:35:33

Yes

i got eco sprout, and i have to say i was impressed.... many of my nappies too were pre-loved and i have never experianced them as clean smile

(i had 3 bath fulls of nappys to strip)

BUT..... despite being in cloth FT from day 2 - 10m old (when we switched to disposables for <3 weeks, while we sold our house, were homeless for a few days staying with random relatives, then moving into the house we bought) she got AWFUL nappy rash.. blamed sposies, but from then on she had had a sposie at night (as cloth seemed to make these awful rash worse, we were at drs pretty much every week for 2 months).... (once in new house she has been in cloth all day)

I knew my night nappies needed stripping, so I blamed that (and then got pg again, another HG pregnanct bla bla bla, so having been poorly for months had not got round to stripping)

Sooo............ [gets back to the point] she went back into a lovely fresh stripped ellas house bumhugger (hemp and fleece lined) with a ME airflow wrap, and got that awful nappy rash again sad.... Im at a loss as to what to do... it was never a problem before her bum had touched a disposable....

But Thursday was also the day she came out in chicken pox... and she has loads in her nappy area so maybe it was that?

Anyway once the pox has gone, i will try again, so although eco sprout is truley amazing, im not sure if i can still use my lovely cloth night nappy on my dds bum anymore sad

rrreow Sun 10-Feb-13 17:06:24

I did read about someone else's DC having a reaction when they switched detergents. Although I do remember DSs bum being very sore when he had chicken pox, so hopefully it's just that and your DD will be fine with reusables again once she's recovered from that?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now