This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

So I took the plunge and bought Motherease Onesize...

(11 Posts)
peanutMD Thu 24-Jan-13 08:21:24

I've never used reusables before but quite fancy it for DC2 even part time.

I've heard mixed reviews about them but they seem to look easy(ish) to use, I've managed to get 10 + 10 Terry pop in liners(?) For £10 which I thought was reasonable especially if I decide not to use.

Any experience and what else do I need?

rrreow Thu 24-Jan-13 12:55:14

Wow you found an absolute BARGAIN! I've recently found some cheap MEOS as well and trialling them now (on DS who is 20mo), so far I'm quite pleased and impressed! I've come from All-in-Ones (that I've had to boost for proper absorbency) and so far the MEOS are lasting just as long without any extra boosting and not had any leaks yet.

I'm using them with the Mother Ease Airflow Wrap. Although for newborns you probably want to go with the Mother Ease Rikki Wrap as it has a gusset so will be much better for poo containment. It closes with Velcro though so once your baby gets to toddler age it might be better to swap to Airflow as they close with poppers. The Mother Ease wraps are sized, so you'll need to get Small for a newborn, then Medium etc. The Medium is supposed to be from 10-20lbs but they're still a good fit on my DS (27lbs), the Large is quite big on him still. I guess you'll find out what suits best with your particular baby. There are many other brands of wrap out there as well (some sized, some one size but adjustable) but I haven't personally tried any. I'm looking to try some Blueberry Coveralls as the designs are just gorgeous.

Also for a newborn you don't need to use the pop in liners on the nappies (as you want to make them as small as possible and the liners make them quite bulky). You might want to use a fleece liner. These are usually used to catch the poo so you can flush it down the toilet, but newborn poo is so runny you can't really do that (you can just pop it all in the wash), but the reason I'm recommending fleece liners is because the terry MEOS do tend to feel a bit rough, so it'd be nice for the baby to have a soft layer against their skin (moisture just goes through the fleece, so it's effectively a soft stay-dry layer).

Just a note on the word liner. The MEOS uses the word liner for the pop in pad, which is actually a booster (it creates more absorbency). Usually when you read the word liner what is meant is either a fleece or disposable thin layer (that has no absorbent properties) that is used to catch the solids so you can easily flush them down the toilet. No need to use liners for a pre-weaned breastfed baby (sorry I have no experience with formula), but once they're on solids you probably want to use them.

Hope this novel is helpful grin

Is your DC1 still in nappies? Could be good practice to use on him/her.

peanutMD Thu 24-Jan-13 20:35:37

Thanks for all your advice, unfortunately the sale feel through (it was through my local FB page) due to the fact that I went to pick them up and some of them were covered in poo stains!

I realise of course this can happen but when I say stained I mean full on skid mark stains which have apparently been bleached to improve hmm

I will however bare what you have said in mind as I look out for more and will happily party a but more for some minor stainage grin

Oh and unfortunately my DS is 6.7 so I'm not sure how he'd feel about being a nappy model lol

rrreow Thu 24-Jan-13 20:52:59

Oh gosh, yuck, no wonder they were cheap! They come up a lot on eBay and used nappy sites, so I'm sure you'll be able to find some soon at a reasonable price.

rrreow Sun 27-Jan-13 21:05:56

I forgot to change DSs nappy today in the afternoon blush (insert bad mummy icon) BUT it means I can now safely say that the MEOS with insert (regular cotton ones, not bamboo) can last for about 7 hours without leaking! And his skin looked fine as well.

Also yesterday we were out in the car for 1.5 hours and that nappy lasted 4 hours (that's the normal time I'd go between nappy changes for DS as long as he hadn't done a poo), which my AIOs definitely wouldn't have done without a leak.

MEOs were one of my first nappies, they were very good, the ME Sandy's is also a very reliable option, esp for babies who do poo explosions smile There is also a Popolini One Size which is extremely similar to the MEO and just as good in my experience.

Ariela Fri 22-Feb-13 00:47:06

MEOS are great, excellent on containment IMO.

IrnBruTheNoo Mon 25-Mar-13 09:24:05

I use MEOS and have never found them a problem.

flowerfairy Mon 25-Mar-13 11:06:26

I've just put some on the for sale page if you are interested!

flowerfairy Mon 25-Mar-13 11:07:42

I've only used them on one child and I loved them for ease of use on ds. dd is a bit more dainty so they always looked huge on her so haven't used them this time.

peanutMD Tue 26-Mar-13 11:41:13

Aah was just coming back to ask a few questions and saw this had been bumped smile

Flower thanks for the offer but one of my worries now is that DD is absolutely tiny so wondered if there was anything that wouldn't swamp her lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now