Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

gnappies, reusables and big wee issues

(19 Posts)
peasandcarrots30 Mon 21-Jan-13 20:04:17

I have a bunch of gnappies that my sister was able to get a little more cheaply for me in the U.S (lucky me!). They are really cute, easy to use and a great fit however I am not finding them very absorbent at all. I'm new to the whole re-uable thing, but want to give it a good go. However I am currently changing every 1.5/2hrs! Has anyone else has this difficulty? Should I put another lining in, if so whats more absorbent? Is my babe (20wks) just a mammoth wee-er?

stargirl1701 Tue 22-Jan-13 04:24:42

Have you tried a bamboo or hemp booster?

peasandcarrots30 Tue 22-Jan-13 10:06:31

i've avoided bamboo and hemp as I was told they would take an age to dry, my flat is already looking like window twanky's launderette ;) do you reckon thats the only way? and if so, is there a quicker drying one you would recommend?

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Tue 22-Jan-13 13:26:27

I think you probably do need a booster, I've got little lambs bamboo boosters which are nice and slim. They do take a while to dry (I give them 24 hrs on the airer then overnight in the airing cupboard - or all day on a hot radiator) I change my 18 mo every 2-3 hours, I don't know what gNappies are like but I only get about 2 hours without leaks from an all in one nappy with one microfibre insert and one bamboo. My fitted nappies (separate nappy and wrap) last more like 3 hours.

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Tue 22-Jan-13 13:28:02

The more absorbent boosters take the longest to dry, for that very reason, because they ARE so absorbent, IYSWIM?!

rrreow Tue 22-Jan-13 15:43:27

Having had a quick look on their website, the washable inserts are made with 2 layers of microfibre and 2 of cotton/hemp. So fairly absorbent, but not super absorbent and would definitely expect they'd need boosting at some point in time depending on how heavy a wetter your DC is.

Like the poster above I recommend the Little Lamb Bamboo boosters. They are very slim, so fit easily into a pocket nappy without making it too bulky, but because they're bamboo they add quite a bit of absorbency. I have enough nappies and boosters to last 48 hours between washes, so my bamboo boosters always get around 48 hours to dry on an airer. This is enough provided they haven't got stuck inside a nappy (as then they come out of the wash pretty sodden as the spin cycle from the washing machine just doesn't get the moisture out properly).

For my 20mo DS I use Mio Solo nappies (microfibre) with a Little Lamb bamboo booster inside, and this will last 2-4 hours (depending on how much he wees). It's not my favourite system and I'm in the process of changing, but in terms of absorbency it does the job.

peasandcarrots30 Tue 22-Jan-13 20:27:02

Yes Biscuitcrumbs you are genius, glad someone is getting some sleep to get through this diaper-drying fog.

So today I popped one of my microfibre BG inners in with the regular Gpant inner. So it made it way bulkier (i think the point of GP is they are slim, but a slim wet napper is just a bag of wee, literally) BUT ladies it worked! No leaks, and a dryish bottom on dd. So game on, rrreow I am all about the stuffing, in fact has turned into a little game to see exactly how MUCH I can stuff in these things. Will give the bamboo little lambs a whirl.

Another question, if you don't mind, re-usables and leaving the house (DD is 20wks so i hope to soon smile) the wetbag, any recommendations? Am just using the cheeky wipes bags at the moment but with all these inserts and I am reckoning on something more substantial?

rrreow Tue 22-Jan-13 21:08:14

I've got a Smartipants wet bag that I give to the nursery to use on the days DS goes. One of these: http://www.fill-your-pants.com/nappy-bucket/nappy-wet-bag.html They do nice colours and it's quite big. Can easily fit 3 bulky nappies plus wet clothes if needed.

rrreow Tue 22-Jan-13 21:08:31

Argh I always forget to tick the link box: www.fill-your-pants.com/nappy-bucket/nappy-wet-bag.html

peasandcarrots30 Tue 22-Jan-13 21:20:00

ooo great, and good price, inserts here I come, thanks! grin

Kelbells Tue 22-Jan-13 21:35:41

On the wetbag front I highly recommend a 'my little patch' wetbag! I use a medium double which has a section for clean nappies (and spare clothes, wipes etc) and another for wet stuff.... It's a godsend! You can get them through the nappy lady but her own website has a lot more choice (sorry am on my phone so can't link but a quick google should find her!)

MinniesMate Wed 23-Jan-13 17:31:27

Gnappies have a very good Facebook page and are very helpful with answering any questions on using Gnappies.

My DD uses these nappies for DGS, also 20 weeks old, and found them very helpful when she had a few problems when she started using them. She doesn't need to boost them and can go 3 hours between changes.

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 24-Jan-13 09:56:20

Why thank you blush and I'm not getting much sleep, just a lot of coffee...! Glad to have helped. LL bamboo boosters are a lot slimmer than the microfibre ones I have, so that may help with the bulkiness. I got a cheap wet bag from the pixie pants Facebook page but the my little patch ones look so nice!

Kelbells Thu 24-Jan-13 13:56:43

Ooh biscuit would you update on how the pixie pants wetbag works out? Was looking at her xl ones for weekends away... I might have a go at making one though.. Maybe... Have just bought a few pockets from her smile

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 24-Jan-13 20:47:09

Kelbells I like it, I got a medium and it's a bit smaller than I was expecting, but fine for just a day out - it'll take 4 nappies if you don't put anything else in it. Nice thick material. I've washed it a couple of times already and it seems to survive ok (I wash all nappy stuff at 60, I know not everyone does) I like the pattern too, it's blue with lions and other animals on, dd always wants to play with it! smile so yes I would say all in all am v pleased.

I'm also trying some hemp boosters at the mo from easy peasy nappies which are a bit thicker than the bamboo but do seem to be more absorbent... Gt one in her nappy now (only second night in cloth so we'll see!)

peasandcarrots30 Thu 24-Jan-13 21:01:34

So gpant nappy towers reckon I need to wash gnappy inserts on 60, confused as BG nappies are 40 and gpants outers are also 40, all these different washes don't sounds very environmentally smiley but anyway, will try the different wash. Another gnappy crazed fan on FB (thanks minnies) reckons that because gnappies are so pants 'breathable' they do get damp, her DS gets damp each time but she reckons it goes after she changes and bum is dry? curious.

Let me know how you get on with the hemp biscuit. I have ordered a stunner of a wetbag from my little patch. I have a feeling this reuable nappy thing is dangerous spending territory and i've only just begun (DH raises eyebrow)

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 24-Jan-13 21:38:12

It's very dangerous indeed... - I started off really sensibly but then joined one of the cloth nappy facebook groups and now... Suffice to say I have more nappies than I really need. I just sold 3 of my miosolos on one of the fb sales groups because it was all getting a bit too much. I still 'only' have around 30 though so not a crazy amount!

peasandcarrots30 Sun 03-Feb-13 18:44:38

So I washed the Gnappy inserts a couple more times on 60, seems to have improved them. Gnappy mums also recommend a 'hemp sandwich' for heavy wetters - 2x inserts hemp side together, working okay. Meanwhile headed to opposite side of nappy spectrum and got some bumbles from the nappy lady for nighttimes. Liking these alot and no leaks - except when I washed with fabric softener, ops.

MinniesMate Tue 05-Feb-13 19:42:52

"Another gnappy crazed fan on FB" - laughing at this!

That's my DD and she is bonkers about them!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now