This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

What do I do wrong? All AIOs seem to leak!

(9 Posts)
sarahanneg Fri 18-Jan-13 12:23:47

Hi
Got an 8 week old girl and been using bamboozles and wraps so far. They are great, never leak but are quite bulky. So I've tried AIOs for daytime. Tried tots bots easyfit, Bambinex and Itti Bitti d'lish, all of them leak. Not on the legs cos she got chubby legs, seems to come out from the top in the front. I fasten them quite tight but every time they leak. What do I do wrong? Please help!

rrreow Fri 18-Jan-13 15:07:53

How many times have you prewashed them? Could be they're just not absorbent enough yet. Depends on the fabric, but stuff like bamboo needs at least 10 washes to reach optimum absorbency.

I had a similar problem with the Easifit (never tried the others) but I have a DS so I put it down to him weeing at the front because he's a boy (and in hindsight also hadn't washed them enough).

With the bamboozles, is she in the size 1 or size 2s? In either case, you should be able to take the snap in insert out (according to the nappy lady videos I watched) until she's a bit bigger. That could reduce the bulkiness a bit.

sarahanneg Fri 18-Jan-13 21:11:08

They've all been pre washed lots of times. Some of them are second hand and have been well used. Don't know what the problem is, only using bamboozles now but I really want some slim fitting AIOs, especially for going out.

rrreow Fri 18-Jan-13 21:22:59

Probably you're not doing anything wrong, but they're just not the right nappy for your DD's shape or wee-style (for lack of a better word grin). You might try the Fuzzibunz, the elastic in them (legs & waist) is fully adjustable, so it's great for babies whose waist/legs are just outside the fit of other nappies.

If your DD is a heavy wetter maybe the AIOs need boosting. Little Lamb do bamboo boosters that are very absorbent but very slim. Also this is just a theory but might be worth considering: the nappy needs to be on snugly, but don't put them on TOO tight as the inner fabric needs a bit of space to absorb the wee. Hope you get on better!

Also if they're second hand and have been used lots, could be there is detergent buildup which makes them less absorbent. There is another thread on this forum about strip washing, could be worth looking into too!

stargirl1701 Sat 19-Jan-13 00:32:05

My TotsBots leaked too. I've had success with BumGenius.

notcitrus Sat 19-Jan-13 01:06:59

Conversely my babies both leaked with BumGenius but TotsBots were wonderful... Chubby babies, unlike skinny dn who suited BG.

No pockets or AIOs were as good as Motherease though, but I need more AIOs/pockets for nursery now my Kushies are dying.

sleeplessinderbyshire Fri 25-Jan-13 21:57:51

I need to boost easifits loads and even then get 3hrs max out of them. bitti dlish were hopeless with DD1 who weed for britain but I can get 3-4 hrs out of one with DD2

brettgirl2 Wed 06-Feb-13 20:08:36

Totsbots easyfits leak for me also I have to use a wrap with them otherwise I'm changing outfits every half an hour (although the one dd has put on baby annabelle lasts fine grin). The only aio I've found that works is the wonderoo. I also use flips which are good, although they need changing quite frequently.

Its funny the AIOs for nursery, if I have to send bamboozles as I've run out of everything else they use them first! I'd just send the motherease rather than buying new ones.

Thirsties Duo Diapers are a very reliable pocket, they have a combination microfibre and hemp insert so very absorbent. For a slimmer 2 part nappy you could try the Nature Babies Bamboo Lovable, quite a bit slimmer than a bamboozle stretch. Thirsties Duo AIOs are slim fitting but are not the most absorbent nappy, intended as a convenient daytime option but as you've had others leak I'd worry that this one would too. The only other suggestion is to try some out from a nappy library or an online nappy trial scheme if you don't want to be spending out on more nappies, or look for some preloved ones to try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now