This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How do I get rid of poo?

(7 Posts)
sarahanneg Sat 12-Jan-13 09:25:27

Hi. I've only started using cloth nappies recently an I really struggle with the poo. I've used both fleece and flushable liners but I always get poo on the nappy. And then it stains. Really messy. My baby is 7 weeks old so its quite runny from the breastmilk. Any advice on how to deal with poo a bit more effectively? Thanks

lljkk Sat 12-Jan-13 09:34:27

Cut up old clothes in sizes you want to use as liners, toss them if pooey.

If you want to continue with regular thin liners, try Napisan in nappy washes and hanging in sun to remove stains. Note the Napisan will bleech other colours out, though, so best on only whites.

Don't despair, no matter how stained at one time, all my nappies turned white again, after enough washes & sun exposure.

Once they are on solids poo not so runny, and fleece liners can work well (poo peels off them very well), and stains hard to see if they are non-white colour to start with.

Kelbells Sat 12-Jan-13 13:09:22

My DS is 12 weeks and I use fleece liners which I've cut up from an old fleece blanket to cover as much of the nappy as possible, I tend to sit them on a sunny windowsill to bleach out any stubborn stains. I don't use napisan or anything as I think they may be bad for bamboo and invalidate the guarantee for a lot of modern nappies. Have to say it doesn't bother me too much though, the nappies are clean, washed at 60... And they will probably all look a lot better after a hot summer swaying on a washing line in the uv rays <crosses fingers and prays in the same way she does for a lottery win every Saturday> grin

stargirl1701 Sun 13-Jan-13 13:02:19

I didn't use liners with milk poos. The nappies did stain but a strip wash sorted them out.

lljkk Sun 13-Jan-13 15:55:54

Come to think of it, I gave up on liners for a long time, too, when babies were at the age that they only poo'ed every 4 days or so. They were pointless washing, otherwise. Those nappies all turned white again, too.

sarahanneg Sun 13-Jan-13 21:16:48

Thanks a lot. I didn't know about the strip wash thing. Will try that. I'm also not too fussy about stains but bought a lot of my nappies preloved and they had no stains so i thought I must be doing something wrong.

I never used liners when LO was just having milk. Only started using them once he began solids regularly. Just used to stick the whole pooey mess in the washing machine.

Don't fret about the stains. Pre-loved nappies I've bought have had no stains either, and I just can't work it out! Do a strip wash every month or so to keep your nappies fresh though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now