This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

is there any point in using a mix of non and reusables?

(12 Posts)
peanutMD Mon 24-Dec-12 10:55:15

I really fancy trying out Terry squares for DC2 (mainly because of price) but DP is horrified by the thought of washables so I think I might try them out at home during the day and at night time/out/if DP was in charge.

It seems like I'd be using disposables most of the time but I like the idea that in the long run I could save some sort of money and contribute slightly less to the poo lound at landfill.

Am I mad?

FunnyBird Mon 24-Dec-12 11:00:37

I've used a mix for two and a half years. Disposables for busy days out and over night. Reusables when I can. It's about 50:50. I try to use NATY nature babycare disposables. Don't know if there's any point, but I like it.

Eskarina Wed 26-Dec-12 19:47:32

No, not mad at all. I've not used terry squares but we do use a mix of disposables and washables. We started with all washables (there really isn't anything for your DH to be horrified of!) then dd started to leak regularly at night and we switched to disposables for night time and holidays. Then she went to her childminder when she was 12m and cm didn't want to use reusables so I supply disposables. The only slight problem we have now that dd doesn't get through more than 3-4 nappies a day, so probably only 1-2 reusable, is that we don't get a full load of washing before the nappy bin really stinks - I don't like leaving dirty nappies more than about 3 days, wet ones can last a little longer!

Would your DH be any less horrified by shaped nappies? You put them on like a disposable (if you have Velcro ones) then put the wrap over the top. I got some 2nd hand and they were very cheap.

I think lots of people who use cloth during the day stick a disposable on at night, I certainly did.

I used squares most of the time, but didn't beat myself up too much if we had the odd day (esp on days out) where I used disposables. Still managed to cut down on the number of nappies in the bin, and saved a bit of money too.

Aethelfleda Wed 26-Dec-12 19:55:07

Not mad at all peanut, every single nappy you don't stick in landfill saves you about 15-25p in hard cash (that allows for special offer/own brand nappy plus wipes plus nappy sack cost), plus one less nappy sitting there for 2-300 years plus.

I second googling about other nappies: Little Lamb velcro nappies do a trial pack where you get a nappy and a wrap pretty cheaply, other nappy retailers offer a "try it out" pack. Some councils sell you a heavily subsidised trial bundle with different makes. Terry squares are quote cheap but I first tried out some pre-tried Motherease nappies for about a pound a pop (plus a tenner for some popper wraps over the top) and it just contains things SO much better than the terries did.

Go online and try looking on Clothnappytree (it's a forum and info site with classifieds) thenappylady, plus google reuseable nappies (and the mumsnet review section) there are loads of options and a lot of mums use reuseables at home and overnight, and disposables when out or on holidays. Well worth a look into anyway, good luck!

stargirl1701 Wed 26-Dec-12 19:56:49

I use real nappies during the day and a disposable overnight. Most fluff users I know use a mixture.

nancerama Wed 26-Dec-12 20:02:04

I use Itti Bitti d'lish snap in ones during the day and Natys at night or on holidays.

Itti Bitti are closing their UK warehouse - stock up now while they are stupidly cheap!

mummysmellsofsick Wed 26-Dec-12 20:15:40

Yes, it's worth it even part time. I think I'd try terry squares if I did it from scratch. We have shaped washables which are lovely but much more expensive than terry squares and take longer to dry. Not sure shaped ones are easier to use anyway now although they look cuter. You should give it a try. I think people don't realise in advance that the poo and wee of your own baby isn't repulsive it's even quite possible to be proud of large stinky poos

naturalbaby Wed 26-Dec-12 20:21:49

I don't know anyone who uses cotton nappies all day every day. I use disposables at night, just couldn't get cotton nappies to work at night.

Once I got going with washables though there didn't seem any point using disposables because it was so easy - I use one size all in ones so they're as easy to use as disposables and go in a bin just like disposables but instead of going in the wheelie bin they go in the washing machine.

I did use disposables, up until I ran out about 6 weeks ago, and only at night. LO has been in full-time cloth since.

I use the Flip system, which you can buy disposable inserts for, which are handy, but wouldn't last a full night. I've used the disposable inserts when I'm doing a big strip wash of the cloth nappies, or sometimes when I out. I keep a couple in my nappy bag.

Eskarina Wed 02-Jan-13 18:20:36

nancerama you've just cost me a fortune on the itti bitti website. Have Dtwins due in June so had ordered smalls for them and a few larges for dd. surprisingly DH didn't ask how much I'd spent. Think he'll get a shock when the cc bill comes in...

rrreow Fri 11-Jan-13 14:58:40

We use reusable nappies (not terries though, but all in ones) most of the time at home and when DS is at nursery. We use disposables at night (as he's a heavy wetter and want to avoid changing him at night) and sometimes during the day if either we know we're not going to be able to change him for a while, or when we're going in the car for a long time (sitting in the car seat seems to make reusables leak more often than not).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now