This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

How often and what method do you strip wash?

(11 Posts)
Notgrownupinmyhead Sun 23-Dec-12 14:48:03

I try and do it once a month using dishwasher tablets. Seems to do the trick but always willing to try something new.

What works for you/how often?

Snusmumriken Sun 23-Dec-12 17:39:20

I have never stripped my Lo's nappies. We have used them for over a year and they seem fine.

Notgrownupinmyhead Sun 23-Dec-12 17:53:27

You're lucky wink what fluff are you using?

Rinse cold
Full 60 degree wash with a tablespoon of fairy liquid dish liquid.
Rinse until no more bubbles. Takes 3 rinses on my machine.
Done.

I use Flips, and tend to only use the microfibre inserts. But I can't get them white again! Some of them have gone grey, and I just can't get them white!!

Notgrownupinmyhead Sat 29-Dec-12 20:14:51

I'll try the Fairy dish soap next time round. I've used Vanish and the windowsills for the inserts, its helped but I can't wait for Spring so they can bleach properly outside. That's a though can you bleach microfiber??

Notgrownupinmyhead Tue 01-Jan-13 23:19:25

blush Visual, I tried the Fairy method and flooded the kitchen!! Dopey sod I am, obviously put too much in.

rrreow Fri 11-Jan-13 14:40:45

VisualiseAHorse I hope you come back to this thread and read this, do you have a front loading washing machine? I've read the fairy liquid tip but am afraid to try it with my front loading machine.

I've tried the dishwasher tab but didn't find it very effective (maybe because I live in an extremely hard water area?).

I've also read about adding some white vinegar to the rinse cycle, but also afraid of doing that as I've read it's not recommended on AIOs with PUL lining, could definitely do that for just the inserts though.

nickelbabe Fri 11-Jan-13 14:41:15

i've never done it either.

what is it?

NappyHappy Sun 13-Jan-13 10:50:47

Strip washing? (I've name changed since I started this thread) Its to remove any build up and give them a right deep clean. I've a front loading washer and flooded the kitchen with the Fairy!!

I was told by the nappy lady not to use vinegar or bicarb so I've been doing 2 cycles at a time as well as the rinses, one with a full dose of soap and then one without. DS2 is teething so his wee in the morning is enough to strip walls!!

How many dishwasher tabs are you using??

rrreow Sun 13-Jan-13 15:51:48

I tried with one tab, then did it again with 2. I did also use bicarb once. I think it was mostly while DS was teething really badly though (and maybe hot weather was to blame as well? I think this was in summer) as it's not too bad now. The bucket smells when I empty it into the washer, but I'm no longer hit by the vile wee stench as soon as I change DSs nappy. Currently using rinse, 40 deg cycle, rinse again (with some tea tree oil added) which seems fine.

NappyHappy Sun 13-Jan-13 15:55:17

Good grin , its definitely worth experimenting. I've used Vanish to help with the unbleachable by sun poo stains but it didn't work, just going to keep washing. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now