This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

First timer & strip washing

(7 Posts)
stargirl1701 Wed 19-Dec-12 22:09:28

Hello. I've been using pocket nappies for 2 months now. Mostly Bumgenius but a few other brands too. I've been washing them at 40 degrees with a cold prewash, extra rinse and using a tbsp of Tots Bots Potion laundry powder. I am now getting a minor whiff of wee from the nappies. So, time for a strip wash!

What do I use? What temp? Prewash? Rinse? Drying?

Please advise oh wise MNetters.

jennimoo Thu 20-Dec-12 07:59:48

Try an extra wash after the next wash without powder and then keep rinsing til there's no bubbles. I'd probably wash on 50 for that wash.

Mine got really bad so I hung them on the live for a week in the rain. Worked really well!

stargirl1701 Thu 20-Dec-12 11:42:11

Thank you.

JiltedJohnsJulie Thu 20-Dec-12 11:44:36

I washed mine at 60 with just normal non bio. Can't remember any whiffs.

HarderToKidnap Thu 20-Dec-12 11:49:18

My Bumgenius STINK after about 4 months so I wash them as normal so they are clean and then wash over and over again on the cotton cycle at 60 with extra rinses on every wash and no powder. About three goes round so no bubbles are coming out does the trick then a few extra rinses for luck and I'm good again for another four months. I've heard things about vinegar but haven't tried it. I'm now triple rinsing after a wash and that seems to be staving off the problem for a bit longer.

stargirl1701 Fri 21-Dec-12 00:21:16

I thought vinegar was only suitable for two part nappies. I'll try washing them at 60 after they're washed as you advise. If that doesn't work, they'll be out on the line!

I had heard about using Fairy washing up liquid. Any thoughts?

Kelbells Fri 21-Dec-12 19:57:14

I think vinegar degrades bamboo and invalidates the guarantee on lots of brands of nappies. Like the idea of leaving the nappies in the rain! Will try that during the next bout of floods! grin.... Thanks for the tips!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now