This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Fabric Softener on Cloth Nappies

(8 Posts)
ProtegeMoi Sun 16-Dec-12 16:20:12

Yeah your really not supposed to use fabric softner.

Not only does it stop the nappy absorbing it can cause them to hold on to smells, increase nappy rash / thrush infections etc.

One time will not cause a huge issue but I would suggest she puts them through a really good strip wash.

cloutiedumpling Sat 15-Dec-12 23:09:19

I used it too before I knew better. I think it had all washed out after a few washes without it.

Nigglenaggle Fri 14-Dec-12 20:02:54

Hmm I have used it for 6mths and mine are fine, so I dont think your friend needs to worry after one use. However you have made me think on and I'm going to stop and see if it is any help with the nappy rash he has at the moment....

I would strip them.

Stick them in the washing machine with a tablespoon of Fairy Liquid in the drawer. Do a full wash, then rinse and rinse until no more bubbles. Might take 3-5 rinses depending on the washing machine cycle lengths.

I never use fabric conditioner, it reduces absorbency, same reason I don't use it for towels!

ClothNappyQuestion Mon 10-Dec-12 12:56:28

Thanks. She's going to strip wash and see how it goes!

Kelbells Mon 10-Dec-12 08:39:30

I would get her to strip wash them and see how they go... I'm sure a couple of strip washes will sort them out if she's only done it once? No real experience though so someone else might be able to give real advice!

niggle fabric softener reduces the absorbency of nappies, a real no no for longevity and leaks, I just tumble mine for 5 mins on low to keep my bamboo nappies soft....

Nigglenaggle Sun 09-Dec-12 22:12:06

I always use fabric conditioner, makes them feel softer.... What are you worried it will do?

ClothNappyQuestion Sun 09-Dec-12 21:50:44

Hello,

NC for anonymity reasons. A friend has accidentally washed her Bambino Mio Solo nappies with fabric conditioner. Has anyone else done this? Will they be ruined? I suggested she strip wash them and hope for the best, but if anyone has any better advice it would be much appreciated!

TIA

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now