Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Napisan causing red bum

(5 Posts)
NeedlesCuties Thu 29-Nov-12 08:32:45

I've been using re-useable nappies on my 3 month old DD from birth and so far so good.

I leave them in a lidded bucket with a bit of tea tree oil and white vinegar when they're we/dirty and before I have enough for a load in the washing machine.
When I wash them, I put them on at 60degree heat, with normal detergent, no fabric softener and a bit of Napisan.

Just wanted to give you a bit of background about how I'm washing them in case it's relevant. This gets them nice and clean and no stains.

But.... DD has a red bum, right the way up the front too - basically all the areas her nappy touches.

I think it's the Napisan causing it, as it doesn't seem to happen at night when she wears a disposable.

Anyone else have experience of this?
Any ideas of alternatives to Napisan?

Advice please!

LadyIsabellaWrotham Thu 29-Nov-12 08:35:34

Give them an extra rinse cycle after washing?

You don't really need to use Napisan. I give my nappies a rinse cycle first, as otherwise you're basically washing you nappies in wee! I then do a normal wash, usually at 40, but occasionally at 60, with half the usually amount of non bio detergent. I've washed this way for both my daughters, and have never especially had problems with nappy rash. Perhaps check that you're not using too much detergent, as this can build up on the nappies. Some people recommend doing a strip wash occasionally, if you look online, there are various methods, including using dishwasher tablets!

Kelbells Thu 29-Nov-12 10:06:15

I use a similar wash process as Nuzzle i dry pail the nappies with a muslin covered with a drop of tea tree to keep it smelling fresh. Rinse, 40 degree wash then a final rinse... If I see any bubbles in the final rinse I rinse again and do a 60 degree wash about once a week. I use half the recommended detergent (powder rather than liquid as it doesn't build up in the machine as much) bio or non bio, if you google it there's a lot of evidence that non bio isn't better for sensitive skin, and put a drop or two of tea tree or lavender oil in the softener drawer. There shouldn't be any need to use napisan, i think most nappy manufacturers actively discourage this now and I'd personally be cautious using white vinegar on a daily basis if you're using any bamboo nappies as it degrades the fabric. The nappy lady's got some good articles on washing on her website regarding washing and strip washing. HTH! grin

NeedlesCuties Thu 29-Nov-12 10:22:59

Interesting advice!

Thanks all smile

Will give that a go and hopefully it'll help.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now