This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Baby really upset by cloth nappies

(22 Posts)
KnittingSnowMum Wed 05-Dec-12 20:56:36

I started using cloth nappies on DS1 when he was 1 yr old, and used them until he potty trained at 2.8. Started DS2 in them as soon as he got home from hospital, so don't worry, there is no too early or too late! He might just be uncomfortable - try as many different types as you can and see what suits him. I got little lamb ones for DS2 which looked gorgeous, but just chaffed him on his thighs. Ended up with Pop-ins, which I can rave about endlessly. If you get a variety second hand, you can see what suits your baby and then buy more.

lolajane2009 Wed 05-Dec-12 20:47:04

its not too late. edward started at 3mths when he reached 8lbs (bumgenius are 8lb plus in OSFA). maybe you could try a nappy like the g nappy which is more like a disposable?

NAR4 Wed 05-Dec-12 14:05:45

I used Terries nappies from about 2 months (they were really bulky when folded for a smaller baby) and Muslim from newborn because they fold nice and small with no bulk. I might be the bulkiness that your son doesn't like, rather than the feel of them.

Like many others on here I would def recommend fleece liners as they are soft against the skin and draw moisture away. Cheapest to buy some fleece from a material shop and simply cut the strips you need to whatever size you want. No sewing required as fleece doesn't run.

RainbowsFriend Tue 27-Nov-12 22:23:53

Hmmm I feel I may struggle with the potty training as DD really doesn't give too hoots about being wet...

SamSmalaidh Tue 27-Nov-12 22:10:32

Funnily enough, he has never really suffered nappy rash - he just doesn't like being wet. Made potty training easy (and early) as unlike many toddlers he didn't like wet pants either.

RainbowsFriend Tue 27-Nov-12 22:08:22

Ah well - he must have a sensitive bottom poor lad grin

RillaBlythe Tue 27-Nov-12 22:04:33

No linr until solids here. Began cloth around 6 weeks.

SamSmalaidh Tue 27-Nov-12 22:00:20

Yep, disposable liners, then no liners, then someone suggested fleece. Still have a huge, unused roll of paper liners hmm

RainbowsFriend Tue 27-Nov-12 21:58:22

aaawww poor boy. genuine question though - did you actually try no liner though?

SamSmalaidh Tue 27-Nov-12 21:45:23

DS cared grin cried for a new nappy every time he did a wee for the first few weeks until we changed from disposable liners to fleece.

RainbowsFriend Tue 27-Nov-12 21:43:12

Babies generally don't care if it's wet though. They will care if it's scratchy like a paper liner.

Also, contrary to what a lot of people think due to manufacturers of disposals advertising - Wet against the skin doesn't cause nappy rash either - nappy rash is caused by bacteria (normally from poo) breaks down the urea in urine into ammonia and happens whether the wee is behind a fleece liner or not, and is prevented by not leaving them in a poo-ey nappy smile

YouBrokeMySmoulder Tue 27-Nov-12 21:39:57

It could be a tightness around the stomach as well. Or legs?

SamSmalaidh Tue 27-Nov-12 21:38:40

DS's nappy was wet against his skin if we didn't use fleece.

I haven't used bambino mio nappies, but coolababy are good for cheap, non-bulky nappies.

RainbowsFriend Tue 27-Nov-12 21:30:20

Actually I would say with non-weaned poo you don't need a liner at all - no point, and it's only going to wrinkle up a bit.

DD only started in cloth at 10 weeks, and still is in cloth at 17 months smile

teachertrainer80 Tue 27-Nov-12 21:28:28

will try fleece liners but he was upset even by the dry ones so could do with less bulky nappy. thanks for advice all.

YouBrokeMySmoulder Tue 27-Nov-12 21:27:59

Am sure its not too late but yes agree with a fleece liner or maybe a staydry type that wicks away from the skin. I dont know how different theynfeel though.

For any lurkers the motherease were fine with newborn poo most of the time!

I think officially they are from 8lb.

SamSmalaidh Tue 27-Nov-12 21:24:38

Definitely get some fleece liners so they stay dry.

teachertrainer80 Tue 27-Nov-12 21:20:19

ps. do they have to be 10lb for real nappies? ds was only 10lb at 8 wks so couldn't have started earlier if this is the case...

GwennieF Tue 27-Nov-12 21:17:43

Have you tried using a fleece liner - it'll feel dry next to his skin...

teachertrainer80 Tue 27-Nov-12 21:15:30

hmmm...that's annoying if we have left it too late. wanted him to be out of
bowel movement after each feed newborn phase before using them. is it too late?

YouBrokeMySmoulder Tue 27-Nov-12 20:55:35

I reckon 10 weeks is quite late tbh, we started with motherease one sizes way back when as soon as they got to 10lb which for dd was about a week. Sigh.

teachertrainer80 Tue 27-Nov-12 20:53:30

Tried 10 week old DS on real nappies today and he has been really upset, crying constantly, disrupted feeding/ sleeping pattern etc. It started when I changed him into cloth nappy at 11 am as before that he was in a chirpy mood. Changed nappy about 4 times until 7 pm when I gave up and reverted to usual biodegradeable disposable. Reusables were Bambino Mio two piece with liner. Really want to use real nappies but not if they make DS miserable (and me miserable....). As soon as I put disposable on he brightened up and has been back to normal since so it must have been the nappy upsetting him.
They seem quite bulky and despite liner seemed constantly damp...

Should I wait til he's a bit older? Any advice appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now