This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nappy Chat #2 - from Teenies to Tuttos and all in between!

(1000 Posts)
PurplePidjin Mon 26-Nov-12 12:16:46

We're running out of room shock

PurplePidjin Wed 06-Feb-13 19:40:01

Tonight we're in a lollipop (fleece lined) then a doubled hemp then a bamboo (i think? Might be microterry? Looks like shiny terry!) and my best nature babies. Here goes.

Realeasies popper to different sizes on the legs and waist, so you gave 3 settings for each and can pretty much use any one. They're nothing like my Alvas, which are just small-scale pockets? There's room for boosting in the Realeasies too, which I like.

PurplePidjin Thu 07-Feb-13 03:13:01

Nope, changed after 6 and a bit hours. Sodden, at least at the front. Oh, and we appear to be awake for the day at 1:50am after 6 hours sleep. WTAF.

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 07-Feb-13 12:55:34

Oh no Pidj - hope you did get back to sleep.

We had a nappy fail last night too. Bumble with doubled over hemp booster has been working well (bulky though) but at 3am- wet all one one side. Then I ends hostelry ing to popper up a real easy in the dark. I think the leak was from using a blueberry cover rather than an airflow or one life - they are a bit looser but the blueberry sort of poppers on tightly iykwim? Bamboozle stretchy going to be tested tonight...

BFG I have wicking with my Miosolo AIOs and Alvas unless I use 2x bamboo + mf inserts which leaves DD with a huge bum - and even then I have to change her after max 2 -2.5 hrs or her legs are wet. It's ok for out & about but I always prefer fitteds, never get wicking with those. Or, touch wood, with the Real Easys - my 18 mo is in a large and they are great on her. Agree with PP, they're nothing like the Alvas they have a huge pocket, better adjustable poppers, a flap-out cotton booster and clever gusset round legs. Would def recommend.

NappyHappy where did you win your Close Parent pop ins?! What a bargain - have they arrived yet? I've never tried ittis, they do look pretty though.

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 07-Feb-13 12:57:23

'Then I ends up hostelry ing' ?'

I think it was meant to be 'I ended up struggling'

Curse you autocorrect.

PurplePidjin Thu 07-Feb-13 13:02:05

Yeah, another 2.5 hours shock and he's been asleep in the sling for nearly 3 hours <thud>

I'm about to start KFC's hat. I got Hayfield Bonus Chunky in shade 0787 - a gorgeous reddish raspberry pink. I did Yoda in it recently (in green) and it works up really nicely smile

Think I'm going to give up the hunt for an all night nappy till he's sleeping through. Wetness doesn't wake him, it just prevents him settling back to sleep. I'll change him when he wakes at about 1/2ish then again in the morning and hopefully get just the one night feed <crosses fingers, toes etc>

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 07-Feb-13 13:06:19

I'm sure you'll be really encouraged to hear that DD has never slept through and still has several feeds a night grin good luck !

PurplePidjin Thu 07-Feb-13 13:29:51

8-2 and 3-6 seems achievable from previous indications... Not sure if that's sleeping through or not though!

NappyHappy Thu 07-Feb-13 13:46:03

Yeah, that's in my book sleeping through. ds2 started sleeping through at 1yr.

Ds3 sleeps 9.30/10 til 1 then 1.30-5 then 5.30 til 7.30/8ish. Not too bad I think!

I got the Pop Ins off EBay and got a free one with a Charlie Nana and Smart I pants off the council.

I'm currently strip washing. Yellow baby poop still remains but I'll them with soap when I wash the Ittis. Using that sample I'm testing and no smells! I'll tumble dry the bamboo stuff and if that doesn't bring out the smell then I'll be buying this stuff whatever it is! I'd saved the Antibiotic nappies (gave up on the sposies) for this experiment.

NappyHappy Thu 07-Feb-13 14:00:44

Major nappy fail. Put the second load in without cold rinsing. shock

LeBFG Thu 07-Feb-13 14:08:19

If I buy any more nappies for DS (reluctant as hoping he'll start PT soon), I'll definately try the Realeasys. I've given up night nappies too Pidj - ho hum. There was a time though it worked really well. Babies really do start peeing less frequently at night as they get older....except of course when they get really big and then they pee only once or twice but there is still a lot of pee iyswim (not sure I do!).

Yeah, sleeping was always an issue here too. By 12m, DS was waking up once for a quick feed but went straight back to sleep - this was completely managable. I counted this as sleeping through too grin.

Interested to know the results of the strip wash NH.

PurplePidjin Thu 07-Feb-13 14:13:50

I just put mine in on a 40* wash with a trace of powder (1h20m) am i doing it wrong? They don't smell...

NappyHappy Thu 07-Feb-13 15:02:03

My bamboo is very well loved and old Pidj and teething wee mixed with normal food poo makes it honk (I use lots of onions and garlic). I don't think it needs to be done with pockets as its not absorb ant material.

The first lot came out really clean and the colours haven't ran or faded, I just chuck it all in, CBA sorting it all out covered in organic matter grin

How many weeks have you got left BFG? Today has gone so fast, got to pick up ds1 in 10mins.

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 07-Feb-13 17:56:25

Oh well, if 'sleeping through' doesn't actually mean not waking, then she's not that bad! Wakes a couple of times a night but back to sleep quickly with a feed and cuddle.

BFG Babykind have real easies in small and extra small for £6ish at the mo.. Just in case you wanted more newborn nappies! Think the market stall sounds a good idea too, hope you manage to convince your dh.

Mhmmm NH your nappies must be lovely! grin what is it you're testing, is it some kind of sanitiser stuff?

Is it really sad that I'm quite excited about trying the bamboozle stretchy tonight? Think I'll stick a hemp booster in just in case. Even though she doesn't wee that much at night at the mo. thinking of getting a potty actually to see what she makes of it - she is seeing less at night (mega wee in the morning) and less frequently in the day. NH, KFC, BFG, VQ - How old have your dcs been when they potty trained?

NappyHappy Thu 07-Feb-13 19:46:08

Biscuit, if I could've bottled the odour and worn it I would've attracted cats from all over. grin

However they are whiff free and very clean. It was strip wash powder. When I find d out what it is I'll let you know wink

DS1 was 2.5 when dry day and night, took about 2 weeks in the Summer. I did try a few months earlier but it didn't work.

But, I have heard that cloth bums pt earlier. smile

The faggy smelling nappies have just been washed, that poor machine has been on all day. blush

NappyHappy Thu 07-Feb-13 19:47:38

PS you could stick stickers on the potty each time she uses it or have a little sticker chart for each time?

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 07-Feb-13 20:03:52

I'm thinking for now I might just get a potty to have in the bathroom for her to get used to, maybe try and catch the morning mega-wee and try it before bath too. This eve she stood up in the bath and did a lovely big one just after I put her in. Nice. She looked down at it, all 'oh what's that'?! Not planning to seriously PT yet (not willing to give up my lovely fluff yet!) - prob wait til summer - but thought it might be worth getting a potty to see what she makes of it...

NappyHappy Thu 07-Feb-13 21:20:34

Definitely. I had a poo trod into carpet incident last night. Oh joy.

Just waiting for wriggle piggle to go to sleep then I'll be off. I've put the humidifier on ready for him.

Summer is a fab time to start pt.

LeBFG Fri 08-Feb-13 11:03:09

I'm waiting for spring/summer too to PT DS. He's nearly 2yo now. He grabs his crotch when he's had a pee and goes 'phisshh' in the morning when he has filled his pants. He knows what to do with the potty but won't sit in it very long when his trousers are off hmm. SO for the moment, we're sticking to nappies.

I'm 35w - I wonder how MrsR is getting on? She was a couple of weeks ahead of me. Feeling more and more positive now the end is not too far off grin.

Gagging at thought of garlicky poos envy.

NappyHappy Fri 08-Feb-13 14:49:10

He sounds so cute BFG, 35weeks and counting!! Exciting!

I've had to deal with sultana poo today, boak.

How was the leak situation last night PP?

rrreow Fri 08-Feb-13 15:56:58

Ooh I've noticed my DS doing the crotch grabbing too, I didn't realise it was wee related! (Just thought it was a boy thing.. takes after DH hmm) His language/communication isn't great, so I'm not sure he'll be ready for potty training any time soon. Whenever I ask him if he's done a poo he takes ages to think and answer, and then always says yes (even if he hasn't).

NappyHappy when DS didn't have molars yet I used to use kitchen scissors to painstakingly make a cut into each and every raisin to avoid raising poo.. ! Raisin poo is awful, as is taking all nappies out of the washer, hanging them up and then finding a clean washed whole raisin in the laundry basket!

NappyHappy Fri 08-Feb-13 16:00:34

grin grin grin rreow, and Blueberry skins in the washer! Barf. I had the shake all the raisins out of his nappy. confused

PurplePidjin Fri 08-Feb-13 18:23:49

No advice re: potty training I'm afraid, sorry

Last night was tricky because we've got our first coldsadbut he slept 12-4 then change (i was at work so not sure how long the easyfit lasted!) and feed and he slept 5-7. Not bad considering the throat I've got!! Previous night was also good, changed at first feed.

Tonight he's in a lollipop bamboo, doubled booster and...

Drum roll please...

Fleece sleepsuit!!

We shall see hmm

NappyHappy Fri 08-Feb-13 20:14:35

That's sounding promising! Colds though uh oh. Olbas Oil city! How did work go?

I've got DS2 in a Pop In tonight with an extra booster in. He's in a fleece sleep suit too! Greedy sod had eaten loads today, after his tea he ate ds1's then had fruit and a cereal bar after then 9oz of full fat!

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Fri 08-Feb-13 22:04:57

Laughing at the raisin poo.... And the raisin that survived the wash!

We had nappy success last night with bamboozle stretchy + double folded hemp booster + fleece liner + onelife wrap. Lasted the full 12 hours and less bulky than the bumble, also no need for a nappy nippa - I didn't really like the thought of it somehow coming loose. Going for same combo tonight.

Nappy library plans are continuing I'm meeting people from real nappies for London and another London nappy organisation in the next few weeks to discuss organising / funding it. Quite excited! KFC how is the sling library coming along?

PurplePidjin Sat 09-Feb-13 00:56:18

Work was cool, i drink tea, chat to teenagers and play the guitar so it's not exactly onerous!!

Nappy change here, not too bad but an earlier waking than usual. We'll see how it is by morning...

I'm doing a library too, Biscuit, but piggybacked onto my local laundry iyswim. If i don't get the job I'm interviewing for on Tuesday but that's a real wildcard so highly unlikely to go anywhere

This thread is not accepting new messages.