Webchat with Tristram Hunt, Labour education shadow, MONDAY 27 April at 12 midday ×

This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nappy Chat #2 - from Teenies to Tuttos and all in between!

(1000 Posts)
PurplePidjin Mon 26-Nov-12 12:16:46

We're running out of room shock

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Tue 05-Feb-13 09:07:45

Wow lots happening - KFC so glad the op went well - hope you are not snowed in, its the kind of thing I thinking would love to happen big is rathe impractical in real life... Do you have a sleigh & some huskies?! <totally unhelpful>

Reeow are you me?! I just sold some MioSolos and bought bamboozles - they are in themachine now on their 8th (?) pre wash - going to use as night nappies so want maximum absorbency.

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Tue 05-Feb-13 09:08:24

Crap spelling! Sorry feeding wriggly DD...

rrreow Tue 05-Feb-13 12:00:17

BiscuitCrumbsInBed We could be evil twins grin I pre-washed mine 3 times and am using them as day nappies right now until they have the absorbency for nighttime. Am feeling slight trepidation though as been using Pampers for nighttime forever now.

I just got some Eco Sprout after someone mentioned it on here. Just soaked all my AIOs in it overnight (2 parters are next) as per their instructions. Has anyone else used it?

PurplePidjin Tue 05-Feb-13 13:12:34

Yay fluffy post! Thanks nh thanks can't wait to try them tonight grin

I have 4 Alvas i can't get a good leg fit on - minky transport, 2 minky dinos and a pale blue pul. Anyone fancy swapsies for something else?

NappyHappy Tue 05-Feb-13 16:43:27

I hope they work for you, I'm going yo sell the rest. the Bambooty arrived this morning and are waaaaaay too small so put back up on EBay and NW CBM. Grr.

I'll have to look up Eco Sprout.

Both babies slept through til 7.30am and I still woke lots and checked on them wondering why they didn't wake. Bet they'll both wake tonight!

NappyHappy Tue 05-Feb-13 17:02:32

Meant to add PP, I fold the booster flap over 3 times and put that in the firing line.

Just won some of those Close Parent pop ins, £26 for 8.

PurplePidjin Tue 05-Feb-13 18:06:29

Right, night nappy on early due to poonami. Booster doubled at business end, microfibre nicked from an Alva, and fleece liner. We shall see! I've been through my fitteds i was going to sell and found another tb, a ll and a lollipop bamboo. They're a bit stiff but if this works I'll try and sort that ready for night use. Any suggestions?

Also, fleece as an outer - what do i need to know?

NH I have found Bambooty to be on the snug side, which is great for me of course as they good first nappies for a teeny squisher, but not surprised that they don't work so well for others. I have the size small and she's already growing out of them at about 10lb.

Pidj that will be lovely thankyou! There are some good wahms here that do hats etc but I couldn't find any I like and your ones are super cute thanks

NappyHappy Tue 05-Feb-13 19:44:34

How you've wrapped the 'nap including how you've boosted it is how I do it. I have found though that there is some slight leakage in the morning with fleece wraps from being lay in the same position all night. But I still use it!

I hope it works better for you.

NappyHappy Tue 05-Feb-13 19:45:55

KFC, they're really cute sad my fault. Hopefully I can resell them!

NappyHappy Tue 05-Feb-13 19:46:14

PS how is squish BTW?

PurplePidjin Tue 05-Feb-13 19:49:49

blush KFC thanks i like woolly hats but don't like all the super twee fancificated stuff that's around atm. Yours will be the first non-natural colour I've done!

He's in a Cottonbottoms brights tonight, just pondering either making some or using a couple of cheap sleepsuits I've got as jammies. Can you use a sleeping bag over? Cotton babygrow under?

PurplePidjin Tue 05-Feb-13 20:06:12

www.adventuresinfluff.com/2011/10/how-to-sew-your-own-fleece-or-wool.html

Easy. I'm wondering about double layering the whole thing though, instead of pissing about with a wet zone? (pun intended)

NappyHappy Tue 05-Feb-13 20:51:51

Yep. I've always used sleeping bags over cotton sleep suits. I don't bother with the sleeping bag if in a fleece sleep suit.

I love sleeping bags, baby was wrapped in a blanket last night and by the morning he had kicked it over his face.

I put the humidifier on for his cough too and its helped. It was very muggy in my bedroom this morning!

PurplePidjin Wed 06-Feb-13 06:19:38

Nappy fail again. Been awake feeding since 4 cos i missed it even though i checked 3 times. All that and the nappy was dripping by 6am!! How do people do it?

And how do i make him sleep?

NappyHappy Wed 06-Feb-13 09:39:38

He sure is super piddler! Do you think a pref old over the top might help? I had an out the legs fail last night too, I didn't put the wrap on tight enough.

Wonder if you drinking Camomile tea would help him sleep, or him drinking it? Or Lavender sleep Balm massaged in his temples?

Are you OK?

rrreow Wed 06-Feb-13 10:20:42

PurplePidjin would this link from the nappy lady help? Scroll down for a video on using boosters and boosting effectively for nighttime (in short it's a two part nappy with the booster between the inner and the outer (rather than inside the inner as that might cause leaks)). Good luck, I'm sure you'll figure it out at some point.

PurplePidjin Wed 06-Feb-13 12:36:21

Yeah, I'll try it outside tonight. Wrap was on tight but think it wicked out the legs. I don't know if I will figure it out I'm losing brain cells rapidly

Chamomile tea <boak> but worth a try. No not really

LeBFG Wed 06-Feb-13 13:09:33

I've been using my new Alvas - I have two versions (v2 and v3) and I like the fit on v3...however, does anyone find that these AIO style nappies commonly leak/wick between the legs? (I'm used to fitteds which do leak eventually of course but only when saturated). I've stuffed one nappy with my giant super booster from Nappy Lady and it goes 3 hours but not that much longer sad. Perhaps I should try some hemp boosters?

PurplePidjin Wed 06-Feb-13 13:46:15

I've found it with mine too BFG thought it was me. My bigger pockets are fine, the lovely slimline Alvas leak. I assumed I'd got the boosting wrong, a bamboo on top of a mf which with hindsight should be the other way up. My hemp jersey works well but is too long so has to be doubled at the business end which can cause gape issues. I'm getting to CBA point with them!

LeBFG Wed 06-Feb-13 15:04:16

It's not a big problem Pidj - I had a much worse problem with the Itti Bittis - they were frankly unusable. The v3 Alva is wider in the crotch actually and bigger all round. Perhaps you have the v2? I suppose I would like something as bomb proof as fitteds or my Wizard Duo because, let's face it, AIOs are more convenient and slimline.

How do those fleecey soakers work? Are they water proof???

NappyHappy Wed 06-Feb-13 15:33:08

Mine leak round the legs too after a couple of hours. Stuffed with the insert and a bamboo booster crutch side up.

BFG, what did you think of the Ittis? Can they be used at night? Mine arrived today b t they need washing as smell a bit faggy. 2 are still in the wrapper!

PurplePidjin Wed 06-Feb-13 16:39:08

That's how i was doing it, nh, will try bamboo down and see if it helps, if not I'll sell them. Glad it's not just me being crap!

Fleece wicks moisture so the water evaporates leaving the weewee nasties behind. I'm going to ask cbm for opinions before i start sewing.

Realeasy by hiphip baby are bombproof for me, as are easyfits. Wish i could afford more and be in them full time!!

NappyHappy Wed 06-Feb-13 19:00:00

Let's hope tonights boosting experiments work.

I got my strip wash sample off the Nappy Lady today so shall start on the task in a min.

Camomile tea is rather vommy, anything is worth a try. I've always used homeopathy and herbal remedies with the babies, the lentil weaver side wink

Sending 'baby sleep better' vibes to all.

LeBFG Wed 06-Feb-13 19:02:53

Sorry NH I really didn't get on with the Ittis, gorgeous though they were. They wouldn't go longer than 2 hours in the day so I never tried them at night. The soaker just didn't seem to soak up very much and because the fit is meant to be tight I couldn't bulk them up and the soakers would squeeze wee out the sides....Their website says the fit is of paramount importance so perhaps DS was just the wrong shape (narrow legs and waist).

I wonder if the Realeasys work better because of the gusset Pidj? The design doesn't look that different to the Alvas.

This thread is not accepting new messages.