Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Nappy Chat #2 - from Teenies to Tuttos and all in between!

(1000 Posts)
PurplePidjin Mon 26-Nov-12 12:16:46

We're running out of room shock

Notgrownupinmyhead Thu 29-Nov-12 07:46:27

Yep. Cholton and Disbury trendy mums use the Sure Start here. Those are the ones I mentioned earlier. wink where are you from bfg??

The stage of pg you're at is the bit I liked most. It was the last month that killed me.

Sounds like the basket thang is working. I had to get boy 3 to get used to it soon as with me having to sort the other beasties out. He looks way bigger than his birth weight. Did you get the Nippas?

Its -3 out this morning. Joy.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 29-Nov-12 09:04:23

-3? Yikes!

Yes, sorry, they came yesterday. Very much appreciated, just need my rikkis to arrive now! thanks

Off to get PidjChick made all official in a minute grin

Notgrownupinmyhead Thu 29-Nov-12 10:53:08

grin

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 29-Nov-12 14:18:45

Slightly delayed response to some of the chat, but I'm 30 (was 29 when baby biscuit was born) and I was the youngest in my nct group - so notgrown you are def not old! I'm in trendy lefty north London grin but there aren't as many fluffy bums around as you might think - lots of bugaboos though! (Including mine blush ) I think mums in London seem to be older than other places, people I know back in Wales seem to have kids younger.

What is all this about a cock stabbing knife?! PP have the new-mummy hormones / lack of sleep driven you over the edge?!

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 29-Nov-12 15:29:06

It's not mine shock

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 29-Nov-12 17:29:36

Oops sorry just re-read post - sorry! blush

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 29-Nov-12 17:50:08

wink DP is fab, i wouldn't take one if you paid me!

Notgrownupinmyhead Thu 29-Nov-12 17:56:40

Ha ha biscuit grin
They've all got those carriage style prams round here with white whicker baskets on or the big German ones. Mines a double decker double thing which confusses people when they hear a new baby and see a one yr old. I have to tell them hes underneath shockenvybiscuit ooh look at these new emoticons!!

Everything has gone super tits up today. Grr.

I envy Wales.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 29-Nov-12 19:24:11

Bfing group contained 7 Maxi Cosi Pebbles plus ds in the stretchy hmm

3 mums went away with sling meet details scribbled down grin

<packs soap box into changing bag>

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 29-Nov-12 21:16:53

I think there is nothing much else to do in Wales... grin
A pram with a wicker basket on?! Sounds like something from Mary Poppins, can't be very practical? V impressed by your fluff & sling evangelism PP, I am trying to convince pregnant SIL of the benefits of fluff! And if another baby comes along I will def be looking into slings, we had a borrowed baby bjorn and I never got on with it. The stretchy wrap ones look much cosier and more comfy.

Btw, DD's red bum is clearing up nicely with sudocrem for now, I didn't get round to trying the egg White. I did google it and found some comments that it wasnt recommended for under 1s just in case they have an egg allergy. Thought I'd share in case any one else is thinking of trying it.

How are things in Scotland VQ you've gone quiet? V busy I imagine, hope all ok!

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 29-Nov-12 21:52:29

Baby bjorn and the ilk are shit, known as "crotch danglers" because of how the don't support the baby. You want to keep his legs in a W shape, the same as how they go when you splodge them on your chest smile

Notgrownupinmyhead Thu 29-Nov-12 22:11:12

He he the frog position smile

Wales has sheep wink

And Rugby and the Pot Noodle Factory (so Ive been told)

Ive not seen any slings round ere either...

Give it up, give it up for the easy crew la la la la la....

Erm, I think the wicker things are Senator 3 in 1 wicker and leatherette. You'll have to Google the image.

Pram charms/clips are a big thing amongst the younger mums round here too.

LeBFG Sat 01-Dec-12 09:35:06

What does everyone do for newborn sleeping arrangements? I'm in my usual paralysed state when I have to buy something <stingy>. I've just realised I don't have anything other than a large cot for future DD. I don't fancy getting up and heaving her in/out of cot every 30 minutes in the early days...but a little bit reluctant to do co-sleeping like I did last time. Even then, DS started out the evening in a little homemade cot thing (borrowed and totally crap).

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Sat 01-Dec-12 10:18:41

Moses basket downstairs (£5 at nearly new sale) and my old crib in our bedroom. Could probably manage with just the moses, tbh smile

ValiumQueen Sat 01-Dec-12 10:43:55

BFG nowt wrong with sticking them in a drawer. DS is co-sleeping at the moment, not through choice, but I am loving it really. He has a Moses basket (99p) and has been known to sleep in his PnT Coccoon. In the day he mostly sleeps on his (very safe) changing mat.

Both girls have been ill, and just coming out the other side. DS has a horrid cold with bunged up nose and phlegm at the back of his throat resulting in a cough.

I am 43 and older than some of the grandmothers at the school gate. We live in a small village not far from Stirling, and there is a posh bit and a deprived bit with lots of drugs and alcohol problems. All the kids mix at school which makes for some interesting situations. There is one mega posh lady who has a icandy pram, with 'Peytons carriage' written on the side, and lots of poncy pram charms, and the poor little sod has a hairband.

LeBFG Sat 01-Dec-12 12:47:27

That's what DH says I should VQ grin. I think I'll try and get a moses basket, though not in France cos they're sodding dear here. I think newborns sleep better in those cosier, enclosed things. Pour J - rotten having a cold so young. Hope he gets over it soon.

Funny, around these parts it's really aspirational to have things like mega-expensive prams. All the new mums have them (600-1000 euros no less shock) even when they're earning pitance which I find quite sad (I feel sorry they feel they have to spend that much). Then I career around in second hand nearly all the time...I definately get the look-down-nose response. All good to challenge stereotypes and the status quo. I felt like that when I bf too - lots of interest and questions. The only other public bfer was a hippie selling goats' cheese on the market. My elderly neighbour was disgusted and shuddered at the thought of being served the cheese smothered in bm grin.

Notgrownupinmyhead Sat 01-Dec-12 19:54:05

Daves got boy2's moses basket with a lambskin in. I shrank it though. Dick. In the day he sleeps in a travel cot downstairs. Again was boy2's. and that'll be in the back garden in the Summer.

All his clothes were boy2's and the buggy is a Hauck Duette which cost £340 with the carseat. It looks like a Britax B/Dual but I couldn't afford it.

I shudder at Goats Cheese shockBFG. You are the French un-lentil weaver grin

VQ are you OK? What a carry on you've had over the past couple if months with bugs and shit.

I watched a documentary with Ross Kemp is Glasgow and the drink problem there. Wow. I used to live in Eccles in Manc and that was just as bad but mixed with E heads and the rest. I think its in every town/city over here though now.

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Mon 03-Dec-12 13:10:41

I saw a pram with a personalised number plate with the baby's name! Seriously. It was attached to the basket underneath. Why, why?! Havent spotted any pram charms yet... BFG I can't believe the French are so anti bf, its so sad. hmmm maybe your neighbour thought the hippy was actually making cheese from breast milk...! There was an ice cream shop in London that apparently made ice cream from breast milk in the summer, it was in the news, I'm pretty sure it got stopped, need to have a google and find out what happened to it.

Dd slept in Moses basket for about 6 weeks, she slept ok in there, it was nice and cosy, and in her pram usually or on my lap inthe day. She never slept well in the cot and we were co sleeping every night by about 4 months in. She is feeding and snoozing on my lap now grin

LeBFG Mon 03-Dec-12 15:42:24

Ahh, a well behaved little biscuit. I think I'll get DH to see if he can fix our cot to the side of the bed a bit. I've never seen how it really is co-sleeping tbh - you are sharing the same bed-space I suppose but the baby isn't near your warmth. I've pretty much decided on getting a moses basket. I'll have to get it sent from the UK - courrier service is 15 quid plus 40/50 quid for the basket. Cheaper than buying and delivering within France - crazy.

Any ideas of solidifying up poo? DS does sticky splats. I'm poo-hardy but I wish they were easy roll-offs. Save me a bit of swearing in the loo.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Mon 03-Dec-12 18:47:05

My health visitor used cloth grin so much for all the "hv's are the enemy" stuff, round here they're fab!

My rikkis arrived today, he now has a panda bum and will later have a jungle bum and then an ocean bum. They're a bit big but I'm hoping they're as bomb proof as I've heard as my minky Alvas have been compression wicking in the crotch (time to move on from Tiny Baby sized vests, hurrah!)

BFG, do you want a moses basket ffp in a few months? I bought it a new mattress but he hardland iirc you're due in April? So chances are we'll have finished with it by then...

ValiumQueen Mon 03-Dec-12 21:05:55

J been in hospital with bronchiolitis. Still not well. Worried mummy. Should start getting better from tomorrow.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Mon 03-Dec-12 21:15:03

<<<hug>>> VQ thanks&brew

ValiumQueen Mon 03-Dec-12 21:30:25

Thank you. He is asleep in his cot though, which is a bonus. Muggins is on the floor next to him. He has his movement monitor but I have to be near him. Sometimes he sounds so peaceful, then the cough starts and you think he is going to expire. Anyway must sleep as he is.

Notgrownupinmyhead Mon 03-Dec-12 22:00:33

envy To J VQ and wine for you. What next?? Hope you'll both be back to good health soon.

Our HV is great too. Just some of them are a bit grr.

Dave seems to be either having some form if sleep regression or the patterns are changing again. Hes just fussy when I put him down to sleep. Started yesterday.

Im going to get him some more nappies for Xmas. Is that daft? Hes too young for much else.

Notgrownupinmyhead Mon 03-Dec-12 23:38:19

I remember the BM ice cream biscuit. Funny.

I had the get a new Xmas tree just now, the other one wouldn't stand up properly even with added parcel tape.

Thank chuff for online shopping!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.