Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Nappy Chat #2 - from Teenies to Tuttos and all in between!

(1000 Posts)
PurplePidjin Mon 26-Nov-12 12:16:46

We're running out of room shock

PurplePidjin Wed 16-Jan-13 02:40:20

I already live in Royston Vasey... Well it feels like it sometimes!

NappyHappy Wed 16-Jan-13 09:11:08

Excellent. It was very Royston in Leigh where I lived before here. LoG is great.
Even though I've been awake for a while I'm not with bit at all.

Well I got to sleep at 6 this morning and the hv is coming in an hour hmm I had to get one of my neighbours to drive us to school cos I slept in. Dh isnt working til 6 so once he gets up I'm going to bed and he can look after them all. He gets a lift anyway. Every now and then the lack of sleep catches up with me and I have to sleep or I'll burn out sad

LeBFG Wed 16-Jan-13 11:17:15

I'm quite anti-social too <joins club>. But it's amazing how living in an isolated place suddenly makes you desire company. That's why I'm fed up at the minute. I normally get in the car and visit people regularly...now I wait for them to come to me. It isn't the same.

Strange idea KFC, growing strawberries under cover. I'm from the SW orginally so we always had pick-your-own outdoor places everywhere. Strawberries grow well here. I bet you get great spuds and blueberries and greens for that matter. I grow tomatoes and peppers outdoors which is great fun. I think you would struggle anywhere in the UK to do that. But as you say, life can seem great to others who haven't lived it - lots of expats move away because they hate the isolated/rural nature of it all. We are 1.5hrs from Toulouse so ZERO culture - a great shame for me (DH is not bothered). Perhaps one day we'll move again. We loved Norfolk and I love Devon/SW of course.

We really don't get the weather for strawberries grin all the farms that grow them near us have them under tunnels. I keep them in the greenhouse as its quite windy here most of the time and I've found that ruins the plants. We tried them in the garden when we first moved in and the crop was practically non existent. Also the dog has been known to dig up our plants and eat anything that is above ground grin she really is a pita

And yes we do get cracking spuds. Not tried growing blueberries though. We have cabbages which do quite well too, and luckily the dog doesnt like them so much grin

PurplePidjin Thu 17-Jan-13 20:44:22

Nappy birthday, NH thanks

MrsReiver Thu 17-Jan-13 21:27:03

We don't really fit in where we live, and I'm treated as something of an oddity at the school gates. Folk are friendly enough, but you can see them get that look on their face when I tell them I'd rather spend a Friday night playing Dragon Age chatting up a seriously hot elf than going out getting blootered.

My wee notions arrived - it is absolutely gorge, I'll put a photo on my profile!

MrsR when you do remember to make your profile public. I don't do drunk either. It's pointless. Most people my age are into that though so I don't have many friends. I don't care, I still go out to the pub (where dh works) on occasion and just listen to the band that's on and chat to whoever is in at the time. I don't exactly fit in here either. None of the other mums have (visible) tats and piercings though I bet a few have them somewhere. They don't ignore me though. I think they all think I'm just a bit odd with my dress sense and my slings and fluff grin It's not that sort of place.

MrsReiver Thu 17-Jan-13 22:57:57

Doh!

PurplePidjin Fri 18-Jan-13 08:41:16

Fab, MrsR!

Slattern alert... Changed ds this morning, and he peed on the changemat and the outside of his day nappy. I chucked the pocket in the wash but whipped the prefold out as it was still clean and left it lying around the bed. Fed ds, passed him to dp to cuddle/play and he had a little possett. Guess what the first thing to hand to wipe his mouth was blush

NappyHappy Fri 18-Jan-13 12:47:58

Thanks Pp. 32. Oh well.

I'm the tattooed pierced mother at the gates too KFC its quite funny. Not been drunk for about 4 years when me and DH went ton see Machine Head and even then I'd only had a few pints! Its only recently I've had a glass of wine one evening a week.

That snap in nappy is great Pidj, it fits ds3 really well and lasted til morning, is everyone having a slattern day? If you saw the state of my kitchen and living room I'd be hauled before Kim and Aggie. Last nights take out paper, pots, mugs, half a b.day cake. mmmmmm.

Just got back from baby massage and the others who were there were fascinated by the fluff on the boys.

PurplePidjin Fri 18-Jan-13 13:20:16

Wow, it didn't work at all for us! Amazing how something so adjustable can work so differently.

I'm carrying on the slattern theme, dinner tonight is cottage pie made with frozen mash blush

NappyHappy Fri 18-Jan-13 14:05:30

Its a great one, I'm thinking of selling the size 1 bamboozles as he is almost out of them and replacing them (not that they need anymore but I do!) with something similar.

We're just having Mac and cheese for tea. Sauce out of packet so more slattern-ness here too!

DS2 has been asleep in the buggy for 2 hours now its not like him at all as he likes to sleep on his front. He was however up til 11.30 last night banging his head so I was in and out of his room with him then ds3 started crying cos big bro was. Hopefully its just a habit but he really whacks himself.

How is DP getting on? And you back at work? I gave my notice in the other day but have been told I am to go back when the kids are older.

PurplePidjin Fri 18-Jan-13 14:30:33

He's ok, tired and frustrated at all the things he can't do. I'm just struggling along with things and trying to snatch 5 minutes break here and there. Can usually manage food in the boys tummies even if mine has to wait, and we all have clean clothes and dishes. Anything more will just have to wait.

I only work 4 hours a week, got made redundant a few weeks before we found out i was pregnant. As we can manage ok on one income, there was no point me trying to get a new job. Ha.

NappyHappy Fri 18-Jan-13 14:57:48

Well judging from your snow person you all seem to be getting along with it just fine grin

That's it, as long as everyone is fed, warm and has clean ish wink clothes it doesn't matter about the rest! Its only when Mother is coming round I make sure its tidy, she likes to get little digs in. Err there are 3 children in the house mother...

Nearly time to get little Mr Diva Stroppypants from school.

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Fri 18-Jan-13 19:02:54

I've been trying to post in here for days but DD has a sense for when mummy is otherwise engaged and interrupts me every time! Marking place as the thread has dropped off my 'I'm on' - will catch up & check in soon

Belated happy birthday NH! thanks

NappyHappy Fri 18-Jan-13 21:14:13

Thanks biscuit! grin

PurplePidjin Fri 18-Jan-13 21:30:36

Right, I'm determined to find a combo that'll be comfy all night. Wraps are all solid, although we don't like the rikkis, so it's the insides i need to crack. He was out-peeing fitteds at 3 weeks, and i can't boost them enough and get a good fit, so they're in the For Sale Eventually bag. Prefolds last but are sopping and uncomfortable by morning, adding fleece was slightly better. Tonight we have:

CB wrap
Large cb prefold in angel fold with nippa
Hemp booster
Fleece liner (homemade and a very pretty shade of lilac!)

I think if i get the nappies nailed I'll get two lots of 4 hours instead of a 4 and two lots of 2...

NappyHappy Fri 18-Jan-13 21:54:12

bloody 'ell. It makes me wonder how someone so small can produce so much liquid! Can you get bamboo prefolds? Have you put a folded booster over his boy bits before the pf? Do you want try one of me bamboozles?

PurplePidjin Sun 20-Jan-13 12:32:05

I need to work with what I've got due to not knowing when we'll next have a reliable income. I double a large pf at the front, wing out the back, lay in a booster and a liner and fasten round with a nippa. Does 12 hours but honks in the morning!

I've got 5 hats commissioned, though <proud> grin

LeBFG Mon 21-Jan-13 09:48:36

Hi guys. Happy bday NH (just noticed blush). Interesting tatoo and piercing stories. I have a v little tat on my shoulder but as you can't see it most of the time I don't think it really counts.

Pidj and chick's weeing. Incredible. I think it must be a phase. I bet if you tried sposies, they wouldn't last either. No useful suggestions. Just change frequently and hope it passes.

I'm still pregnant and gearing up for an afternoon at the hospital for scans etc. So pleased to have made it to today - when I booked the appointments months ago I didn't dare believe I would make it - it's the same gestation I gave birth first time around.

Been trying the Alva nappy. I stuff with 2 LL boosters and it lasts 3/4 hours. I love the length and it's quite slim fitting. It's definately better than the Itti bittis. I think it's an old design though as there aren't any leg adjusters. What do you guys stuff these nappies with? <stuffer virgin>

PurplePidjin Mon 21-Jan-13 10:00:37

I've had him in the pf combo for up to 12 hours, so will stick with it for now. I change every 4 hours or so during the day, just cba at 4am if i can help it blush

Dp did a poo change this morning while i dozed. Popped a transport alva on, did it up beautifully... Except i normally prep the nappies in advance. Turns out they don't work without boosters, who knew? hmm

Hooray for still pregnant! legs Fingers firmly crossed you stay that way for a while thanks

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Mon 21-Jan-13 11:52:14

Pidj, I'm cracking up at your DH putting Pidjchick in a nappy with no stuffing (sorry!) How is DH doing? Hope he's ok.

BFG hurrah for baby still being safe and cosy on the inside! How many weeks are you now?

I've no tattoos and just the one piercing in each ear - I also don't live inthe middle of nowhere <clearly doesn't fit in, considers leaving thread> grin in fact I live 2 mins walkfrom the arsenal stadium and as I was reading about everyone growing veg etc the other night, I could hear the crowd cheering during a match! One night when DD was tiny in the summer her bedroom window was open I heard the cheering through the baby monitor which was hilarious. I love being in the city but I grew up by the sea and I do miss seeing the sea. You get a sense of space... <nostalgic>

DD is having a surprise nap, I want her to wake up so we canto and play in the snow!

Re Alvas, if I use the mf insert they come with + a LL bamboo folded double in the main wee area, they last about 2 hours. BFG and NH do you use the microfibre at all? Maybe I should just use 2 bamboos. My new hemp boosters came today from Easy Peasy. Hemp recommended as more absorbent than bamboo by people on FB. Going to prewash & then I'll be ready to try my Bambeasy at night.

Does well-used bambboo look just like Terry cotton? My second hand Bambeasies look just like the cotton Bumbles and seemed to dry in the same time confused which isaking me wonder whether they'll be any more absorbent at all?? Should I treat myself to a bamboozle stretchy (if the nappy lady still has them on offer) to try out?? Hmmm.

PurplePidjin Mon 21-Jan-13 14:02:18

He's doing fine, just frustrated at how slow his progress is. Even though it's not really that slow for the damage caused iyswim. He wants to be back to normal, and that's a long way off.

I use the mf+a bamboo (i think) and get 3 hours normally smile

This thread is not accepting new messages.