This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Nappy Chat #2 - from Teenies to Tuttos and all in between!

(1000 Posts)
PurplePidjin Mon 26-Nov-12 12:16:46

We're running out of room shock

LeBFG Tue 27-Nov-12 19:57:54

Me - no fluffers round these parts. Although I do know an old hippie who did all four of her children back in the day - she even used woolly wraps because they only had nasty non-breathable plastic wraps then.

Although in the south of France, weather is still crap at the moment angry.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Tue 27-Nov-12 20:15:18

<waves out of window>

South of England is pretty vile too

Notgrownupinmyhead Tue 27-Nov-12 20:15:24

I am coming to live with you. grin

Did work take you over there?

All that beautiful cheese mmmmmmm

Im in not so Sunny Mank chester.

ValiumQueen Wed 28-Nov-12 04:18:50

It is barely getting light in the day in scotland.

DD2 is ill again so not in nursery. Dreadful cough which causes vomit at times. No temp to speak of yesterday, but spiked at 8 last night. So far sleeping peacefully. Going a bit stir crazy with being stuck in, but I have a rotten cough too so probably for the best. Running out of healthy food too.

No christmas fluff here.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Wed 28-Nov-12 07:13:53

Christmas mummy-mades here, i won't be buying an expensive nappy that'll be hidden under clothes all day! We do morning with my side locally then up to ILs 2 hours away so no chance to show off grin

Notgrownupinmyhead Wed 28-Nov-12 09:23:54

VQ you need Valium. And chocolate.

2 hours drive its long enough without a baby. Luckily dh cant drive for more than 45mins and his lot are 3.5hours away!

Mum is picking me and the kids up on Xmas morning and dh will pick us up on the way back from work.

She'll do my head right in.

Ds1's behaviour is getting worse, hes again ran out into the road. He'll have to go back on his wrist rein:strap thing.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Wed 28-Nov-12 09:49:20

It's a nice trip, mostly off motorway and plenty of places to stop. We're going for the day on Sunday smile

LeBFG Wed 28-Nov-12 10:09:39

Notgrownup: that's why I live where I do, no interfering mums grin. No work this way which is a bit crap. Just the lifestyle really. Couldn't afford to do it in the UK (usual expat story) and (sorry VQ) Scotland was just a bit too rough to consider weather-wise. Cheeses are good, but I can't eat a lot of them at the moment because the nice ones are unpasturised. I miss Sunday pub lunches much more though! Oh yes, I recommend reins for runners. Great invention.

VQ: hope the family perks up soon. Lots of nasties going around at the minute. Liberal spreading of paracetamol to one and all [xmas twinkly fairy doctor].

Notgrownupinmyhead Wed 28-Nov-12 10:33:54

BFG I envy you. The Sth of Fr is a beautiful place (and the rugby teams grin) and dont blame you at all. If I had the money I would run away there or to Devon, Cornwall way. I can day dream.

Valium is DD old enough for Echinacea? It might help her get over cold bugs quicker. sad

You live in a nice place though Pidj.

I live next to the ship canal and crapped myself last night when I heard the blardy ducks flying over at 10.30!!

There aren't any interfering mums here either, nosey neighbours but I dont mind.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Wed 28-Nov-12 10:45:27

My interfering mum lives up the road grin MIL is just fab, and i haven't met enough local mums to know if they'll interfere or not - i think I'm confident enough in my choices to fend most things off!

Been browsing the alva website letting dp choose nappies. We want denim, football, cow and more transport wink

Notgrownupinmyhead Wed 28-Nov-12 14:43:33

My mum has just been round. Shes impressed with all the nappies we can get nowadays. Me and our kid were in terries.

Im the oldest new mum on the block at 31!! sad and probably at school.

IL are like Marfright.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Wed 28-Nov-12 15:46:22

I'm also 31, not sure if I'm older or younger, this is a very, erm, mixed area iyswim...

LeBFG Wed 28-Nov-12 16:37:32

I'm 35 and definately old compared to all the French mums, though the English mums all tend to be 35+. I'm still the only one who does fluff though grin <nutter>. Works well for us though, especially since the wood burner's been going. Stuff dries o/n no problem.

Notgrownupinmyhead Wed 28-Nov-12 17:21:18

I forget how old I am and still think sometimes Im still in my 20's then Reality sets in. DH is 45 and until his ailments got worse didnt feel it either.

Ill be 32 in Jan.

I signed up for some of the product tests on here and the first sample arrived today grin

Mixed area sounds interesting!

Its a big council estate with the ghetto (as my friend calls it) in the middle. She lives right in the centre of it and tells me allsorts. Lots of pot smokers though, it stinks. And dodgy karaoke parties in the Summer. hmm

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Wed 28-Nov-12 19:19:42

I'm semi-rural, million pound houses with paddock and pool up the road from HA rabbit hutches. I'll be interested to see where fluff and slings fit in the social hierarchy and how many people i can piss off by not giving a shit

DP reckons cloth nappies are middle class. Apparently, the working classes are less likely to question the established norm, therefore wouldn't be aware of modern cloth as an option. Middle class people tend towards questioning and researching.

I shall be observing hmm

Notgrownupinmyhead Wed 28-Nov-12 21:21:39

He he mines a HA house. It was built after the war as an overflow estate. Small ish but solid. It does house the tracksuit and Pauls Boutique generation grin

Weve got lots of farmland alongside the canal so have places to explore with the boys. Mum grew up on the otherside of the estate and moved away when she met dad but nana stayed and is still here now! Where we were before this house was miles away and full of mould and damp and the LL wouldn't sort. Grr

I'd love to live on a barge or in a Bungalow by the sea.

Does dp not see fluff being of lentil weavery class? When Ive looked on some fluff FB pages some of the mums have seemed more yummy than slummy (me) mummies. I think thats why I dont fit in many places. Even the Sure Start Centre here has Mums coming from the more trendy/boho places of Manchester and they do look down their noses at those outside their clique.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Wed 28-Nov-12 21:31:32

Sil used fluff and is the least tie-dyed person ever. I'm pretty mainstream, at least on the surface. Imo it's just a choice i made about what product to use, like which pram/changing bag/babygrows etc!

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Wed 28-Nov-12 21:34:14

Oh, and imo the fb cloth mums have more money than education sense. I steer clear, the frivolity makes me stabby. Bloody grown up disney fans angryblush

Notgrownupinmyhead Wed 28-Nov-12 21:57:05

Do you think they call each other 'huni'?

Oooooooh It makes me grit my teeth when I hear that.

I use fluff as it is cute, im not leaving sposies in the bin stinking, no chemically gel stuff against their peachy bums and I was in them as a baby.

Im too thrifty cheapskate to get a top of the range pram and designer clothes etc. I'd put all ds2's clothes in boxes ready to give away then needed them so saved there wink

Obem is on next, i shouldn't watch it.

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Wed 28-Nov-12 22:08:27

Worse - sexy mama angry they have a cock stabbing knife for when their useless husbands do something useless. They then fail to act on any sensible advice - like tell him not to be so useless - so they return for more poor-dearing with the following week with the same problem. It's more entertaining than 'stenders, i go play with them occasionally grin

Notgrownupinmyhead Wed 28-Nov-12 22:15:01

Sexy mama - barforama. Men do try bless 'em. But to some its never enough.

Ive stopped looking at the pages I may throw my phone.

My head is really itchy. Better not be nits!!

How is the small person?

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 29-Nov-12 00:14:05

Small person will be sleeping in his own crib tonight!

Notgrownupinmyhead Thu 29-Nov-12 06:37:12

Good luck! Teach 'em young!! wink

LeBFG Thu 29-Nov-12 06:47:38

We all live is such different places. Interesting to read. From what I remember about Manchester it was full of trendy sorts. Not me at all grin - I'm much more of a slummy mummy. I think fluff is associated with dirty hippies here so definately people look down their noses a bit when they find out I use fluff.

We live in a fairly isolated place, but it's nice to have lots of animals around us and when DD comes, DS will have a little play-friend. I miss my sister and dad but not anyone else on my side of the family - it would be nice to have some family around to help more though. I'm still on sofa-rest sad. Starting to get me down now. I've just calculated if I give birth at the same gestation as DS, DD will be here mid-Jan!!!! Eeek. Better get those hospital bags packed soon...

PurplePidjChickIsNotTheMessiah Thu 29-Nov-12 07:02:42

I've not really discussed nappies much - I'm of the "this is my choice, get on with it" school of thought - but did have fun showing off at the group. I think they expected rubber pants and terries so got a surprise when i pulled out the minky with zoo animals on grin

Ds fed hourly 10-4 but was in his crib in between, then he did 4:30-6:30 in there. That reflects his sleep pattern on other nights when sleeping on us, so has been counted as a success. We had about 10 mins of yelling in the moses downstairs (with both parents right there) then change and feed and he went in the crib with barely a whimper!

This thread is not accepting new messages.