Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Washing reusable nappies on holiday - need advice

(4 Posts)
JoGehani Sat 10-Nov-12 14:22:51

Hi all,

Warning - this may be a long post smile

I am using muslins for my 5 wo DS... I bought a set of Bumbles, but started off with muslins as the Bumbles looked too bulky on him and he was uncomfortable at times.. I've stuck with muslins as he seems to be happy in them and I really don't mind all the folding smile

Now I'll be travelling to India and staying there for about 2 months (need some post delivery pampering from my mum smile ) and would really like to continue using the muslins while I'm there (also I cannot carry all my Bumbles with me - that's just too much luggage !)

1) I do have a washing machine in India but i don't think it has any temperature settings - so I won't be able to wash the muslins at 60 degrees. In that case, do you recommend soaking overnight in hot water and then washing at normal temp? Do I use something specific to soak the muslins ??

2) I've been using paper liners till now, but would like to know if fleece liners are better as they keep the skin dry? (also ... I don't have to carry rolls of paper liners with me and can just wash and reuse the fleece liners)

Thanks in advance !!
Jo.

I can't help on the washing I'm afraid but I suspe t that muslins might not be absorb ant enough soon. I suggest you also get some terries as the next stage. Fleece would be good.

cheesesarnie Sat 10-Nov-12 14:27:33

can't help on the temp but we went through fazes of using liners but mostly didn't bother. if we did, we used raw silk or fleece.

maybe you could boil the liners and wash the squares seperatley?

Drladybird Tue 13-Nov-12 10:25:43

Hello,
Re. temperature. We don't wash our nappies at 60 every time so perhaps you could wash at normal temp (we use 30 or 40) and then soak every so often (bio d has a good nappy soak detergent). This approach seems to work well for us.

Re. liners. You can get some paper liners that have a one way action so should keep baby dry. Fleece is also good for this too.

Happy holidays!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now