This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Right, I want to use reusables for this baby, but I have lots of questions!!!!! I am new to this, can anyone help?????

(29 Posts)
bumponboardagain Sat 03-Nov-12 19:24:53

Never used reusables before. Baby is due in the new year and due to finances, I am considering using washable nappies for this baby (my 3rd dc). I have a lot some questions, some of which may seem a bit stupid, but hope someone can help!! Here goes!

1. What is a good brand to use? I want something that doesnt take days to dry on the clothes airer in the house, but can also be bunged in the dryer in an emergancy! A nappy that will last, fits well and doesnt leak!!

2. How many will I need and will I need to get different sizes? What about extra bits- 'liners' and 'inserts' etc?

3. What do you do with the used nappies? Basically, how do you remove the sticky baby poo? Do they need rinsing before soaking and if so how do you rinse them? Do you just put wet nappies straight in to soak or rinse first?

4. What do you soak them in and how long for? Do they create much of an odour while soaking?

5. How often do you do a nappy wash?

Thanks for reading!

stephy3 Mon 10-Dec-12 15:27:10

Hi, I am a big fan of TotsBots but that's just me. I think it is good to have different kind as you use them differently: some dry faster, some are more absorbent, etc... even if some are not your favourite, you will use them.

Very important: try to find a Nappuccino (that's a nappy demo) or a nappy library in your area so you can have a look at them and ask questions. Those events are free and the people who run them love to talk about nappies.

I would also say: ease yourself in. Buy a few, try them, get some more, etc...

And if you want to save money, make sure you check with your council for any cashback scheme. Or as it's almost Christmas, ask for NapNap Vouchers which are gift vouchers for nappies. You can use the voucher in lots of different online shops so you can choose the nappies you want and that could cover almost all your needs! They have a website if you want to know more.

good luck!

CelticPromise Mon 10-Dec-12 17:33:46

I use ye olde terry squares and I love them. They are cheap and you can fold them to suit the shape of your baby and adapt them as it grows. I use them day and night, with flushable liners in the day and fleece liners at night. I don't find it necessary to change them any more often than a disposable. I double up at night and DS ( now 3!) is perfectly comfy in them for 12 hours. I use Motherease wraps.

Dry bucket, rinse any really bad ones in the toilet ( I'm not squeamish) and wash every five days, but I have a big machine. I don't have a tumbler but the nappies can go in. not the wraps though.

I am a cloth nappy evangelist, they have saved me a fortune.

10storeylovesong Mon 17-Dec-12 11:45:20

Loving this thread as had logged on to ask all the same questions myself! Has anyone tried the Bambino Mio nappies?

CelticPromise Mon 17-Dec-12 12:16:20

I've tried them, didn't get on brilliantly with them. I found it hard to get them secure.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now