This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Wee smelling nappies

(12 Posts)
Notgrownupinmyhead Sat 24-Nov-12 22:30:37

Lavender oil in the rinse cycle disinfects and smells yum.

I was told never to use bicarb or vinegar on nappies but do wink

I put 2-4 tablespoons in with the powder and a big glug of white vinegar in the rinse cycle and it did help or:

Do 2 washes at 60 deg with no detergent then a 60 deg wash with half a dose. Which is what Im currently doing as the older baby is teething and the nappies smell in the morning.

LeBoob Sun 04-Nov-12 16:00:06

I'll give them a crack on 90 and see, thanks guys

brettgirl2 Sun 04-Nov-12 15:56:36

I've washed easyfits on 90 when lo had a tummy bug and they came out fine. I'd only do it when absolutely necessary though.

stinkinseamonkey Sun 04-Nov-12 13:27:59

its not different from a second hand vest or baby grow! in fact any baby clothes or even bedding is likely to have been pooed/peed or vommed on at some point. No problem if you nappisan or hot wash

onessa Sun 04-Nov-12 13:13:22

you bought second hand nappies for your baby??? yeurghhhhhhhh!!!!!bin them and buy new....

stinkinseamonkey Sun 04-Nov-12 12:32:32

brettgirl2 the idea is to cold wash first then hot wash

I find a cold rinse then a hot wash does the trick

LeBoob Sun 04-Nov-12 12:31:17

jennimoo I've sent one of the particularly rank ones to my mums for her to leave out all week, fingers crossed!

brettgirl2 will they survive a 90 wash? I don't want the inner to peel away like my eBay cheapies did when I washed them on 60

Vinegar next stop!

brettgirl2 Sun 04-Nov-12 11:52:17

I disagree if ever I wash nappies at 40 they come out gross. OP I would wash them with a decent amount of fairy non bio liquid and lavender at 90 (others dont work I find). I would then wash them twice on a cooler temperature without liquid. I occasionally wash them at 90 and they come out fine (although not separate wraps) . I do find that putting them in the tumble dryer tends to bring out smells.

DoubleYew Thu 01-Nov-12 16:05:19

Cool wash is best as hot water is supposed to cook the wee smell in.

Several washes with no powder worked when mine got a bit smelly. Vinegar is probably worth a shot too.

halloweeneyqueeney Thu 01-Nov-12 15:53:12

vinegar?

jennimoo Thu 01-Nov-12 15:51:40

Mine were really bad and causing nappy rash and I'd given up using them. As a last resort I read the idea of putting then on the washing line for a week in the rain, and it seems to have worked! I washed first, left then out a week (or slightly longer for the second load!) and then did a rinse before letting them dry as normal.

Worth a try?

LeBoob Thu 01-Nov-12 12:29:00

Hi all, I bought 5 preloved tots bots, 2 bamboo, 3 fleece & I can't get the smell of wee out!
I've tried so far my regular wash 30 & 60 with dash of liquid, then I tried long 30 cycle & 2 60 with no liquid, then I tried soaking overnight with washing up liquid and then rinse wash wash wash till no bubbles, & finally rinse and 2 60 washes again!

They are currently drying and I can still smell it!

Any recommendations are welcome, should i try the dishwasher tablet method?

mega pissed off with ebayer that didn't tell me they were sending pissy nappies

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now