This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Any advice for nappy rash?

(12 Posts)
SamSmalaidh Wed 17-Oct-12 13:18:27

DS had nappy rash at this age and it was thrush - he also had it in his mouth.

MrsHowardRoark Wed 17-Oct-12 13:14:49

Sounds horrible and I'm glad to hear she is on the mend.
Maybe take some comfort in the fact that she probably won't feel it as badly as it looks due to her undeveloped nervous system.
We used warm water to clean and olive oil as a barrier. It is gentle and chemical free. My midwife said to stay away from anything like sudocream as it is too harsh on a newborn's skin.

Oh dear. Glad she is better but it's garbage that it's due to reusables. All 3 of mine wore reusables, and it's just one of those things....

WantAnOrange Wed 17-Oct-12 10:36:39

Ive already been to GP and he's taken a swab. The Bepanthen has helped a lot over night.

I use washable wipes so basically just a flannel and water.

GP made me feel awful, and blamed it on using resuasble nappies angry.

Anyway she is much happier today.

Take her to GP. If it's fungal, she needs a prescription.

had a useless discussion with a pharmacist yesterday about DD2's nappy rash, so took her this morning to GP. It actually wasn't fungal or thrush, just dreadful nappy rash, but got a tube of hydrocortisone cream which has started to clear it up...

KnockedUpMell Tue 16-Oct-12 20:53:29

I second not using baby wipes. I used to wash ds in the sink whenever he needed a nappy change and pat dry with a muslin. Then a liberal application of olive oil! He's had the occasional sore bottom, but never had proper nappy rash.

ScreamyShriekyFrightyWoozyWooo Tue 16-Oct-12 20:47:48

Do you use baby wipes? Both my boys get (or got - Ds1 is potty trained now) nappy rash when I use wipes. I just use cotton wool and water whenever I can, and save wipes for when we're out and about.

Leoboy Tue 16-Oct-12 20:32:59

Metanium is really good. It does stain bedroom carpets though so don't leave it where a 2 year old big sister can get it!!

PrincessOfChina Tue 16-Oct-12 20:32:38

A Dr friend told me that most nappy rash is actually fungal. DD had recurrent rash thr came and went every few things. Metanium helped but the only thing that cleared it quickly and kept it away was an anti fungal cream from the Dr.

Yika Tue 16-Oct-12 20:29:08

I use cream if the skin is red but if the skin is broken I recommend Cytelium drying lotion.

Oh dear, that sounds difficult. Has the Health Visitor suggested anything?

I guess you could try having a bit of air-time just for her bottom half in a warm room on a fluffy towel (trying t think of anything else so she doesn't scream).

And maybe keep trying different creams - we used Metatanium, which worked well but DS2 had a slight reaction to it if we used it throughout the day so worth keeping it to a minimum if you can.

WantAnOrange Tue 16-Oct-12 19:32:33

DD is only 15 days old and has nappy rash. I'm changing her every hour at least, and whenever we notice she's pooed inbetween. She hates being naked but I've been doing some baby massage to calm her each morning and let the air get to it. We tried Sudocream and it made it worse. We've got Bepanthen now and seems a little better but DD wont stop screaming. She keeps latching on to feed and them getting more upset because it's not helping.

I use reusable nappies but have swapped to disposables because we are changing them so often.

I cant stand seeing her so upset, is there anything I can use to help the pain? I know she's to little for Calpol.

DH has taken her for a walk in the buggy to try and get her to sleep a bit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now