Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Newborn nappies constantly leaking - tips?

(10 Posts)
JimbosJetSet Tue 16-Oct-12 08:53:40

DS is 10 days old and nearly every time he wakes up in the night (about every 3 hours) his nappy has leaked onto his clothes and bedding (with urine). He is quite a skinny little sausage and I think the nappies tend to leak around the legs. I have tried size 1s Pampers, Huggies and Boots own, the same thing happens.

What amI doing wrong? Any tips? I didn't have this problem with DD!

Thank you...

nancerama Tue 16-Oct-12 08:55:59

What's his weight? Have you checked that he doesn't need to go up to the next size? It sounds mental, but sometimes going up a size helps. Leaks don't usually happen because of gaps, but because there isn't enough absorbent stuff. Bigger nappies = more stuff!

greensnail Tue 16-Oct-12 08:59:11

You could try using a wrap for a washable nappy over the top of the disposable, that should stop anything leaking out.

JimbosJetSet Tue 16-Oct-12 09:21:08

He is 9lb... The size 1 nappies seem massive on him still but I'll try a size 2 then thank you smile

Iggly Tue 16-Oct-12 09:22:30

Is his willy pointing down? If not, more likely to leak.

Ds Started leaking out of number 1 nappies within his first week (9lb at birth). Hes been in size 2s since (now 3 weeks). Also, what brand are you using? My dd was a long skinny thing and she'd leak like mad out of huggies. Pampers and tescos have been best for her. Ds leaks out of huggies too, and he's more of a short chunky thing!

CheungFun Tue 16-Oct-12 10:09:00

I tried Asda own brand nappies when DS kept leaking as they seem a bit bigger than Huggies/Pampers and they leaked much less often, might be worth a try.

Tchaikovsky Thu 25-Oct-12 08:28:38

I found that all disposable nappies leak, and I don't actually end up with much more washing now I'm using washables, as they rarely leak, so I don't have nearly as many clothes and sheets to wash.

Fairylea Thu 25-Oct-12 08:31:15

Ds was in size 2 at the end of the first week when he was about 9lbs.

I always go up a size earlier than the weight banding as they don't leak so much and aren't so tight round the middle.

He's now 4 months and in size 4+ !

schmalex Thu 25-Oct-12 08:36:12

I'm with CheungFun and recommend Asda Little Angels.

I had this with my DS and it improved when his thighs got a bit chubbier!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now