This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Any opinions on LL OSFA or Bumgenius Freetime nappies yet?

(31 Posts)
Peaky1 Sun 14-Oct-12 12:16:14

Hi all. I was wondering if anyone had used these types of nappies yet as the reviews are few and far between (...can't find any in fact). I have bought 8 LL OSFA with the offer already and I'm considering buying 10 BG Freetime after having a look and a feel in a nappy shop yesterday.

ValiumQueen Sun 14-Oct-12 12:21:39

I am not stalking you, honest! You like the freetime then? Never seen them in the fluff, but heard good things about them.

My little lamb OSFAs are all poppa'd down ready for DS grin

<<off to google freetime>>

ValiumQueen Sun 14-Oct-12 12:45:34

There are some videos on YouTube which are interesting. I much prefer the LL or pocket nappies after viewing the videos for the following reasons:

Poppas win for me every time for fit, and also for ease of laundering, plus when poo is about I hate getting it out of the Velcro, plus other fluff that accumulates over time.

Although freetime are OSFA, as the pads are sewn in, they would be quite bulky on a newborn. It also looks as if Velcro would be against the baby's skin at the back. not sure I like that. I can also imagine the pads could move around a bit and bunch up.

With washing if there is poo, I remove the Inserts from the pockets first so there are less bits to scrub. With the BG poo would be on every layer, and I would not like that much.

I would recommend getting just one and seeing how you get on with it.

Have you looked at Alva Baby 3 on eBay? I can message you details of the seller I like if you want. They are like LL OSFA but bigger, and fancy prints. I love them.

Peaky1 Sun 14-Oct-12 13:58:11

No worries VQ. I like being able to chatter away about my new obsession that I didn't see coming at all! My DP keeps smiling at me in (affectionate) amusement saying 'You really love all these nappies, don't you?!'. I even sent an iPhone photo of the LLs to him while he was at work when they arrived, ha!

Plus it is so good to talk to someone that has tried and tested quite a few nappies and from that can still anticipate good/bad points about nappies they haven't used yet.

I am also no longer a fan of velcro and I had the exact same reaction as you when I realised the velcro Freetime seemed to have a piece at the back of the nappy that would defo rub and chafe a wriggler. People tend to feedback that velcro tabs can get a bit flappy and manky over time too, whereas poppers tend to last longer. My Mum came with me and said she preferred poppers too. However Freetime do a popper version anyway.

I just watched a youtube video of BG FT and I can now see what you mean with the potential of the sewn-in bits to go a bit awol. I'm glad you can put a booster in there though e.g. bamboo for night if you wanted. Perhaps a BG pocket nappy would be good. I just really liked the quality of BG. The shop that I went to did a nice demo for me but they only stock BG, Tots Bots and Pop Ins for 1-sizers and Bambinex for a bamboo night option with Motherease wraps.

I'm keeping a keen eye on ebay to buy the odd one or two to try on different types but not won anything yet.

I've not heard of Alva Baby so I'll have a nosey now, thanks!

Peaky1 Sun 14-Oct-12 14:03:52

Wow, they are excellent prices! I take it you use/used Alva Baby nappies? It seems a little too good to be true?!

ValiumQueen Sun 14-Oct-12 15:00:11

I have two and one on order. I have cow and giraffe, waiting on a tiger, and DD loves them. I think they are my favourite day nappy tbh. Not sure they would last overnight with my big heavy wetter. They are bigger than the LL OSFA which do not do up around her thighs, not sure how they would be on a wee bum. Have had big wee's and poos too, including squitty teething ones, and only one leak, when she was being 'watched' by her Daddy. Every nappy will leak if it has too much wetness!

They are an amazing price, but are very good quality, the stitching, poppas and fabrics are quality, and it is a good size. The fleece keeps bum nice and dry, and you can boost it as needed. It comes with one microfibre insert, like the LL one.

The potential problems are, if you are very 'ethical thinking', then they are probably made by a poorly paid young person living in poverty. As are many things we buy, unfortunately. Also resale value would possibly be lower than with other more recognised brands, but the cute prints may counterbalance this. Besides you buy a nappy to use it firstly, and at £4, it will not owe you much. It is also coming a long way, and takes a few weeks to arrive. This suits me as I buy less. I allow myself to order one once I receive one. Daft I know.

For you personally, it will not 'add' anything in particular to your collection as very similar to the LL, and if money is tight, I would consider buying some two part bamboo nappies for nights. However, 8 daytime nappies are not likely to be enough for a newborn, so if you like the pockets you have, you could supplement with the Alvas. Make sure you get version 3 as they are a more generous cut.

They are sold under different brand names, and by UK buyers at inflated prices. I think once the brand is more accepted, prices will indeed go up.

ValiumQueen Sun 14-Oct-12 15:02:08

I do not sell them, and am not related to the brand in any way grin

AmandinePoulain Sun 14-Oct-12 16:23:28

My LL OSFAs arrived on Thursday and I love them grin. I ordered 2 lots of 8, 4 of each colour, for 9wo dd2. I had LL bamboos for dd1 and was using those but they've gone to the bottom of the pile. The Velcro on them was getting a bit tired and I found I was using the drier more often to dry them, the OSFAs dry so much quicker that by the time I've claimed my £50 back from my LA they will more than pay for themselves.

They are far better at keeping dd's skin dry than the fleece liners I was using, and much less fiddly then the 2 parters. They are slightly more bulky though, and I need to phone LLs tomorrow about a broken popper but otherwise I'm really pleased with them smile

ValiumQueen Sun 14-Oct-12 16:25:53

I wish I got money from my LA! amandine. How are they for fit for a wee one?

AmandinePoulain Sun 14-Oct-12 16:41:39

They are fine - just a bit wider between the legs than my bamboos. And the inserts seem to be coping with her huge wees - no leaks yet, and she almost slept through last night for the first time - the nappy was on for 10 hours without any problems. If I do run into trouble as she gets older I intend to replace the inserts with bamboo ones, or use some of the boosters I've already got.

AmandinePoulain Sun 14-Oct-12 16:43:09

I should add that she's 10lbs 11, and in between the 25th and 50th centile so still quite small but she does have fairly chunky thighs grin

Peaky1 Sun 14-Oct-12 17:00:03

Haha are you sure?

I think I will invest in a few. They look like they defo need boosting a bit more but that's easily solved. With these pocket nappies do you put your fleece liner on the top and then stuff the rest in pocket as required? Complete dummy question but my brain can't gather any common sense hmm!

I'm planning on investing in about 5 bamboo nappies for nights eventually when baby is sleeping longer so can hopefully rotate them with their loooong drying times. I hear bambinex and LL are good brands for this. May just buy one with a wrap and see how I get on to start with.

I'm not actually expecting the osfa nappies to fit to start with (although they're telling me i'll probably have a biffer). I have a stockpile of size 1 and 2 pampers to get me started (stockpiled before I changed my mind to cloth) and also hopefully give me the opportunity to mix up so that I can try a few cloth without buying too much at first. I have to say I am already disappointed that I will use them at all but that's the new addiction talking! blush

AmandinePoulain Sun 14-Oct-12 17:03:01

No need for a liner with the OSFAs, there's one sewn in. I use a fleece liner with my bamboos though.

Peaky1 Sun 14-Oct-12 17:03:02

Woah, I took that long to type that 4 other posts popped up inbetween! That's what I get for chatting to DP and posting at the same time.

ValiumQueen Sun 14-Oct-12 17:25:16

Yeah, no liner with pockets otherwise they leak! Fleece if thin acts as a keep dry layer, but if thicker becomes waterproof. Liner essential with bamboo.all stuffing goes in pocket.

amandine I think it would be best to use 1 microfibre and 1 or 2 bamboo boosters. Not just bamboo. Not quite sure why, but when I used two bamboos only, they did not hold much.

Peaky1 Sun 14-Oct-12 17:54:08

Aaaah I see!

I had a look on the LL website and realised that the offer is actually still on! I ordered another 8 blush.

Where do you guys get your boosters from? I will have a shop around later when back on laptop but someone may be able to prevent me rebuilding the Ark...

ValiumQueen Sun 14-Oct-12 18:39:37

Little lamb bamboo boosters are what I use. I do not work for them either.

I think they are pretty much all the same.

I knew the offer was on again, but I did not want to lead you astray!

I think the offer this time was for 6 though? 14 should keep you going grin

Peaky1 Sun 14-Oct-12 20:39:30

No they're still doing the 8 option too! If they're all pretty much the same then I'll have a shop about and see what kind of pricing I can get.

Am tempted to get a couple of teeny wraps and some muslins to fold if he's too small for osfa at first.

ValiumQueen Sun 14-Oct-12 20:44:19

16 is even better!

snala Tue 16-Oct-12 15:51:42

Have a look at tiny nippers,they have some fab prints at great prices. smile

AmandinePoulain Tue 16-Oct-12 16:36:57

LLs couldn't have been nicer about my missing poppa - a new nappy is on its way to me smile

ValiumQueen Tue 16-Oct-12 18:35:50

I like the tiny nippers site. Not necessarily the nappies, but they have clothes and fleece soakers and other bits, so thank you snala.

Peaky1 Tue 16-Oct-12 20:05:07

I have just done a few first washes on my 16 osfa's and I found a broken popper in the washing machine but do you think I could match it to a nappy? No! Will have another thorough search when they're dry confused

ValiumQueen Tue 16-Oct-12 20:18:15

You washed them a few times? Why? LL will replace the broken nappy.

AmandinePoulain Tue 16-Oct-12 20:22:55

Don't worry about it peaky, they told me to keep the broken one anyway, and they're sending me a lovely new one smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now