This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Biodegradable nappies

(32 Posts)
blushingmare Sun 14-Oct-12 03:55:04

I want to try biodegradable nappies as feel so terrible about the landfill we're producing with our trusty Pampers. The problem is, I really do think Pampers do a brilliant job of keeping her little bum dry, comfy and rash free. She produces ALOT of wee at night and has leaked several times with other nappy brands, but Pampers Baby Dry keep her dry for 12 hours straight and also are relatively good at containing the more explosive poos! So I'm nervous about switching and don't want to risk (more than usual) disturbed nights, or even worse, any nappy rash. Would interested in hearing others' experiences of biodegrade nappies. Thanks.

billybob7 Mon 22-Jul-13 14:40:48

Hi girls! I have been really worried as I am expecting my baby and I am an absolute freak when it comes to composting and making sure everything goes in the right place. So I have just stumbled upon an interesting read about the gNappies and Hotbins (I have a hotbin which I use for my garden composting in which all sorts of food - cooked or uncooked goes and up until now it works flawlessly - it has thousands of massive worms in it making sure they do not leave anything behind - the worms came into the bin by themselves (it is not a wormery)) and wanted to share with all of you what I read today :http://www.hotbincomposting.com/boards/t/844/can-i-compost-nappies-diapers.aspx
Also had a look on the gNappie website and those nappies look amazing - http://www.gnappies.com/environmentally-friendly-nappies/start-here
Let me know if you have already experimented with the gNappies as I am due in February and I might to start another Hotbin before winter comes in as you need to get it hot before throwing masses of nappies in it.

TonyCal Tue 22-Oct-13 23:30:02

Hi Sorry we missed the post. If anyone would like a copy of the case study and test results of home composting disposable nappies I can provide, or follow the link to our blog: www.hotbincomposting.com/.../can-i-compost-nappies-diapers.aspx#sthash.ccTPa2Ui.dpuf

If you would like more info on how and why there are different reports on how fast they compost or what happens in to them in landfill we can also provide.

anderel Thu 24-Oct-13 22:23:53

I've looked into this and have concluded composting nappies is not viable. For starters, it's illegal to home compost pooey nappies. Then there's the fact that you would need a HUGE compost bin/pile to deal with all the nappies. I found a NZ company that makes compostable nappies and has pics of the degradation on their website. Basically they put one nappy in a standard sized garden compost bin and after 3 months it still looked like a nasppy, but black. Hmmm. Apparently it had broken down by 30%. Sorry I can't seem to find any relevant links.

billybob7 Mon 28-Oct-13 13:55:37

Hi TonyCal - can you please let us know about how fast do they compost and whether you know if Hotbin will compost anything but the gNappies??Have you had any experience composting nappies of any sort and if yes - which brands? Thanks

Hi anderel - why is composting nappies illegal? Where does it say that ... and it's legal to fill the landfill? I don't get it. Thanks

anderel Wed 30-Oct-13 11:40:28

Sorry, late night posting made for some factual errors! Home composting poo is not recommended as may not get hot enough to kill pathogens. So, not illegal. Putting poo in council garden compost collection is not allowed for the same reason, but also for health and safety of waste handlers. Many councils require adult hygiene waste (incontinence products)to be double-bagged and incinerated however nappies are free to go with normal waste. Unsure why the double standards. In my county all waste is incinerated...

anderel Wed 30-Oct-13 11:44:38

This is the NZ compostable nappy I was talking about:http://www.envirochoice.co.nz/Site/Composting/default.aspx

billybob7 Fri 08-Nov-13 12:57:15

Hi anderel, I agree with you - it does seem disgusting and not acceptable to compost those types of nappies. However, I think I am going to embark on a experiment myself with the 100% biodegradable nappies (gNappies) and the HotBin which goes to 60C which is supposed to kill all bacteria and pathogens. Will let you know how I get on and whether it had worked smile)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now