This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Best changing bag for reusable nappies

(10 Posts)
giraffe213 Sat 13-Oct-12 16:36:55

I came on here a few months ago for nappy recommendations and was very grateful for the advice received. Now I'm looking for a bag to carry them around in! It seems to me that most affordable changing bags wouldn't be big enough to carry around several cloth nappies, liners, a spare wrap and wet bags for dirty ones plus anything else needed, and I don't really want to spend more than £50 - even that seems too expensive but the reviews on cheaper ones aren't great.
I know people say just use a normal bag but I'm not convinced about the idea of carrying around dirty nappies in a bag that doesn't have a waterproof lining (even if they are inside a separate wet bag, the potential for disaster just seems too great!)
If any cloth nappy user has an affordable changing bag they could recommend I'd love to know smile

I've got a Cath Kidston one, which I got at their Bicester outlet shop for £40 (usually £65 I think). It has lots of pockets, and a large separate zipped compartment inside, which I use for wet nappies (I also put them in a wet bag). I can comfortably fit 4 cloth nappies in the bag, along with creams, wipes, liners, a spare wrap, change mat, spare clothes, a muslin and breast pads. It's completely waterproof inside and out, which I like. I totally agree about not using a normal bag, which is what always seems to get recommended on here!

giraffe213 Mon 15-Oct-12 10:01:10

Thanks, the Cath Kidston bags do look practical - a bit over budget but maybe I'll see one on sale somewhere!

umboo Mon 15-Oct-12 22:58:08

i use a rucksack, it IS a normal bag but its made by karrimor so is waterproof-ish. i carry 2 spare cloth in it and 3 spare disposables. but i used to put 3 spare larger disposables too for 2.5ds (who i couldn't convince to switch to cloth when we started a few months ago when dd arrived!) so i could fit in quite a bit in there. i don't know if that helps at all, but trekking style rucksaks are worth investigating, especially if you use slings as well. smile

YBR Sun 02-Dec-12 16:34:23

I still use the freebie change bag I got from Boots when DD was newborn. It has space for one or two cloth nappies, a few disposables, wipes, change of clothes, emergency bottle and milk carton, calpol, small tub of snacks and "planned" drink bottled for DD. plus all the little bits (nappy cream, liners). The dirty nappy and any dirty/wet clothes go into a wet bag "loose" in the change bag and that's always been fine for us.

There's not enough space for it to function as a handbag as well IYSWIM, or to pack many or large toys but since we're usually only out for a few hours it works well. If we're out for a whole day there's usually an extra bag anyway.

DD is 1yo now and some of the lining is pulling out of the stitching, but not bad for a freebie.

NAR4 Wed 05-Dec-12 13:52:44

Like umboo I use a rucksack.

It is lined with a waterproof lining because its meant to be used as a soft cool bag. It has loads of pockets for creams, breastpads, spare clothes etc, a massive main compartment, which can fit a whole days worth of washable nappies in and is convenient to carry with a babysling.

Can't remember how much it costs, but it wouldn't have been a lot. I think it came from the supermarket (a few years ago though).

Like you I find the cost of large nappy bags astounding, which is why I don't have one.

TheNameisNOTZiggy Fri 04-Jan-13 15:00:53

I use a little patch double bag for my nappies, wipes, spare clothes & roll up change mat. (http://www.thenappylady.co.uk/double_my_little_patch.asp?selindex=6&szclr=SALE%20lge&item=Double%20Pocket%20Wet%20Nappy/Wipes%20Bag)
I put it in the largest bag that comes to hand along with my wallet, baby toys and a ziplock bag with baby rice cakes, fruit and other treats. Works for us.

I also have a Little Patch double wet bag, which if I'm taking on its own will hold 3 nappies, and I put in the free huggies change mat with wipes and nappy bags in. Otherwise my Bababing changing bag has a waterproof compartment at the bottom for dirties.

Kelbells Sat 05-Jan-13 21:56:24

I also have a my little patch wetbag (or two, one in the wash one in use), she has started making custom made boho and messenger bags too which aren't that expensive and I'm very tempted by! I fit in 2 cloth nappies, a spare change of clothes, Muslin and washable breast pads no problem, i also use a small one for washable wipes. My husband bought me a storksak as an (early) Christmas present when our DS was born in October but I don't really need it. The wetbags are so attractive that I happily have them on show or they stuff into a big handbag no problem.. I've bought most stuff second hand for DS but I splashed out on these. They are one of my best buys! smile

HerrenaHarridan Sun 17-Feb-13 10:31:59

I ended up using a rucksack because of the sling. It's actually much better ( for me).
Lots of sections and pockets so I can keep lunch and nappies in different bits. I don't drive so I need to carry everything I may need for potentially all day out and about grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now