Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Accessories - what do I need?

(53 Posts)
blonderthanred Sat 06-Oct-12 19:16:39

Ok, so my 8 Little Lambs OSFA nappies arrived and I'm looking at getting a few other brands too before the baby arrives in a few weeks. But what else do I need to make life run smoothly and unsmellily?

I assumed there'd be various accessory kits, but I can only find one or two - all with different contents - and I'm not sure if I'd be better buying stuff individually.

From what I've seen, the things I definitely need are:
A lidded bucket
Mesh bag (to go in bucket? Do I need 2 or more?)
Paper liners

And I possibly need:
A wet bag to take out and about
Special detergent? (Potion?)
Sanitiser (do I put this in the bucket?)

Reading threads here, maybe I should get some white vinegar too? Do I put that in the washing machine or in the bucket? What about tea tree oil? Is that just a smell thing? Anything else you've found helpful?

Would appreciate any advice - really want to make a success of this but I don't want to waste money buying stuff I don't need.

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 19:32:38

peaky do they have views on breast feeding too?

mummy they are minky grin. So soft!

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 19:33:53

And I am due in two weeks so will have orange poo grin or at least baby will!

mummysmellsofsick Tue 09-Oct-12 19:34:03

Peaky homebirth is doable too. If the baby's position is good and you are relaxed, I was lucky with DS and the pain was really never an issue. I don't get why reusables and homebirth are seen as so radically hippy/ alternative. I haven't woven any lentils for ages and I had a hb.

mummysmellsofsick Tue 09-Oct-12 19:35:23

Oh valium good luck! And enjoy the orange poo!!

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 19:39:16

Thank you. I am having a section as my babies seem to get stuck. I would love a home birth, but would just be too scared now.

emsyj Tue 09-Oct-12 20:06:37

People expressed similar feelings when I said I was going to use washables, but they were no bother whilst I was on mat leave - 10 minutes' work a day, tops. I got lazy after returning to work full time, but I will use them again when DC2 arrives in February - they're very easy and you don't have to worry about running out. I used washable wipes too, so easy.

I was once chatting to another mum and she said something about Huggies being on offer in the supermarket so a good time to stock up - I said, 'Oh I use washables' and she said, 'So you just use disposables out and about then?' I said, 'Um, no, I don't buy disposables'. She was slack-jawed in shock, but then said that she'd thought about using them but her mum had put her off saying that it would be really hard work and why make life harder for yourself. I think she must remember the days of terry squares, folding, napisan buckets, rinsing and all the rest - the modern ones (we used BumGenius) are just like disposables, but you put them in the washing machine. And they save so much money too.

Indith Tue 09-Oct-12 20:13:08

I have:

Nappies
Fleece liners (I find paper just gets wet and sticks to their skin, fleece stays dry next to skin)
Bucket
Cloth wipes (baby flannels from poundland)
tupperware for wipes.
Wet bag for putting nappies in when out.

I don't have a mesh bag, I had one but found it too small. I tend to do a small load of nappies with a towel so I can actually get towels washed regularly too. Tip bucket into middle of towel and stuff the lot in the mashine. Cold rinse so you don't set in wee smell then wash at 60C. I use ecoballs so no residues on delicate skin.

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 20:13:23

I must admit when I went back to work I reverted to disposables as nursery would not use washables, and I could not find a night nappy that did not leak. Now have the nights sorted, and nursery are willing. I will have two in cloth, and the eldest at 6 has been known to wear a fuzzi for fun.

Peaky1 Tue 09-Oct-12 20:38:17

Hey I like the idea of the towel, nice one!

Valium - what worked for you for nights? Nights are definitely something I'm going to discuss with the nappy lady/library I've found. I imagine that's when the most leaks will happen.

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 21:26:17

Towel is a good idea. Might try that one.

peaky bamboo is the way to go once little one is sleeping through. I just use bamboo at night or on a long journey. Boost with extra bamboo. Two part system, so nappy and waterproof wrap. Fleece liner as bamboo will remain damp on the skin. If you 'like' little lamb nappies Facebook page you will see all the offers. I got 10 bamboo nappies for £30 including delivery. You would not need that many if just using at night, but bear in mind they take ages to dry. You only need a couple of wraps. There are better wraps out there. Your OSFA should be fine for many months though. It is only when they get bigger that they do huge wee's.

I think I actually prefer my tots bots bamboozles though, but they are more expensive. I got mine with doubling up my Tesco points, so five plus a wrap for £25 worth of points. They are birth to potty, and dry a bit quicker. I will be using these on new baby once he sleeps through, hopefully at 6 or 7 weeks like the girls did.

I was having dreadful problems with disposables leaking at least once a week with DD 2 a few months ago, and I came on here and discovered the wonder of bamboo. Have not used a disposable at night since.

blonderthanred Tue 09-Oct-12 22:19:06

Hello nappy people, thanks for the additional advice. Peaky I have found the same as you that people do scoff a bit. My sister was quite taken with mine when she saw them the other day though. I guess we just have to get on with it and do our own thing, like anything else to do with babies it seems.

Ooh Indith I was looking at ecoballs, not specifically for nappies but I'm interested in trying them. It just seems too good to be true but I obviously lots of people use them.

mummysmellsofsick Wed 10-Oct-12 08:14:06

Yes bamboo at nights is the way forward, and as everyone says motherease wraps are the best that's what we got, didn't try any others. We tried to get by with 4 but bought one more as they are so slow to dry

ValiumQueen Wed 10-Oct-12 11:06:35

Are motherease better than blueberries? I prefer the prints of blueberries I must admit, and they are one size and poppas. I prefer poppas, and having two in cloth it is worth having one size ones. I think I have answered my own question, for me anyway.

With cloth, people will prefer certain things, and babies are different shapes and sizes.

ValiumQueen Wed 10-Oct-12 11:08:29

This morning I could smell DD coming, her nappy was so saturated. Absolutely sopping wet, and it had not leaked at all. Amazing.

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Wed 10-Oct-12 23:21:05

I use Bamboozles at nights with Rumparooz wraps. Love love love the RumpRooz wraps - never leak, but was getting loads of leaks with Airflows.

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Wed 10-Oct-12 23:21:51

Also have a Blueberry but much prefer the Rumparooz. The front is elasticated as well, like Thirsties.

ValiumQueen Thu 11-Oct-12 08:57:12

Ooh. Liking the Rumparooz a lot!!! Elastic at the front seems essential now I come to think of it. I am clearly gonna need to buy more grin Actually I am thinking I should try a fleece wrap for nights. Or wool. Hmm.

Peaky1 Thu 11-Oct-12 08:58:21

I wonder if there's a difference with leaks and boys/girls. I've read that boys obviously wet more at the front (why I didn't think of that to start with, I don't know) but are we talking about leaking poos or both?

I'm a bit gutted this morning because nappy library lady has had to cancel because her LO has D&V, poor thing sad. I was really looking forward to discussing the whole subject and getting my hands on some!

ValiumQueen Thu 11-Oct-12 09:05:45

What a shame about cancellation peaky Hope you do not have to wait long. As to leaks I only have girls so far, and they wee centre and front. The backs of the nappies in the fitted style are quite often dry. If it is a pocket it tends to be dispersed a bit better. Both my girls are front sleepers too. I think poo would explode up the back with boys and girls as they are basically the same in that respect. If in a car seat though, it can be forced up the front. Also in a high chair too. Not nice. That was in disposables though (days I bitterly regret, please forgive me). The main thing with boys is point them down. I wonder how long it will take me to remember.

WitchesTitWhistles Thu 11-Oct-12 09:15:27

I used to use fleece liners but sticky poo stays stuck! I had to keep a spoon in the bathroom to scrape the poo off.
I now use Pop In's corn starch liners that are fully flushable and compostable (for compostable toilets I reckon, as opposed to compost heaps!). They are soft and fantastic, its true, paper liners are horrible.

I am a bit of a nappy whore, and my stash includes Gen-Y , bum genius, blueberry, ones&twos, Pop-ins, G nappy and pockets i got from ebay as well as odd prototypes and samples, I still rate my old Mothercare smart nappy covers (whatever happened to them?)
I mainly use all in ones or covers and inserts now after finding that regular nappies put my DP off changing them as they get so soggy grin

Real nappying is addictive, it has been suggested by certain people that I got pregnant again so that I can keep buying using real nappies!

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Thu 11-Oct-12 10:03:50

I've only had pee leaks - never had a poo leak with cloth. My LO has only just started sleeping on her front at nearly 8 months, so her nappies have gone from being really wet at the back to at the front.

Peaky1 Thu 11-Oct-12 10:12:20

It really is addictive and I haven't even got a baby to put them on yet (or a doll or teddy big enough sad! I've just got a set of 8 Little Lambs OSFA from the offer that I was excited to receive yesterday and had a mess about with.

I just really need to sit down with someone who knows their stuff and discuss whilst looking as I still get myself confused with all the different types and lured in by pretty patterns. It's also difficult to decide how many of each size (if not osfa) for what types for days/nights. I will get there! Those Rumparooz are awesome!

I have found a nappy shop about 30 miles away from me in Leamington Spa so I may plan a visit this weekend to have a gander. I'm 37 weeks now so I don't want to be leaving it much longer to drive longer distances!

Peaky1 Thu 11-Oct-12 10:14:35

I think the key to my worries is making expensive mistakes whilst feeling some need to be prepared before the baby is here! I've got plenty of disposables ready anyway...this must be the sign of early addiction!

WitchesTitWhistles Thu 11-Oct-12 11:14:49

Peaky, despite my best intentions I found that my newborn ds wouldn't fit in the reusables at all. He weighed 7lb 6oz, they were massive on his skinny bum. I used disposable for about 6 weeks til he'd beefed up a bit.

My way of thinking is that every reusable used is one less disposable in the landfill. That way I don't get hung up about using dizzies if ds has a stomach upset or we're camping or something.

Indith Thu 11-Oct-12 13:28:32

The best way to avoid expensive mistakes is to get 1 or 2 of various types and then see what fits best. Sell on what you don't want and buy more of what you do.

They do look massive on their tiny newborn bums but that's all part of the charm for me. Even my ds1 at 6lb15oz at birth went straight into size 1 fluffles no problem.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now