This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Accessories - what do I need?

(53 Posts)
blonderthanred Sat 06-Oct-12 19:16:39

Ok, so my 8 Little Lambs OSFA nappies arrived and I'm looking at getting a few other brands too before the baby arrives in a few weeks. But what else do I need to make life run smoothly and unsmellily?

I assumed there'd be various accessory kits, but I can only find one or two - all with different contents - and I'm not sure if I'd be better buying stuff individually.

From what I've seen, the things I definitely need are:
A lidded bucket
Mesh bag (to go in bucket? Do I need 2 or more?)
Paper liners

And I possibly need:
A wet bag to take out and about
Special detergent? (Potion?)
Sanitiser (do I put this in the bucket?)

Reading threads here, maybe I should get some white vinegar too? Do I put that in the washing machine or in the bucket? What about tea tree oil? Is that just a smell thing? Anything else you've found helpful?

Would appreciate any advice - really want to make a success of this but I don't want to waste money buying stuff I don't need.

ValiumQueen Sun 07-Oct-12 09:26:51

Hello blonder and welcome to the wonderful world of nappies.

Bucket - not too big or storage will be a pain and the temptation is to wait until it is full. You could use a wet bag instead as you could hang that out of reach of toddlers. They are attracted to them like a moth to a flame. You could just use a bowl in the bath or put them straight in the washer. Do not feel you have to buy a special bucket. I use a corner one from Ikea. It was about £3.

Mesh bag - I had one when I wet-pailed. I find them too much of a faff now, so do not bother. I use one to prevent baby socks and breast pads disappearing, but not for nappies. They are meant to make it less icky getting the soiled nappies into the machine. It doesnt bother me tbh.

Paper liners - hate them. Fleece washables (home made) are much nicer. If they say they are flushable, do not believe them. You will not need a liner with your choice of nappy, as one is sewn in. An additional liner could result in leaks.

Wet bag - this is something I am going to treat myself to. There are some lovely ones now. You can use plastic nappy bags, or a swim bag. You do not need a fancy one. May be best to wait until you know washables are for you, and that you still want DC in them out and about. I sometimes use disposables as I cannot be arsed carrying pooey nappies around.

Special detergent- not necessary IMO. Just use the value detergent and about 1/4 to 1/2 of the amount you would think you need. Do not use 2 in 1s or fabric softener.

Sanitizer- not necessary IMO and can damage some nappies.

Vinegar - never used it, but good for getting rid of smells. Only need it if you get a smelly batch, and it is cheap. The clear stuff. It goes in machine on rinse cycle I think.

Tea tree oil - I used to wet-pail in a soak of this years ago. Not recommended now. Some put a cotton wool ball taped to the lid of bucket to mask smell.

I wash every 1 to 2 days. No more than 3 days or smells will happen. I rinse out poos as soon as possible, then dry pail. I do not rinse wet nappies, just bung in bucket. I do a cold rinse cycle before a 40 degree wash. Some prefer a hotter wash, but I have never needed to do that. I do an extra rinse and an extra spin too. I hang outside, on radiators (not direct) or on maid as weather dictates. Your LL OSFAs will dry overnight pretty much. They do not need tumbling.

Keep your costs down as much as you can until you know if is for you. Do not feel you need to use them the second baby is born. Take time to get into a bit of a routine, establish feeding etc before putting added pressure on yourself.

If you need a holiday from them, have one. Both mine will be in disposables until I am recovered from my section.

If they do not work for you, do not feel bad (send them to me) as they are additional work.

Do join in on the nappy chat thread. But be warned, it can be addictive.

Once you know if you like them, you could think about washable wipes. They need not cost much either - you can buy swanky packs, but not necessary to. I have yet to get into them.

What colours did you get?

blonderthanred Sun 07-Oct-12 13:47:23

Ah I knew I'd get some good advice and I suspected it might come from you!

Had a feeling all the 'essentials' would not necessarily be the case but there is so much info out there it's hard to pick out the sensible stuff.

I'm still tempted by the paper liners until I get used to it all but am aiming for a keep it simple approach. Luckily I have no toddlers or tumble dryer so that helps.

We are going for a 'green' theme with the baby (in colour as well as philosophy) - hoping to avoid too much gender specification - so naturally I have gone for a mix of green and white LLs.

ValiumQueen Sun 07-Oct-12 15:40:54

I have no life clearly grin and you soon will have a toddler!

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Sun 07-Oct-12 19:45:12

What valiumqueen said! I've converted to an extra large wetbag instead of a bucket and I much prefer it. Much less smelly and I just chuck the whole thing in the wash.

Totally agree about fleece liners - paper ones leave their wee bums wet. And I don't use any additives/vinegar etc - most manufacturers advise against it.

emsyj Sun 07-Oct-12 19:48:57

I've got a whole drawerful of 'flushable' paper liners if you want them - I tried them once, never again. They stick to baby's bum and are just a waste of time. I switched to fleece and they're tons better. Honestly, paper liners will not make your life easier. Until baby is weaned, poo is liquid anyway and the whole lot goes in the machine so the fleece liners keep baby's bum nice and dry and the idea that you could lift out a poo on a paper liner and then flush it before washing the rest of the nappy is just a nonsense IME - the poo soaks through everywhere so a paper liner is just an extra shit-covered item that you can't put in the nappy bucket and machine wash.

<rant over>
blush
As you were...

(PM me if you want the paper liners though!!!!)

blonderthanred Mon 08-Oct-12 23:02:27

Thank you for the advice - duly noted! I'm just going to get a bucket and take it from there.

Practised putting the nappies on a teddy yesterday much to my sister's amusement, she made the teddy wriggle and kick just for some added authenticity... thanks Sis! First baby in our family so everyone is quite excited and enjoying trying out all my baby stuff.

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 07:12:23

Aww. I remember putting nappies on a teddy and getting all excited. I was the last to start reproducing in my friends and family, so there was very little excitement from elsewhere, but being 37 I had plenty of my own stored up.

I hope you enjoy the nappies. If bfing the poos are ok until weaned. The novelty wears off a bit when the solid stinky poos come, but thankfully they are not every nappy.

I have yet to have a leak with washables that was their fault. I have neglected to check, resulting in a wet patch, but that would happen with a disposable. I had so many leaks with disposables, especially with the bf poos - right up into their hair! Eugh!

cloutiedumpling Tue 09-Oct-12 11:54:30

The best bucket I've found is actually one for food recycling. It is designed to be stored outside and so the catch on it is fox proof (or toddler proof). It also has a pretty good seal. For some reason our council decided to give me two food recycling bins so I decided to use one for nappies and one for food. When it is full it is pretty much a full machine load. I do use net bags. I find they make loading the machine much less icky but it is a matter of personal preference. I have a tots bots one which is great but also have cheapy ones from Dunelm Mill (3 bags for £1) which are just as good.

cloutiedumpling Tue 09-Oct-12 11:56:12

I wouldn't buy the mothercare nappy bucket. I did and find it is much too small for a machine load. If I put the machine on when there are only a few nappies I feel irritated that I'm not using it as efficiently as I could.

Peaky1 Tue 09-Oct-12 15:09:22

Joining in here as I'm in the same position as Blonder...

So, forgive the nappy (disposable or not) beginner. You take off a pooey nappy and just put it in a bucket with nothing in it? I mean apart from possible mesh liner. Doesn't it get a bit (lot) messy and extremely stinky? Do you do anything different to wet nappies compared to soiled? Also, what is dry paling?

Questions, questions!

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 15:28:07

Hello peaky welcome to the fluffy side!

If breast fed, the poos will be very runny and quite inoffensive. You can just roll them up and put in bucket, but I prefer to just rinse them a bit. A quick swish down a flushing loo, or in a separate bucket if you prefer. When baby starts on food, the poos get firmer and more stinky. Hopefully they will peel off down the loo, but may also need a quick rinse. They become less frequent at this stage.

Wet nappies just get rolled up and thrown in bucket.

You can tape a cotton wool ball to the lid of the bucket with a couple of drops of tea tree oil or lavender oil on it to help with smells.

Dry pailing is the opposite of soaking. You just put them in the bucket or pail without adding water.

My mum cannot get her head around dry pailing, as in her day, it was soaking in napisan and boil washing.

Peaky1 Tue 09-Oct-12 16:31:24

Someone who used terry towelling years ago mentioned to me about napisan. Is it not recommended to use it then?

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 16:40:34

Not with the modern nappies, no. Perishes the elastic or waterproof fabric or something, and with modern machines, it is not necessary. Washing at 40 is usually adequate, and only a small bit of detergent.

Peaky1 Tue 09-Oct-12 18:06:09

I see. Thanks for your help. Baby steps in the right direction!

On a different note I have to say I'm getting tired of people laughing and scoffing when I say I'm going to try reusable nappies. Apparently it's hassle that isn't worth it. I may change my mind but washing is the only ball ache surely?

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 18:18:20

Washing stubborn poos is the only ball ache, but you will be washing less shit out than other mums in the early days as reusables often explode so you need to wash all their clothes, plus bath the little scraps too. The amount of washing that comes with a new addition is considerable, so a few extra loads a week will not notice.

On days when I find it all a bit much, I think to myself for each nappy change that is 20p saved. It helps me anyway.

Use washables as you want. Do not be a slave to them. If you want to use disposables when out and about, or on holidays then do so. I do not miss having two weeks of nappies in the wheels bin.

This time I will be using washable wipes too, as they are expensive so a big saving can be made there also. I plan to make my own. Soon. I do. Honest.

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 18:19:56

And their bums look so cute in washables! I find babies are easier to hold on to with a squidgy bum.

You save money on creams, and less likely to get nappy rash.

mummysmellsofsick Tue 09-Oct-12 18:37:40

What Valium said.

We use Bum Genius which are similar I think to your osfas.

We have a bum genius bucket liner in our bucket, I have two of those which I alternate and that means I don't have to handle the nappies at all or wash the bucket, not that I really care about handling them, baby poo isn't so bad if it's your own baby.

Then I have three sizes of monkey foot wet bags for out and about, and 25 cheeky wipes which are fab. We store clean dry ones in a pile and used ones in the nappy pail. We dry them rather than doing the wet storage thing that they recommend.

That's it. I agree paper liners are useless. Just scrape poo off with toilet roll or hold against the flush. After weaning most poos roll off and before weaning they smell nice anyway. I loved those orange bf poos smile

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 18:42:49

mummy perhaps saying they smell nice might be a slight exaggeration? I plan to use the dry wipes too, with a spray bottle. I have the bottle and got a tub today.

Monkey foot bags are the dogs bollocks!

mummysmellsofsick Tue 09-Oct-12 18:47:52

Never needed vinegar, just do a cold rinse, tiny amount of ecover liquid and a 40 or 60 wash depending how much poo stuck on. Line dry when possible. Although we never do, we don't have a garden. It's totally doable and loads of benefits... My DS has never had nappy rash and he's nearly 1. I put it down to the bamboo wipes and water rather than chemical wipes. Also I only wash/ wipe him after poos and in the bath once a day with Weleda cream wash, I think too much washing takes the natural oils out of their delicate skin.

We only use disposables on long days out, holiday and recently when we had a tummy bug. Other than that it's been no trouble at all.

What are you doing for nights btw? Might need a different night nappy... We have bamboozles & motherease wraps for night

mummysmellsofsick Tue 09-Oct-12 18:49:44

valium no really I loved those orange poos so much I considered delaying weaning him

ValiumQueen Tue 09-Oct-12 18:55:51

Bamboozles are also the dogs bollocks. Jealous of mummys stash. And sense of smell. And cheeky wipes. And bum genius! But I do have a giraffe and a cow print nappy, and a tiger on order grin

mummysmellsofsick Tue 09-Oct-12 19:03:07

grin

Peaky1 Tue 09-Oct-12 19:13:38

This is all great encouragement at the right time so thanks. My friend who has a 2 month all noticed I 'liked' a nappy library service on Facebook and asked my intentions. I said I was going to borrow and see how I get on for x-reasons and he said 'you're mad! Have you seen what the poo is like?!'. I just said 'Yep! Like I said, trying first to see how I get on'.

Getting tired of people (albeit innocently) scoffing at homebirth, reusable wipes and nappies. I think it makes me a bit more determined out of spite with my hormones!

mummysmellsofsick Tue 09-Oct-12 19:22:49

Giraffe and cow print? Don't tempt me envy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now