This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Wool Nappy covers

(12 Posts)
Tchaikovsky Thu 04-Oct-12 09:12:44

Wha are anyone's thoughts on these please?

ValiumQueen Thu 11-Oct-12 09:00:29

I have been pondering wool for a while. Never tried it though. I notice from the other thread that you are liking them? I would like to try them at night (on baby not me).

What have you got?

What are your thoughts?

Tchaikovsky Fri 12-Oct-12 07:50:07

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ValiumQueen Fri 12-Oct-12 09:38:41

Just visited that website. Looks good I must admit. The thing that concerns me is lack of washing and the re-lanolising process, but I guess you get used to it. Do they whiff of wee after a while? I cannot even reuse a pul wrap, even if it is dry. I have to wash it otherwise I feel like a bad mother (daft). I can knit and was thinking of making one, but a trial sounds better as wool can cost a fair it.

Tchaikovsky Sat 13-Oct-12 09:04:25

No, it's amazing but they don't smell. The lanolising is easy , although a bit scarythe first time you do it. I found that when they were new, they needed doing again quite soon, (you do it if they start to get whiffy or not be as waterproof as they were) but now its only every couple of months or so. Go for the trial - it's a really good wy of discovering them, and if you can knit, you can always knit your own if you get hooked like I have LOL

Tchaikovsky Sun 04-Nov-12 08:49:15

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

ValiumQueen Mon 05-Nov-12 13:35:24

I am a recent convert to fleece, but like it that fleece can be washed. I hope to knit a couple of soakers when I have the time. It is the cost that is putting me off tbh.

Drladybird Tue 13-Nov-12 10:18:58

We used a set of wool wraps for a while (so long as they fit) to try and prevent nappy rash by having a breathable outer. They were good. They worked well and it was no problem to wash and re-lanolise. However, they did start to smell a wee bit (literally) so would probably need airing every so often. But a good alternative to plastic wraps. Keep babies warm in the winter too probably.

ChunkyPickle Tue 13-Nov-12 10:27:20

I do like the idea, but I just can't imagine why they wouldn't smell of wee.

Hell, my child smells of wee sometimes, and he's frequently washed and has his bum aired, so I don't see how a garment especially designed to soak up any excess wee won't smell pretty quickly - and during winter, when I'm not going to be able to air both the cover and the child as frequently, and we're in the close confines of a nice warm house most of the day?

Nooo.. noo. I think that nice, washable fleece is probably the best way..

swampster Tue 13-Nov-12 11:22:46

I think wool is nicer than fleece. But it has to be the right wool - Disana shorties from Twinkle are a brilliant and inexpensive starting point and they are much cuter on than they look.

You will need to lanolise (soak in a lanolin solution or spray with liquid lanolin) before use.

And they really don't smell of wee.

thestylethatdecadesforgot Mon 28-Jan-13 17:15:26

Just wondering if I can resurrect this thread. Could anyone tell me where they buy their lanolin from please? I have some with instructions in German and I'm not 100% sure because I have a new cover and I seem to be regularly relanolising it as the nappy itself is really smelly (not the cover) and I guessed this meant the wool wasn't doing its job correctly. Any ideas anyone?

Tchaikovsky Fri 07-Jun-13 07:27:55

I have just tried some new lanolin emulsion, which is amazing. I've used solid before, but this new one is just so much easier to use, 'cus you don't have to melt it and add stuff to make it dissolve in the water. You just add the emulsion to warm water and that's it. I got a sample pot with a soaker from Little Pants Nappies (gorgeous stuff BTW) It's a new product. Really impressed

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now