Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Reusable Nappies at Nursery?

(12 Posts)
rrreow Wed 03-Oct-12 13:56:06

DS (16m) has just started part time at a state nursery, it's a 3:1 child/staff ratio. We use all in one reusables (Bambino Mio Solo) which I thought would be ideal, but DH thinks it's not realistic to expect the nursery to use them. I admit they take a few seconds longer to put on than a disposable, but they're still the most faff-free reusables I've come across. For now we've been sending DS to nursery with disposables. I'm having a hard time with this, both from the point of view of spending money on the disposables and the environmental impact.

Does anyone have experience with using reusable nappies at nursery? Any tips, or advice to strengthen my 'case'?

Hi rrreow

No experience myself yet, but this is something I will be asking at a nursery visit tomorrow (we will be using the same nappies as you) so I'll let you know what they say.

It's not a state nursery but I'm not sure that should matter?

I agree with you that the all-in-ones are barely any different to a disposable, except maybe for the liner (but if you supply them with the liner already in, surely no problem?).

SarryB Wed 03-Oct-12 22:08:19

I can't see how it's a problem, if you've got ones that require no assembling at all.

MirandaWest Wed 03-Oct-12 22:09:32

DD had reusable nappies at nursery. They were tots bots with mother ease wraps. Nursery was fine with them - just put them in a bag for me each day.

LadyWidmerpool Wed 03-Oct-12 22:14:39

We do it. We send our baby in with nappies ready folded and a wet bag. They are fine with it. We use Tots Bots easy fits which are in one piece so we don't need wraps. The fees include nappies so they ate saving money!

YoullLaughAboutItOneDay Wed 03-Oct-12 22:16:09

As long as they are pre-stuffed/assembled ,I don't see why not. Particularly velcro styles.

neontetra Wed 03-Oct-12 22:19:22

My nursery are happy for us to use reuseables. Think most are, nowadays.

WantAnOrange Sat 13-Oct-12 19:53:09

I've worked in a couple of nurseries and both had a couple children with reusables. I'm a childminder now and would be happy to take a child in real nappies.

There was one member of staff in one of the nurseries that had a real problem with it but she never said anything to the parent and couldn't refuse anyway so tuff luck for her!

ManifestingMingeHooHoosAgain Sat 13-Oct-12 19:54:52

Mine started at pre-school in real nappies, it wasn't a problem at all. We used a mixture of pockets and two parters so I made sure pockets went to nursery.

YBR Sun 02-Dec-12 16:39:38

We asked this when visiting nurseries and it did vary. One supplied the nappies and would not have taken/used my cloth nappies. Others seemed perfectly willing.
Do you think your nursery staff would be unwilling?
(as it happened DH was still unemployed when I returned to work so he's now the SAHD so no direct experience here]

BikeRunSki Sun 02-Dec-12 17:02:49

Our nursery (private) was quite happy to use DS's AIO nappies. I sent dry ones on every day, they sent wet ones home every night.

COCKadoodledooo Sun 02-Dec-12 18:27:33

We used two part Motherease ones for ds2 and his nursery were fine with them. Actually we vetoed another hideously expensive lovely nursery because they simply refused to consider them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now