Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

How to clean reusables once they get to the stage...

(14 Posts)
jennimoo Thu 01-Nov-12 15:54:02

I left mine on the line for a week in the rain, worked brilliantly after stripping didn't!

RillaBlythe Sat 27-Oct-12 11:26:12

Daft question - do they have to be clean to be strip washed, or can I do it when I wash my dirties next?

lolajane2009 Fri 26-Oct-12 11:38:39

I wash mine without powder at 60 when they get like that

RillaBlythe Thu 25-Oct-12 20:49:15

Indith tell me more about the Ecoballs.

SilverSixpence Fri 21-Sep-12 13:40:50

I found that vinegar and a few drops of tea tree oil added to the wash stopped them smelling

Aloha31 Fri 21-Sep-12 13:39:13

Great tips, thank you! Will get on the case re. strip washing!

BertieBotts Mon 17-Sep-12 18:10:27

Yep you need to strip wash them every few months.

Notgrownupinmyhead Mon 17-Sep-12 18:07:48

I use the dishwasher tablet method which has worked for me.

Cold rinse, 60deg wash with tablet then a cold rinse then dry.

I use TotsBots and was told by them to always use a full dose of soap powder when washing from then on. We are teething and the honk of ammonia in the morning is eye watering!!

Indith Sun 16-Sep-12 20:54:38

Deff give them a good stripping. You say you prewash is that hot or cold? You need to do cold before the main wash to avoid setting in the smell. I jsut do a rinse then put them on a 60 quick wash and I use ecoballs for the nappies so never get a detergent build up.

junemami Sun 16-Sep-12 20:51:03

As far as I know wee smells are usually due to a detergent build up. Good instructions for strip washing on the Nappy Lady website

TribbleTuckandDismount Sat 15-Sep-12 21:50:58

Aloha Are you using enough washing powder? Also what are you using? I can recomend several billion methods of strip washing.

It may be worth noting that teething can cause wee to stink like there is no tomorrow.

PurplePidjin Sat 15-Sep-12 21:12:26

Strip wash with washing up liquid? I've only heard about it (done lots of research, 6 months pg with dc1), but i think you do a pre-wash, wash at 60 with a tiny bit of washing up liquid, then keep running rinse cycles until there are no more bubbles

Not sure if you can do it on AIOs, but Google is your friend smile

Nigglenaggle Sat 15-Sep-12 21:05:44

We periodically soak for about 2hrs in bleach before putting in the washer as normal. Bambino mio is the soak we use

Aloha31 Sat 15-Sep-12 13:24:30

...where they constantly smell of wee?!

I have used them for 6 months now and usually wash them at 60 degrees plus pre-wash with napisan.

Should I now soak them overnight in bleach? If so, how much bleach per water?

Or put bleach in the washing machine? How much?!

Thank you!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now