Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

washable wipes

(14 Posts)
Indith Tue 04-Sep-12 08:23:17

I use fleece liners rather than paper. Everything comes up fine. With baby poo it is liquid anyway so all rinses out in the machine. With more proper poo you use the liner to wipe the worst off the bum then plop anything solid off the liner into the loo and then wipe. And yes, everythign comes up clean. With flushable liners surely just use the liner to wipe the worst off and flush, or use a bit of loo roll for the first wipe if you are worried.

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Mon 03-Sep-12 22:01:33

Hi sleepless smile

I use fleece liners as I didn't like the fact that the flushable ones felt wet on her bum - the fleece ones feel so much more comfy. I just wash them with the nappies and they come up beautifully. Occasionally there's a bit of staining which suns out, but that's no different from the nappies themselves. I just do a separate rinse before the main wash, which pretty much gets rid of it.

sleeplessinderbyshire Mon 03-Sep-12 20:00:02

Do they really come up clean? Even with loads of poo on ? I use flushable liners as worry about washing machine full of poo but even so there is always loads of poo adherent to her bottom thaf needs wiping off

Mumlar Mon 03-Sep-12 19:40:58

I just used to wash them with the nappies. I cut up an old, loudly patterned towel for bum wiping, then I never got confused with face flannels.

Indith Mon 03-Sep-12 19:37:51

I just wash with the nappies, I see no difference. I use poundland baby flannels for wipes and have a basket of larger face cloths for yoghurt smeared faces after meals.

sleeplessinderbyshire Mon 03-Sep-12 19:30:12

Wicketkeeper, i do know who you are! The internet it seems is a small place!

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Mon 03-Sep-12 18:47:53

(my DD1, N, is 3 months older than B and my DD2, T is about 5 months older than S - not really "out" here, but you'll probably be able to work out who I am from that!)

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Mon 03-Sep-12 12:41:57

And oh! I recognised the question and then the name and realise I know you from Another Site! wink

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Mon 03-Sep-12 12:41:15

I use fleece/terry double wipes as I like to use the fleece side for just pees and the terry side for poos - it would be very easy to get different patterned fleece ones do you know which are which?

trix377 Fri 31-Aug-12 09:32:26

I wash my knickers with my handkerchiefs - granted I have bowel control but it doesn't bother me.

And yes, I have handkerchiefs!

rrreow Thu 30-Aug-12 17:59:33

I loooooove my washable wipes, even if I stopped using reusable nappies I'd never go back to disposable wipes as they're just much less effective than cloth ones. I personally have two sets (different colours) one is kept on the dinner table, the other on the changing table. I wash them all together with my nappies (rinse first, then wash). They come out really nice and clean.

The wipes I have (cheeky wipes) come with some essential oil drops that you put in the container where you keep them which makes them smell nice and keeps them fresh (although I've run out of it now, so just got some lavender essential oil from Boots). They recommend washing every other day (even the unused ones) to keep them smelling fresh. I personally don't have any problem using the changing table wipes on my face (I use it to remove makeup - works a treat and really gentle on skin as well, not as rough as a washcloth).

I can understand if people don't want to use the bum wipes on faces out of principle, but personally I think after a 30 min rinse and then 3 hour wash cycle any poo will definitely have left the building!!

Yorky Thu 30-Aug-12 13:00:36

You can get different colour wipes so you could have one colour for faces and another for bums?
I find washable wipes easier with washable nappies, rather than binning disposable wipes separately

Iburntthecakes Thu 30-Aug-12 12:44:06

I just wash them with the nappies as I don't see any difference between washable nappies and washable wipes.

However, I don't use them for washing faces or hands and keep some others separate for that.

sleeplessinderbyshire Thu 30-Aug-12 12:27:39

onto child number 2 and using washable nappies again. I keep seeing washable wipes and can see these would be great for hands/faces but I feel pretty anxious about wiping poo with one washing it and using again (especially if the next time was for a face/hand). My mum went mental at me not using napisan for the nappies (i just ignore her as I know modern advice is not to but I have started using biological washing powder with 2 extra rinses for my nappies). How do you keep washable wipes hygienic?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now